Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 785406 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4935 on: September 15, 2011, 01:06:05 am »

Relevant to pedophile rehabilitation: "Curing" pedophilia is effectively equivalent to "curing" homosexuality. It's a sexual attraction, it can't be changed. (Please note, I'm referring to the attraction itself, not anything that... results from it)

Arguments in 3...

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:41 am »

The way I see it is that paedophilia is the same as sociopathy. Ain't no cure, and they are going to cause a lot of trouble.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: September 15, 2011, 01:46:53 am »

No "cure" is necessary for pedophilia. All that needs to be done is prevention of rape. Pedophiles are in no different position from anyone else; no sex with people who don't give consent. And on that note, I'm one of the people who thinks the age of consent should be drastically lowered. I knew what it was all about at 11 or so; hitting 16 didn't magically give me the capacity to know what sex is and whether or not I wanted to have it with anyone.

As for those into younger kids... Best I can say is there needs to be proper outlets. So, no bullshit like convicting people for thought crimes should exist. There are outlets for it without victims that actually exist.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: September 15, 2011, 02:08:38 am »

No "cure" is necessary for pedophilia. All that needs to be done is prevention of rape. Pedophiles are in no different position from anyone else; no sex with people who don't give consent. And on that note, I'm one of the people who thinks the age of consent should be drastically lowered. I knew what it was all about at 11 or so; hitting 16 didn't magically give me the capacity to know what sex is and whether or not I wanted to have it with anyone.

As for those into younger kids... Best I can say is there needs to be proper outlets. So, no bullshit like convicting people for thought crimes should exist. There are outlets for it without victims that actually exist.
The reason the age of consent is so high is not because of knowledge of sex. Hell, I knew what sex was when I was in the third grade. It's to allow for rational decision making.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: September 15, 2011, 02:12:42 am »

You can't tell me adults are any more or less rational decision makers. Any difference in decision making is a result the person's experience (or lack thereof), and if we're arbitrarily labeling people inexperienced based on something like age, you'll start seeing a lot of words like "prejudice" and "stereotyping" from me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:14:29 am by kaijyuu »
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: September 15, 2011, 02:14:05 am »

I think the age should be 16, no lower.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #4941 on: September 15, 2011, 02:21:18 am »

This argument does lead into statutory rape and such, and from there into legal age limits in general. While no age magically gives you the ability to make rational decisions, a legal age is the best guess and the average. There is absolutely no reason to go down to the lowest common denominator. Legal age of consent should be 16 or so at the highest.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: September 15, 2011, 02:23:42 am »

Ideally there shouldn't be any arbitrary cutoff at all, but there are numerous logistical issues to determining when someone's "ready" to give consent or not.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #4943 on: September 15, 2011, 02:24:59 am »

The problem with not having legal ages is that court processes would be excruciatingly slow.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: September 15, 2011, 02:27:31 am »

Except kids ARE less rational decision makers, and it's because of lack of experience. And, plainly, they can be impulsive on their decision. There are a LOT of underage smokers and drinkers simply because they've been told it's the "best fing evar", and if I had a nickle for every kid that wanted to eat nothing but candy and pop for a whole day (I know I've wanted to to that a few times) , I would drown in nickles.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: September 15, 2011, 02:28:05 am »

Relevant to pedophile rehabilitation: "Curing" pedophilia is effectively equivalent to "curing" homosexuality. It's a sexual attraction, it can't be changed. (Please note, I'm referring to the attraction itself, not anything that... results from it)

Arguments in 3...

As far as I'm concerned, I'm definitely arguing more about the behavior than the inclination, although I'd consider the inclination itself unhealthy. I do not think comparing it to homosexuality is warranted. Homosexuality can result in positive social relationships; pedophilia cannot. It is an unhealthy thing for that reason, but the behavior is the important part.

This argument does lead into statutory rape and such, and from there into legal age limits in general. While no age magically gives you the ability to make rational decisions, a legal age is the best guess and the average. There is absolutely no reason to go down to the lowest common denominator. Legal age of consent should be 16 or so at the highest.

If anything, the age of consent should be getting higher, not lower, as (socially speaking) people mature at an older age than they did before. In fact, that's probably why the trend has been higher age of consent, but there are probably other reasons for that too.

Ideally there shouldn't be any arbitrary cutoff at all, but there are numerous logistical issues to determining when someone's "ready" to give consent or not.

