Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 797874 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5700 on: October 03, 2011, 06:16:26 pm »

Well, the world doesn't conform itself around one person's wishes, and the whole 'friends with benifits' thing is just plain stupid. It just meaningless.

No, it differs only in that its meaningless is celebrated, as it should be, rather than deceptively hidden just below view.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: October 03, 2011, 06:17:06 pm »

The concept of 'friends with benifits' whilst completely goddamn retarded and I hate it forever, is in vogue.

Why do you hate it?

Personally, I hope that it eventually replaces traditional relationships. I despise romance.

Because casual fucking does not equal any sort of emotional attachment, but I guarantee you that a very large percentage of the time, at least one person wants to be in a relationship with the other. Worse, one of them, probably whoever initiated it, just sees the other person as a means to an end, sex. Sex is a more powerful thing that I think people give it credit for, and just using someone for sex (and that is often what happens) leads to pychological damage. I've seen it happen several times, I've been the person on the recieving end of said psychological punch to the gut and frankly, it's all bullshit. Just sleeping around is fine if it's mutual but it's almost never mutual. You want to just screw someone, get a prostitute, don't coerce someone into a relationship solely based on sex unless you're absolutely sure that's all they want, and don't mistake it for a real relationship. You're just fucking them.

...but people are going to have sex anyway...
... and here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
I am so sorry for this.
 I'm all for information and education, but not if it's justified like this. I know a lot of people who would normally be written off as going to be teen parents, and are not, thanks to either having parents who had them in college or older siblings having children they had to help support. With the information given to them by living that life already they determined they would not let it happen again.

We can be responsible. Give us the proper information to make decisions for our lives and be responsible over the results.

It's akin to teaching your kid how to dodge fast objects like cars because they are gonna eventually wander into the road. Being able to dodge fast objects is a good skill to have and there is nothing wrong with teaching your kid that, but it shouldn't be a patch on your parenting responsibility of keeping an eye on the kid.

It's not really the same. People are going to have sex anyway. That's a basic biological urge shared by almost every species on the planet. If there's 6 billion people on this planet then presumably something around 12 billion people had sex for them to be here, minus a few billion or so. So yes, people are going to have sex, they're going to have sex whether or not they've been taught how to be careful about it and so it's important that they are taught to be careful about it. We wouldn't teach people if we didn't think they'd ever have to utilize that knowledge.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: October 03, 2011, 06:22:07 pm »

Well, the world doesn't conform itself around one person's wishes,
Please avoid condescending dismissals in this thread. You can disagree with someone without belittling their opinion.

Personally, I hope one day humanity collectively gets over sex. It's not the best thing ever, yet some people treat it like the holy grail of life experience.

I agree and would go even further. Sex is utterly mundane, people claim that it requires wisdom, it predates the rise of intelligence and wisdom by aeons. It is overvalued IN GENERAL, not just in how it is treated as a life experience. I look foreward to the day when sex is treated with the same cavalier attitude as sleep, nuitrition, and other bodily functions.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: October 03, 2011, 06:22:54 pm »

There is a difference between the absolutist angle that sex is gonna happen like how eating is gonna happen, and when people decide to do it and what situation they decide to do it in. In this case my whining was in the context of teenagers to young adults who don't want to have kids yet.

@Bohandas: Appropriately, sleep, nuitrition, and other bodily functions are all deeply tied to our intellectual and emotional states. There are rules and social ceremonies that we don't really realize are there, but are very important to socialization. Every time people interact messages are sent in every action they do. Different natural everyday processes have different contexts to the messages they give. Sex has its own specific messages it generally gives. No way to avoid them.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:26:03 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: October 03, 2011, 06:26:19 pm »

Please avoid condescending dismissals in this thread. You can disagree with someone without belittling their opinion.

Personally, I hope one day humanity collectively gets over sex. It's not the best thing ever, yet some people treat it like the holy grail of life experience.

I agree and would go even further. Sex is utterly mundane, people claim that it requires wisdom, it predates the rise of intelligence and wisdom by aeons. It is overvalued IN GENERAL, not just in how it is treated as a life experience. I look foreward to the day when sex is treated with the same cavalier attitude as sleep, nuitrition, and other bodily functions.

It is mundane compared to what people make it out to be, I agree, but it can still have lifeshattering consequences and has to be treated carefully.

There is a difference between the absolutist angle that sex is gonna happen like how eating is gonna happen, and when people decide to do it and what situation they decide to do it in. In this case my whining was in the context of teenagers to young adults who don't want to have kids yet.

