Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Modest modding?  (Read 1819 times)

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modest modding?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 03:00:44 am »

Frankly, I think it should be as vanilla as possible. EXOTIC_PET fixes, graze rate fixes, more balanced milking times for grazing, size fixes for some smaller animals that are butchered, world-gen surviving kobolds, and GOOD/EVIL plant fixes, and just stuff like that.

At its best, it just keeps vanilla feeling vanilla with less annoyances, and at its worst, it'll be a solid modding base with bare "essential" corrections to vanilla DF.

I absolutely agree.  The focus for a "modest mod" should be fine-tuning what's already there, not adding more content.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 05:38:40 am »

I just thought I'd share what i've come up with for scales, chitin, feathers, maybe someone can use this (though it's not strictly "vanilla" fixes, it doesn't add new reaction or anything)
Add to Scales Material Template :

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SCALE][ITEMS_LEATHER][LEATHER]

Add to Chitin Material Template :

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:CHITIN][ITEMS_LEATHER][LEATHER]

Add to Feathers Material Template :

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:FEATHER][ITEMS_LEATHER][LEATHER]

Now, dwarves make/wear scale, Chitin and Feather clothing ariticles. It's like the tanning mod but a lot less changes to the code.

Some of my dwarves turned up in Cave Lobster Chitin Caps and Giant Eagle Feather Caps when I ran this.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:52:01 am by Reelyanoob »

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 12:32:22 pm »

Making those materials work the same as leather never seemed right to me.  You tan hides into leather because they'll rot if you don't, but scales, chitin, and feathers don't rot.  Plus, the idea of a chitin veil or a pair of feather shoes is a strange one.

To make scales and chitin into shells, add [SHELL][ITEMS_SCALED] to their material template.  For feathers... well, I still don't know what feathers should count as.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 02:24:54 pm »

To bring back Elven diplomats:
Code: [Select]
[POSITION:DIPLOMAT]
[NAME:Diplomat:Diplomats]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_INTRODUCTIONS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_PEACE_AGREEMENTS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_TOPIC_AGREEMENTS]
[APPOINTED_BY:DRUID]
[PRECEDENCE:70]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:7:0:1]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DUTY_BOUND]

To bring back Human Merchant Nobles (i.e. the Guild Representative):
[POSITION:GUILD_REPRESENTATIVE]
[NAME:Guild Representative:Guild Representatives]
[RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]
[PRECEDENCE:40]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]

Also, to "properly" bring back the Dungeon Master, Hammerer, and Tax Collector, add "[LAND_HOLDER:1]" to their definitions (and possibly replace their [APPOINTED_BY:*] with [APPOINTED_BY:MONARCH]) and they'll be appointed by the Outpost Liaison exactly as with the Baron.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 03:52:03 pm »

Making those materials work the same as leather never seemed right to me.  You tan hides into leather because they'll rot if you don't, but scales, chitin, and feathers don't rot.  Plus, the idea of a chitin veil or a pair of feather shoes is a strange one.

To make scales and chitin into shells, add [SHELL][ITEMS_SCALED] to their material template.  For feathers... well, I still don't know what feathers should count as.

Alligator's get 'scale' rather than skin. At the moment, it's impossible to get alligator leather. It makes sense that the "scales" is the entire skin/scale layer. Perfectly sensible to skin and tan an alligator or crocodile. Reptile skin certainly does rot if not treated btw.

I did admit feathers was a bit iffy, chitin is questionable too. Although all 3 of these substances do definitely rot.

Probably the best would be scale=>leather, chitin=>[SHELL], feathers=>(hoof or something?)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:58:59 pm by Reelyanoob »

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 03:59:56 pm »

[POSITION:DIPLOMAT]
[NAME:Diplomat:Diplomats]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_INTRODUCTIONS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_PEACE_AGREEMENTS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_TOPIC_AGREEMENTS]
[APPOINTED_BY:DRUID]
[PRECEDENCE:70]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DUTY_BOUND]

[POSITION:GUILD_REPRESENTATIVE]
[NAME:Guild Representative:Guild Representatives]
[RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]
[PRECEDENCE:40]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]

Also, to "properly" bring back the Dungeon Master, Hammerer, and Tax Collector, add "[LAND_HOLDER:1]" to their definitions (and possibly replace their [APPOINTED_BY:*] with [APPOINTED_BY:MONARCH]) and they'll be appointed by the Outpost Liaison exactly as with the Baron.

Does a siege ensue after their death?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 04:06:17 pm »

Would it be better to simply have the Dungeon Master and Tax Collectors be appointed by the Mayor? If they are appointed by the Mountainhome, once they die you'll never have successors to those positions due to bugginess with the way appointments work.

I've also tested both in one of my recent mods. They don't do anything; their responsibility tags account for no behavior.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 05:24:33 pm »

Does a siege ensue after their death?

Unless you've got really strong trade relations, then yes, a siege will ensue.

Would it be better to simply have the Dungeon Master and Tax Collectors be appointed by the Mayor? If they are appointed by the Mountainhome, once they die you'll never have successors to those positions due to bugginess with the way appointments work.

I've also tested both in one of my recent mods. They don't do anything; their responsibility tags account for no behavior.
Using which appointment method? Manually (i.e. your method) or triggered via outpost liaison (my method)? I ask because the game itself definitely considers them to be different - if you change the Baron to be appointed manually, you will not get "The surrounding lands have been made a barony".
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:26:38 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 01:50:00 pm »

Under which circumstances do the elven diplomats and merchant nobles appear??

I modded these into a test fort along with other things (I re-genned), I'm getting elven and human (and goblin) caravans but I haven't seen the elven diplomats or the merchant nobles.... do I have to get to a specific point or what?
Pages: 1 [2]