Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 785682 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10200 on: January 19, 2012, 07:23:16 pm »

Welp, we have reached a completely precedented low. Prepare the dictionaries for combat! Let us lock pronunciation guides and charge our foes! For pedantry! For victory!

Also, why is "unprecedented" a word but "precedented" isn't. Damn your incomplete dictionary, Googl- Oh god. Wait. Look at me. WHAT HAVE I BECOME
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10201 on: January 19, 2012, 07:25:39 pm »

Just a polite suggestion, but maybe instead of debating "Is this sexism?" you could debate "Is this wrong?" instead?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: January 19, 2012, 07:27:55 pm »

I believe that's what we're implicitly debating.

Remember, Virex is arguing it's morally objectionable to claim women can oppress men.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: January 19, 2012, 07:28:19 pm »

That's not the standard definition
Oh boy a semantics debate!

Wait, let's define "standard" first!

Quote from: Merriam-Webster
something established by authority, custom, or general consent as a model or example

Ah, so by the obviously-biased-feminism-blog standard, you are indeed correct. However, this is not obviously-biased-feminism-blog-land, this is the real world, where people can be sexist to anyone, regardless of gender.
That doesn't quite work, since "official authorities", such as Merriam-Webster, record official English. But official English itself is sexist.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: January 19, 2012, 07:29:38 pm »

Just a polite suggestion, but maybe instead of debating "Is this sexism?" you could debate "Is this wrong?" instead?

Nope. That is not going to actually change anything.

Anyway, if we want a real semantics fight I demand we start with the word Communism and that we get a referee.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: January 19, 2012, 07:30:41 pm »

I usually don't post in this thread, but I have to ask.

Is this whole shitstorm even on topic anymore? Is it that hard to ignore someone not willing to actually contribute to a real discussion?

Come on guys.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: January 19, 2012, 07:31:31 pm »

we get a referee.
If I might quote one of the old masters,

You fucking rang?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: January 19, 2012, 07:34:35 pm »

Is this whole shitstorm even on topic anymore?

Yes. It is still on topic. The double standard can in many ways be a important issue.

The question of "is there a point" is more dubious, since it seems on this issue it is everyone vs Virex, and no one is going to change.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #10208 on: January 19, 2012, 07:34:49 pm »

That doesn't quite work, since "official authorities", such as Merriam-Webster, record official English. But official English itself is sexist.
If English is sexist, anybody using it is sexist. Therefore, you should stop thinking in English and choose a new language.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10209 on: January 19, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »

Nope. That is not going to actually change anything.

Anyway, if we want a real semantics fight I demand we start with the word Communism and that we get a referee.

I would have to break out my "War against language" rants.

I am soooooo off topic.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: January 19, 2012, 07:36:51 pm »

we get a referee.
If I might quote one of the old masters,

You fucking rang?

I'm glad to see that was picked up so quickly.

Ahhh... Nostalgia.

Useless useless Nostalgia.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: January 19, 2012, 07:40:42 pm »

If English is sexist, anybody using it is sexist. Therefore, you should stop thinking in English and choose a new language.
Hmm, that is a pretty good point you raise there. I'll start working on that once my exams are over. I've heard Lobjan was intended to be non-sexist?

I usually don't post in this thread, but I have to ask.

Is this whole shitstorm even on topic anymore? Is it that hard to ignore someone not willing to actually contribute to a real discussion?

Come on guys.
Hmm, I guess you're right.
On a different note, I'm kind of annoyed because the Dutch government voiced plans to drop all financial support for Master students (which used to be enough to pay 75% of the entrance fee and a modest room in the cheapest student cities here). Way to improve the schooling of our country, people!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: January 19, 2012, 07:42:54 pm »

O student financial aid has been taking a hit for years and years in the US and now it appears the world over

Anything to change this subject.....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: January 19, 2012, 07:48:08 pm »

Gotta' keep that underclass growing some how. What's the point of being an evil cabal of overlords if you don't have people to lord over?

... in other news, I really wish the power movers and wealthy world over would stop acting like stereotypical evil overlords. Really, really, wish that. This shit is avoiding farce only because it's actually happening.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:35:05 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: January 19, 2012, 08:26:06 pm »

The constant blows to financial aid (and raised costs) is one of the reasons I haven't gone to college yet, since my brother and sister are already in college and I worry I might break the family budget.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 852