That's... a good point, you're right. I was being absolutist. Probably a better reason for teaching it would be to teach people early in life to be careful in having sex later in life, and also to prepare them if they choose to have it whilst still young.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:31:29 pm by Jackrabbit »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: October 03, 2011, 06:30:00 pm »

I have this weird, regimented and categorized philosophy considering relationships, friendships, sex, and all that.

I won't get into it, because it's all disjointed and suchlike; sufficed to say, I'd rather have sex with my friends than just one person who I happen to be romantically involved with.

That isn't to say I don't want a relationship of the traditional sort (as traditional as it would get, at least in my case, what with poly* relationships that I also prefer), nor does it mean I only want friendships with people for sex. But I just see it as another way to get close to someone, not necessarily romantically.

Besides, if I only have sex with one person, I start losing interest. :/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: October 03, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »

It is mundane compared to what people make it out to be, I agree, but it can still have lifeshattering consequences and has to be treated carefully.

I will concede this statement, but view the truth it has as one of the great failings of the human race. Lifeshattering events are only a symptom, our species' pathetic vulnerability to them and reliance on cultures which are incompatible with them are the true root problems.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: October 03, 2011, 06:59:40 pm »

I've wished since the age of 16 to be freed from the influence of my sex drive, so I wouldn't even have to worry about the whole stupid mess.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: October 03, 2011, 07:03:23 pm »

@Bohandas: Appropriately, sleep, nuitrition, and other bodily functions are all deeply tied to our intellectual and emotional states. There are rules and social ceremonies that we don't really realize are there, but are very important to socialization. Every time people interact messages are sent in every action they do. Different natural everyday processes have different contexts to the messages they give. Sex has its own specific messages it generally gives. No way to avoid them.

Ok. My reasoning was more along the lines of the prevalence of obesity in western (and especially American) society. That was the cavalier attitude toward nutrition that I was referring to.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: October 03, 2011, 07:08:01 pm »

I've wished since the age of 16 to be freed from the influence of my sex drive, so I wouldn't even have to worry about the whole stupid mess.

I've wished since about the same age to be free of the influence of humanity, even my own. I would be much happier if I were a feral cat living in an area with no human inhabitants; their mating system far far superior to our own.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:10:00 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: October 03, 2011, 07:24:36 pm »

I've wished since about the same age to be free of the influence of humanity, even my own. I would be much happier if I were a feral cat living in an area with no human inhabitants; their mating system far far superior to our own.
Yeah, but, dude. Mating isn't all there is to life. I've never seen a cat make hot chocolate, and by Loki's beard, I would not be happier if I couldn't do that. Plus, y'know. Penis spines. *shudder*
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: October 03, 2011, 07:27:37 pm »

Yeah, but, dude. Mating isn't all there is to life.

A valid point. I suppose my happiness in this hypothetical situation would also depend on the availability of prey animals to eat and water to drink.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: October 03, 2011, 07:33:36 pm »

Well, to be fair, you're probably right; as a feral cat in a region with abundant prey and pretty much any water supply whatsoever (cats are kind of awesome, and can often do fine without liquid water if they've got live prey to eat), you'd be happier than as a human in just about any modern society who wasn't filthy rich with a fantastic social life.

If happiness is your sole criterion for determining your preference in lifestyle, that conclusion is pretty hard to argue with. It's not mine, but we venture dangerously close to arguing over axioms and pure philosophy here. In an effort to avoid the coming 10 page derail, let's just skip to not changing our minds, maybe? >_____>

EDIT: Well, again assuming that you don't have much in the way of competition for territory and mates.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:35:21 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: October 03, 2011, 07:38:21 pm »

Agreed.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: October 04, 2011, 12:59:36 am »

And yet, you've determined this using the same human faculties you determine to be responsible for humanity's terribleness in the first place. How ironic that humans can fail their own arbitrary standards, even as a species.

Well, to be fair, you're probably right; as a feral cat in a region with abundant prey and pretty much any water supply whatsoever (cats are kind of awesome, and can often do fine without liquid water if they've got live prey to eat), you'd be happier than as a human in just about any modern society who wasn't filthy rich with a fantastic social life.

If happiness is your sole criterion for determining your preference in lifestyle, that conclusion is pretty hard to argue with. It's not mine, but we venture dangerously close to arguing over axioms and pure philosophy here. In an effort to avoid the coming 10 page derail, let's just skip to not changing our minds, maybe? >_____>

EDIT: Well, again assuming that you don't have much in the way of competition for territory and mates.

Problem: Define "happiness". There are a lot of connotations involved with that word, and many of them probably don't even apply to cats.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 852