Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modest modding?  (Read 1820 times)

vintermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modest modding?
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:39:27 am »

Hi,

Just coming back into Dwarf Fortress after a little break, I see that there are a couple of issues with things being broken, that can be worked around with a raw change. Currently, I understand Dungeon Masters never arrive, so many people mod PET_EXOTIC into PET, that sort of thing. I've heard that [GOOD] and [EVIL] plants are a little buggy, and it seems so - at least, I have yet to see a single glumprong or sunberry turn up in any of the appropriate embarks. Haven't seen a single kobold - is it right that they all starve at year 4 in world gen?

There were always such issues in DF as far as I can remember, and people working around them rather than wait for a proper fix to come out.

What I'm looking for is a modest mod - one that works around stuff that doesn't work, and maybe adds a few very reasonable things, but otherwise leaves Toady's vision for the game as untouched as possible. I can do some of this stuff myself, and I have, but I'm sure I'm not 100% up to date and what needs to be worked around and how to do it.

Is there such a mod?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modest modding?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 08:56:33 am »

Sounds like a pretty good idea for a mod.

I think it is possible to make the Dungeon Master appointable now, so that might be less labor intensive.

I also put [SHELL] into my horns and hooves so that I can use them for moods. Since shells rot eventually and shell bearing fish always run out rather quickly. It kindof adds to the fun as well to put Unicorn horn and stuff on an artifact. I have to say though, that in my current 31.25 fort I haven't seen a shell request after nearly 70 or so artifacts.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:03:55 am »

Woulw be nice if LNP had these fixes applied by default.

I've modded [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET], gave kobolds and dwarves [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] for the duration of world gen, and gave elves their diplomats back. Also beard for dwarf women, obviously.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:05:28 am by kotekzot »
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:27:18 pm »

I've modded [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET], gave kobolds and dwarves [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] for the duration of world gen, and gave elves their diplomats back. Also beard for dwarf women, obviously.

How did you give the diplomats back? And do they work like the dwarven liaison now? Do you have to gen a new world? share share

btw this is the program for removing exotic tags http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59411.0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:29:15 pm by Acperience »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 04:10:05 pm »

Well, if you delete all enemy civs except goblins from Genesis, then it's pretty faithful to Toady's worlds. Recently I've added more tree species (in three quality categories) and lots of minerals.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 05:19:23 pm »

Perhaps we should assemble a list of all the specific things that need fixing?  Or maybe two lists, one for the things that everybody agrees about (e.g. pets) and the other for things that might be reasonable, but not vital (e.g. beards for women).

Vital changes (that I can think of):
  • The pet problem: either change PET_EXOTIC to PET, or fix the dungeon master's arrival trigger (I prefer the second myself)
  • Bring Diplomats back
  • Scale, chitin, and feathers are useless right now - give the first two SHELL, and maybe PEARL for the third?
  • Make GOOD and EVIL plants show up again
  • All races should survive worldgen
  • Large grazers starving to death - tweak GRAZER values

Optional changes (ditto):
  • Basic Adventure Mode reactions (tanning, crafts, basic gear, etc.)
  • Allow dwarves and elves to build worldgen castles (until their towns work again)
  • Tweak aboveground shrubs to be more visually distinct
  • Tweak food values (seriously, dwarven syrup?)
  • Slightly increase soldiers' skill gain rate in combat and learning skills so we don't have to resort to danger rooms

What else?

And Cephalo, I'm pretty sure you can already use horns and hooves in moods.  They're of the HORN type.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 05:35:47 pm »

Actually dwarves will not ask for shell unless they have a specific "like" for it anymore. So far less likely to ruin a mood.

Still probably not a terrible idea.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 05:49:00 pm »

I've modded chitin to be tannable. I might add chitin armor sometime.

Using a bash terminal it is quite easy to remove PET_EXOTIC from all creatures. just do >sed --in-place 's/PET_EXOTIC/PET' *.txt
Make sure to backup your files first. You never know.

I made glumprongs occur in salty swamps exclusively now, but since [GOOD] and [EVIL] are bugged I had to remove the tag. Silver barbs don't yet appear, and neither do sun berries.

I've also added in some more kinds of wood, including apple trees, ebony, cherry trees, etc. I also alphabetized all minerals and trees and reworked mineral values and occurrence.

However, I think I've strayed a bit in other places. I've added in sprited Nords (with viking soldier tiles) as well as reworked steel making along with the addition of wolfram and titanium, as well as countless fictional steel alloys.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:15:47 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 07:31:14 pm »

You can also do it in notepad via find/replace

I think it's in the edit menu, under "replace". Good for removing aquifers if that's your preference too.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 08:17:17 pm »

The issue is that you have to do it for every file. Typing in a quick command that searches the raws and replaces every instance is more convenient. But you're right, obviously.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:18:04 pm »

Well I could use a side project. I'll see what I can cook up, in the mean time, my $0.02

* Give milkable creatures different milking times, the more they graze, the more frequently they give milk.
* Lower the Egg count to one egg (chick-splosions are bad enough)
* A little bit of underground diversity when it comes to domestic animals. Cave Crabs, Cave Cows, Cave Goats, Giant Lizards (eggs), Veracious Rats (bread quickly trainable_war), Copper Crawler (bread slowly mature slowly trainable_war body is a spider but doesn't spit webs skin is made of copper)
* Stronger Megabeasts.