That's the problem. It would be nice if we could come up with some objective way of saying "okay, you're ready to vote/drink/have sex with 40-year-old men now as a responsible adult" but no such test is possible, and even if it were, there are political issues (would you really want to give anyone the right to decide how to test for those things?). Hence arbitrary cutoffs.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: September 15, 2011, 02:39:57 am »

Except kids ARE less rational decision makers, and it's because of lack of experience. And, plainly, they can be impulsive on their decision. There are a LOT of underage smokers and drinkers simply because they've been told it's the "best fing evar", and if I had a nickle for every kid that wanted to eat nothing but candy and pop for a whole day (I know I've wanted to to that a few times) , I would drown in nickles.
Adults are just as impulsive and prone to following trends.

While I'll agree that having experience in a subject will lead to more rational decisions on that subject, A) gaining experience has some obvious requirements that limiting exposure to prevents acquisition of, and B) claiming everyone under X age is <insert whatever you want here> will result in lots of crying bullshit from me for stereotyping. There's nothing preventing a 12 year old from making a rational decision on the subject. That doesn't mean every 12 year old can, but it sure as hell means that we shouldn't assume every 12 year old can't.

If anything, the age of consent should be getting higher, not lower, as (socially speaking) people mature at an older age than they did before. In fact, that's probably why the trend has been higher age of consent, but there are probably other reasons for that too.
Ok, just out of curiosity, please define "socially speaking maturity." Honestly I hear what I presume to be the opposite all the time: supposedly kids are losing their "innocence" faster than ever.

That's the problem. It would be nice if we could come up with some objective way of saying "okay, you're ready to vote/drink/have sex with 40-year-old men now as a responsible adult" but no such test is possible, and even if it were, there are political issues (would you really want to give anyone the right to decide how to test for those things?). Hence arbitrary cutoffs.
Heh, I'll disagree there on voting (and driving, for that matter (not totally sure about drinking though)). What is it that children supposedly lack, and if it's something like knowledge, why can't we test for it?

People vote really stupidly and ignorantly all the time. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to vote. People vote the same as their immediate family just because it's what their immediate family voted that way. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to vote. Those are the only two negative outcomes I can really see of allowing kids to vote.

If we don't want to open another can of worms though I understand :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:51:06 am by kaijyuu »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: September 15, 2011, 02:58:49 am »

I'm sure there are 12 year olds that could make that decision. But they're a very small minority.

Beside, sex isn't something you can do and then decide whether you want to do that again or not. It's a physical and emotional changer. There are consequences to having it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: September 15, 2011, 03:37:34 am »

Adults are just as impulsive and prone to following trends.

While I'll agree that having experience in a subject will lead to more rational decisions on that subject, A) gaining experience has some obvious requirements that limiting exposure to prevents acquisition of, and B) claiming everyone under X age is <insert whatever you want here> will result in lots of crying bullshit from me for stereotyping. There's nothing preventing a 12 year old from making a rational decision on the subject. That doesn't mean every 12 year old can, but it sure as hell means that we shouldn't assume every 12 year old can't.

• Neurology itself does continue developing throughout adolescence.
  • For some issues, it's better to be safe when it concerns child development. Yes, there might be a twelve-year-old somewhere who's somehow experience, rational, socially educated, and ethically sound enough to make the decision to have a sexual relationship with a 45-year-old and get married. However, if you assume that all of them can, then you've effectively destroyed the entire legal distinction between "minor" and "adult". I shouldn't have to explain why that's bad.
  • Yes, limiting exposure limits experience. It does not completely remove it. Children learn from others (and are taught by them, especially parents/teachers and other role models), and also from taking small steps in the direction of an endeavor which they aren't currently capable of treating responsibly. For instance, even someone who's a virgin at 30 is likely more capable of making adult decisions about sex than a thirteen-year-old would.
  • Part of experience is simply having experience with yourself. When it comes to sexuality, that's something that (in most ways) is pretty new to you at puberty, and something you deal with constantly in the ongoing years. Social and economic situations are another form of experience, which is why I made the statement about social maturity. People these days become socially and financially secure and independent at a later age than they used to, and that environment/situation shapes our experiences. It obviously isn't always correlated with age perfectly, but there is an obvious correlation, and stage of life itself and your socioeconomic circumstances matter a lot.

Heh, I'll disagree there on voting (and driving, for that matter (not totally sure about drinking though)). What is it that children supposedly lack, and if it's something like knowledge, why can't we test for it?

You don't think that children are less developed than adults in more abstract or less testable ways than academic knowledge? Driving is different, as you can test someone fairly objectively on whether or not they can perform it, which is why we test for licenses, but there's also an element of mature handling of the privilege, which is why there's an age limit as well.

