Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 785646 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5745 on: October 04, 2011, 07:53:33 pm »

Facebook, hate speech, and women

[Warning: Extreme nasty remarks WRT the usual "all men would be rapists if they thought the odds were stacked in their favor" bullshit.  This is not my position, and I sure as hell hope the author of the article just left her brain in her other skull that day]

American Jobs Act dead.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: October 04, 2011, 08:26:56 pm »

See, these kinds of things are why I wish society would just collapse and be done with it. Here's to hoping that all centers of government and business get flattened by meteors.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: October 04, 2011, 08:29:21 pm »

Hrm...

I wonder what Facebook's policy is on other empty threats and rude jokes (including racist, homophobic, etc ones). If they don't delete those, then yeah, I don't see this as anything other than extending their current policy. If they DO take empty threats down, then I'm on the author's side that there's some sexism going on.

IMO every threat of violence should be taken seriously online. So I guess I'm definitely on the author's side that Facebook should take these things down, but I'm not gonna buy "rawr Facebook hates women" until I see further evidence that they're actively avoiding removal of misogynistic stuff but not other types of hate or threats of violence. (and I'll also ignore the assumption that any reference to rape = rape against women)

Aaaaand sucks that the jobs act died.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: October 04, 2011, 08:34:18 pm »

I'm not sure.  The place where I found that article implied that the homophobic "jokes" were also permitted, but I don't have a better source for it.

In any case, I can be even more angry if it isn't only a women's rights issue >:I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: October 04, 2011, 08:42:12 pm »

What Facebook and others who defend this pernicious hate speech don't seem to get is that rapists don't rape because they're somehow evil or perverted or in any way particularly different from than the average man in the street: rapists rape because they can. Rapists rape because they know the odds are stacked in their favour, because they know the chances are they'll get away with it.
This is the offending passage, right?  While it is certainly ambiguous with a potential "all men would be rapists if the opportunity presented itself", I'm not sure if that's actually what she meant - afterall, she's saying the opportunity does exist and rapists don't get caught, and I don't think she's saying that average men actually are rapists.  I read it more as a poorly communicated "Rapists aren't a naturally occuring, unavoidable phenomenon - the reason we have so many of them is that it's too easy to do it without getting caught".

Although... to be honest, I can't really see either of the named Facebook pages being incitement at all, unless perhaps taken very literally (indeed, one of them seems to mock the idea of people playing "hard to get").  They're certainly in poor taste, but I'm not sure if that should be grounds for removal.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: October 04, 2011, 08:53:43 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/04/health/04hiv.html?src=me&ref=general

So apparently the most common contraceptive used in Africa doubles HIV risk.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: October 04, 2011, 08:56:48 pm »

Interesting... that also has a lot of implications for pregnant women and HIV, because the hormones in the injections and pills make the body think it's already pregnant.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: October 04, 2011, 08:57:56 pm »

AIDS in Africa is just a horrific situation in general...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: October 04, 2011, 08:58:34 pm »

According to the article, the study also recorded condom use, so while I haven't read the study it is apparently not just because of lack of barrier protection.

Another consideration that has to be made is that pregnant women are also (apparently, according to one of the researchers quoted in the article) more likely to transmit HIV.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: October 04, 2011, 09:05:22 pm »

Not least because HIV is now pretty easily treatable for life providing you can afford anti-retrovirals (and indeed HIV is barely infectuous if you start taking them early enough).  The problems ultimately come down to lack of testing or money for the drugs...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: October 04, 2011, 09:21:29 pm »

Not least because HIV is now pretty easily treatable for life providing you can afford anti-retrovirals (and indeed HIV is barely infectuous if you start taking them early enough).  The problems ultimately come down to lack of testing or money for the drugs...

Lots of social issues, too, from what I've heard.  Many of them major feminist issues.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: October 04, 2011, 09:37:40 pm »

As I understand it, early retroviral treatment for HIV makes your chances of actually spreading it to someone else effectively zero.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: October 04, 2011, 10:01:08 pm »

Fiscal responsibility is tossing more money into defending bigotry

Your tax dollars at work.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm in a computer simulation because this world is too FRACKING INSANE sometimes.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: October 04, 2011, 10:03:26 pm »

I'm sorry, but how the fuck is that anything like legal?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: October 04, 2011, 10:07:48 pm »

Not 0, but it does reduce the odds.

IIRC there was a crazy study some years ago, of women who had husbands with aids, wanted to have children with them, yet did not want to opt for IVF techniques (I'm guessing for religious reasons). So the husbands had the antirretroviral treatment scaled up, and after that they got busy. Most of them did not develop aids. (Still, whereas it's nice that infectiveness is reduced, it's not something I would recommend)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 852