Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobles not making demands  (Read 775 times)

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobles not making demands
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:56:24 pm »

. . . Not that I'm complaining, but, well, I'm actually kinda complaining.  It's weird.  I've been told that nobles will make demands and make mandates, and these two ain't the same thing, since mandates trigger the justice system.  I've been playing most versions since 31.06 (currently 31.18), and my nobles make plenty of mandates, but have never demanded anything.

I'd like to deal with a demand for once, if just to see it.  Do demands require different conditions before they'll happen or something?

--Rexfelum

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles not making demands
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:58:46 pm »

I've only noticed demands start several months after I skyrocket to duchy. Maybe the lower levels are rare/ineligible?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 01:16:03 am »

Mayor, Countess, Duch, King etc will make demands.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 01:27:48 am »

I get them very rarely.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 01:38:39 am »

My mayor demands bronze bed. Only 'Legendary Metalcrafter' prevents him from magma-sea-exploring-mission.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:49:22 am »

Demands are a lot less frequent than mandates.

I don't think there are different triggers. My baron demanded a deer hoof table for example, and I had 26 dwarves and nothing special in terms of wealth.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 01:53:21 am »

Mayor, Countess, Duch, King etc will make demands.

Indeed, these are listed on the wiki.

Demands are a lot less frequent than mandates.

I don't think there are different triggers. My baron demanded a deer hoof table for example, and I had 26 dwarves and nothing special in terms of wealth.

I'm partly interested in them because I am told that demands can be weird like this.  I'd just love to explain to my mayor that, no, a troll tooth statue isn't happening.

--Rexfelum

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 03:55:10 am »

In my 12 year old fort I had only one demand - my mayor* demanded a nickel silver statue in his room. At the same time a duke mandated nickel silver item. So both of these were fulfilled with the same item. On a funny note the statue depicted the first mayor just after she lost the election. And she is additionally the lover of my duke. I suppose my current mayor is a cruel bastard. Anyway, demands are so rare, that it is possible to not have any of them before your fort cease to exist.

*)my mayors change frequently, but most of them like silver nickel for some weird reason.