People vote really stupidly and ignorantly all the time. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to vote. People vote the same as their immediate family just because it's what their immediate family voted that way. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to vote. Those are the only two negative outcomes I can really see of allowing kids to vote.

Children voting? Where do you draw the line? Should people be able to vote the instant they learn to recognize a name on a ballot?

I would further respond to this, but sometimes I come across an idea so ridiculous I'm not even sure what to say about it, as I'm completely unprepared for it. Then again, you're someone who apparently thinks it should be legal for grandpas to seduce little kids, so I'm not sure we're operating from positions that are remotely compatible to begin with.

By the way: Jailing someone for owning manga is not "thought crime". Sorry. Not that I necessarily agree with his getting arrested, but owning something is not thought, nor is its production.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:42:43 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: September 15, 2011, 06:49:55 am »

• Neurology itself does continue developing throughout adolescence.

To do the bulletpoint pick-apart, heh, last time I checked here, neurology itself continues developing pretty rapidly until well into your twenties. Society in general is also more likely to give someone with some degree of arrested development legal responsibility than someone underage. There's also very little restriction on making legal decisions while under the effect of neurochemical influencing substances (though you can still be help culpable for making poor ones in that situation, of course).  Mostly just noting that this is a really bad card to play. Society doesn't use neurological development -- at least not consistently -- as a measure of legal culpability, though there may be correlation between the two.

Correlation's only acceptable for use when you're playing a bit loose with methodology ;D (or you don't have anything better to use, which is a situation that needs fixin'.)

• For some issues, it's better to be safe when it concerns child development. Yes, there might be a twelve-year-old somewhere who's somehow experience, rational, socially educated, and ethically sound enough to make the decision to have a sexual relationship with a 45-year-old and get married. However, if you assume that all of them can, then you've effectively destroyed the entire legal distinction between "minor" and "adult". I shouldn't have to explain why that's bad.

I think the point being made is that, while your situation would be bad, the fact that some number of individuals who are be capable of rational decision on-par with someone of a 'legal' age are effectively being denuded of rights for an arbitrary reason is also bad.

Definitely less of an issue, simply due to the numbers game, but it's really hard to support the position that it's okay to strip some people of rights because most people in their situation couldn't use those rights responsibly, especially when what's being used to identify those individuals isn't a measure of their actual capability, but instead some fairly arbitrary other attribute.

You don't think that children are less developed than adults in more abstract or less testable ways than academic knowledge? Driving is different, as you can test someone fairly objectively on whether or not they can perform it, which is why we test for licenses, but there's also an element of mature handling of the privilege, which is why there's an age limit as well.

The problem here is that age =/= mature handling of the privilege, which I think is what kaijyuu is pointing out. It's probably the easiest measure to use and one that possesses a pretty high correlation to maturity, but it's definitely not a causative one. There should probably (definitely, in my opinion) be a higher bar on a lot of age-restricted activities than there is, though that's a different argument..

Children voting? Where do you draw the line? Should people be able to vote the instant they learn to recognize a name on a ballot?

It'd be really bloody nice if there was actually a competency test at the ballot box, but there isn't. There's people who vote without doing more than making themselves capable of recognizing a word (whatever their party is) on the ballot -- they couldn't tell the position and platforms of the names on the ballot from a lilypad.

Age isn't a good measure of the ability to comprehend and respond appropriately to political situations -- again, there may be correlation, but age certainly doesn't equal political savvy. Nor does experience.

--

Overall, re: Age: It's mostly just somewhat annoying that what amounts to logistical difficulties is preventing a number of people (a statistically small percentage, but when you've got a population of hundreds of millions, a numerically notable amount) from being able to contribute to society to the fullness of both their capability and will. That cost may be acceptable for what it buys, but it's definitely not an ideal situation.

It's also a very, very, strange situation given humanity's historic background. People not too long ago were considered capable of making adult decisions at a much younger age (and still are, in parts of the world), which makes our current situation somewhat odd. At the very least, it undermines the necessity of high bar age limits considerably, I'd say.

By the way: Jailing someone for owning manga is not "thought crime". Sorry. Not that I necessarily agree with his getting arrested, but owning something is not thought, nor is its production.

Might not be a thought crime in a strict sense, but it's bloody close to it. Allowing for that sort of legal decision is a very, very, small step for jailing someone for owning particular non-visual literature that society deems inappropriate or simply thinking in the wrong way. It's a dangerous precedent that's actually managed to make a fair number of people completely unconnected with that sort of material very, very, worried.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:54:19 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 852