However, I think I've strayed a bit in other places. I've added in fully sprited Nords (with viking soldier tiles) as well as reworked steel making along with the addition of wolfram and titanium, as well as countless fictional steel alloys.

Personally, I would love to see these :) But I think it should be an optional file or omitted as that isn't what the mod is focusing on.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 09:46:57 pm »

How did you give the diplomats back? And do they work like the dwarven liaison now? Do you have to gen a new world? share share

btw this is the program for removing exotic tags http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59411.0
Well, fixed may have been a bold word to use. I think I have, but I haven't advanced enough to see if it did work. Other players didn't see a problem with my changes, though. I added the following to elves' entity definition
Code: [Select]
[POSITION:DIPLOMAT]
[NAME:diplomat:diplomats]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_INTRODUCTIONS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_PEACE_AGREEMENTS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_TOPIC_AGREEMENTS]
[APPOINTED_BY:MONARCH]
[PRECEDENCE:70]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:7:0:1]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[DEMAND_MAX:3]
[REQUIRED_BOXES:3]
[REQUIRED_CABINETS:2]
[REQUIRED_RACKS:2]
[REQUIRED_STANDS:2]
[REQUIRED_OFFICE:1500]
[REQUIRED_BEDROOM:1500]
[REQUIRED_DINING:1500]
Actually looking at it now there may be a responsibility tag missing, or perhaps it's not even implemented, that would get them to demand you stop cutting down trees. Still, a diplomat dying should always lead to a siege, so there's that.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 10:59:21 pm »

• The pet problem: either change PET_EXOTIC to PET
  • chitin is usable
  • Large grazers starving to death - tweak GRAZER values
  • Basic Adventure Mode reactions (tanning, crafts, basic gear, etc.)
  • Tweak food values (seriously, dwarven syrup?)
  • Slightly increase soldiers' skill gain rate in combat and learning skills so we don't have to resort to danger rooms
The abovementioned have been fixed in Genesis. Most races do survive worldgen.
darkfortress/town for civs that have unfinished town types, very easily fixable for adventure players.
I would add two things to your list: "more realistic speeds and NaturalSkills to animals." "Dragons and trolls are made of tougher flesh than common human/kitten flesh." Which I have contributed to Genesis.

* A little bit of underground diversity when it comes to domestic animals. Cave Crabs, Cave Cows, Cave Goats, Giant Lizards (eggs), Veracious Rats (bread quickly trainable_war),
* Stronger Megabeasts.
Both done in Genesis. I have "Pekyt" toughmaterials cave-sheep (does not give wool, but butcher for toughleather and toughbones). Got large rats and giant rats. Got regular rabbits and dog-sized scorpions in caves. Caves got Mud Snakes and Red Frogs, easily harvestable slow-moving cave animals. (outdoors has Bog Frog swarm easy killins)

I claim that Genesis is totally faithful to Toady's vision, if delete all but one enemy species. It's evident that Toady does not have time to fine-tune plants and animals.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:20:14 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 11:19:34 pm »

Well I could use a side project. I'll see what I can cook up, in the mean time, my $0.02

* Give milkable creatures different milking times, the more they graze, the more frequently they give milk.
* Lower the Egg count to one egg (chick-splosions are bad enough)
* A little bit of underground diversity when it comes to domestic animals. Cave Crabs, Cave Cows, Cave Goats, Giant Lizards (eggs), Veracious Rats (bread quickly trainable_war), Copper Crawler (bread slowly mature slowly trainable_war body is a spider but doesn't spit webs skin is made of copper)
* Stronger Megabeasts.

However, I think I've strayed a bit in other places. I've added in fully sprited Nords (with viking soldier tiles) as well as reworked steel making along with the addition of wolfram and titanium, as well as countless fictional steel alloys.

Personally, I would love to see these :) But I think it should be an optional file or omitted as that isn't what the mod is focusing on.
Frankly, I think it should be as vanilla as possible. EXOTIC_PET fixes, graze rate fixes, more balanced milking times for grazing, size fixes for some smaller animals that are butchered, world-gen surviving kobolds, and GOOD/EVIL plant fixes, and just stuff like that.

At its best, it just keeps vanilla feeling vanilla with less annoyances, and at its worst, it'll be a solid modding base with bare "essential" corrections to vanilla DF.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 11:38:18 pm »

Actually looking at it now there may be a responsibility tag missing, or perhaps it's not even implemented, that would get them to demand you stop cutting down trees. Still, a diplomat dying should always lead to a siege, so there's that.

The Tree warning is due to a separate count of how many trees you've cut down. Then you're warned, and if you keep at it...

The Diplomat just reads the number (if Zero applause else scowl).

If I'm wrong I've misread the wiki and the text files in the data dirs.
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.
Pages: [1] 2