Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Vampires!  (Read 9946 times)

Ryusui

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Watercrown Productions
Vampires!
« on: June 05, 2011, 10:22:07 pm »

First, the Grammar Fascist speaks:

Profaning his own temple, Kas cursed him to prowl the night in search of blood.

Wow. What a dick god, to profane his own temple just so he could curse the guy unfortunate enough to be his high priest.

Second: One thing I'm a little unclear on is how exactly Imbo's reign of terror ended. Was that simply where worldgen cut him off? Did he die due to lack of blood (har har), or did someone stake the bastard? Or did he just turn sparkly and people stopped taking him seriously?

Also, I know this belongs under suggestions, but third: perhaps there might also be a choice of vampire diets, much as werecreatures might be vulnerable to materials other than silver?
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 11:00:06 pm »

From the sounds of things, it didn't end.  Worldgen probably ended.
Or Toady's adventurer might have ended him.

Also, intelligent zombies scare me.  What if they come together as a leaderless collective and grow a hivemind?  We're doomed!

DOOMED, I TELL YOU!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 11:04:09 pm »

It doesn't sound like Kas profaned his own temple, but rather Imbo himself. Also, 717 people killed by a single vampire lord over only 100 years?

Whole-Lee-Shat

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 11:15:19 pm »

That story is utterly brilliant. I can't wait to jump in adventure mode and go witch-hunting.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:17:34 pm »

Yeah, world gen just ended at year 151, and the guy was still there.  I'll probably use the same world to test adventures killing these guys without making the whole civ hate you, which is nextish.  People should be happy to see them and their cultists dead.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:34:04 pm »

You know what I think? I thinks that the zombie thought that they were still living and acted like living being. Funny zombie, you're undead, stopping trying to be the living.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:44:45 pm »

Did he die due to lack of blood (har har), or did someone stake the bastard? Or did he just turn sparkly and people stopped taking him seriously?

I sort of want to make sparkly vampires just to annoy people.  But the only way I can think of that makes that work is that, instead of being hurt by sunlight, it just lets everybody know that hey, this guy wants your blood.  And then I guess their description would say they sparkle in the sunlight?  Idk.

Or glow-in-the-dark vampires that are active during the day.  That would be cool.

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:58:25 pm »

Will vampires be sated by barrels of blood? What about blood mixed with alcohol for vampire dwarves? If a vampire drains a dwarf, do they become drunk?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 12:07:33 am »

Are barrels of blood even possible? Wouldn't it coagulate?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 12:11:07 am »

Ive been away a bit lately...but are the vampires going to have buffed stats and immunities and all that good stuff? or is it merely a behavior tag that alters there actions?

Answered:

Quote from: magmaholic
will we be able to add tags with syndromes?
Quote from: tfaal
can we put any creature tag inside a syndrome now? Can syndromes tweak stats?
Quote from: thvaz
The new creatures will have enhanced stats? Like a vampire with superhuman strengh or a were-creature faster than both the humanoid and the animal it changes to?

Many tags are available, but not all tags will be available.  I don't have a final list, but more are added with each night creature so it should be a goodly amount, anyway.  Syndromes can tweak stats by a percentage or by adding/subtracting a fixed number.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:08:34 am by dennislp3 »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 01:35:56 am »

If a vampire drains a dwarf, do they become drunk?

"Urist McVampire had a fine drink lately."

By the way, I presume it will be possible that the monarch, upon arriving to a dwarven fortress in fortress mode, is also a vampire?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Ryusui

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Watercrown Productions
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 02:20:00 am »

It doesn't sound like Kas profaned his own temple, but rather Imbo himself.

It's obvious what he meant. It's just that the phrasing makes "his" ambiguous: since Kas is the first noun in the sentence, it sounds dangerously like it's saying that Kas profaned the temple rather than Imbo - especially considering that it's both "his (Imbo's) own temple" in that Imbo is its high priest, and "his (Kas') own temple" in that Kas is the god revered there.

Sorry to nitpick. It's just my inner copyeditor raising a fuss.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 05:04:29 am »

Does every creature that gets 'vampired' instantly become a blood-craving monster?

What if they were a pretty nice person before? Wouldn't they occasionally commit suicide rather than live with the daily horror of knowing what they had become?
[Signature]

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 05:05:37 am »

perhaps there might also be a choice of vampire diets, much as werecreatures might be vulnerable to materials other than silver?

"I... must... have... TEA!!!"

Yep, thanks to you I want my dwarves to be Weatherwaxed.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 06:04:16 am »

What if they were a pretty nice person before? Wouldn't they occasionally commit suicide rather than live with the daily horror of knowing what they had become?
This. It should happen to werewolves, probably some kinds of sentient undead, etc. to.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4