Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary Tanner  (Read 2402 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Legendary Tanner
« on: June 04, 2011, 03:16:36 pm »

This was a surprise to me, but maybe it's not at all unusual. One of my more useless dwarves had a fey mood, claimed leatherwork workshop and started his artifact with elephant leather. But after finishing it (it was a cloak, quite nice), he didn't become a legendary leatherworker. He become a Legendary Tanner. And he still has 0 EXP in Leatherworking. Now, if he used some untanned hide I'd understand, maybe . He didn't though. It was actually a nice surprise, because I have enough of legendary leatherworkers, and not enough of good tanners, and I utilize eight tanneries and only a single leather workshop.  But if that was possible, maybe it is possible to get a legendary bone carver after creating a metal weapon, or a soap maker?

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Tanner
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 03:52:32 pm »

The experience gain and the range of possible base materials and items to be created are both based on the dwarf's highest moodable skill; this dwarf's moodable skill in which he had the most experience was tanning, so he made something out of leather and went legendary in tanning.

For reference: Moodable Skills (and associated workshops)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 05:39:47 pm »

There are thirteen different "Strange Mood" tasks a dwarf can get, all based on the workshop claimed - Craftsdwarf, Jeweler, Metalsmith, Metalsmith (Magma), Macabre mood, Fell mood, Carpenter, Mason, Bowyer, Leatherworker, Clothier, Glassmaker, and Mechanic. If a dwarf's highest moodable skill is Tanner, he will enter a Leatherworking mood; similarly, Miners will enter Masonry moods, Engravers will enter Craftsdwarf moods, and Weavers (but not Spinners) will enter Clothier moods.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:15:30 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 03:35:35 am »

Thanks. So it isn't completely random, and I won't get a Legendary Soap Maker. Makes me sad…

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 05:18:10 am »

behold a legendary bar of soap! all craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality, it is decorated with bands of mountain goat leather, it is encrusted with snail shell, and studded with shards of lead, and green glass. on the bar of soap is an image of warning in clay.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 09:05:12 am »

behold a legendary bar of soap! all craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality, it is decorated with bands of mountain goat leather, it is encrusted with snail shell, and studded with shards of lead, and green glass. on the bar of soap is an image of warning in clay.

That sounds Painful if used normaly  :o. And to clean wounds it sorta defeats the Purpose.
Seanayor. UnistMcDelimbed lies in the hospital while UnistMcDoctor goes to get said bar of soap too clean the wound. He cleans the wound preventing infecsion but then UnistMcDelimbed gets lead poisoning ::)
So ya when Toady adds in posions and are related to metals that isn't gona work so well  :-\
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 10:56:41 am »

I'd be more worring about the pieces of green glass embedded into the soap.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 01:03:13 pm »

"Doctor Urist, I came into contact with a Forgotten Beast, and now my cuts keep oozing purple pus!"

"My God, it must be a syndrome. Don't worry, I've been saving a legendary bar of soap for just such an emergency."

"Uh, doc, that soap doesn't look ver- OW! Hey, wait a min- OW! Could you stop for- OW!"

*a short time later*

Urist McWounded has been struck down.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 02:39:57 pm »

thank you for for the awesome reactions i had a good rofl :)

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:43:34 pm »

They're there for debraiding wounds.

Look it up.  I'll wait while you wince in empathy.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 02:48:53 pm »

I can't seem to find anything regarding the subject.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 04:46:57 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debridement
http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/OperationalMedicine/DATA/operationalmed/Procedures/DebrideaWound.htm how to guide

I can't seem to find anything regarding the subject.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 07:19:58 pm »

Wow, yep. Glad I wasn't eating.

Coz now I don't wanna. Ever again.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 01:55:55 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debridement
http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/OperationalMedicine/DATA/operationalmed/Procedures/DebrideaWound.htm how to guide
Thanks Lord Inq.

Yeah, I had 3rd degree burns on my arms as a youth.  I know all about wound debridement.

(Except apparently how to spell it...  ;) )