Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Vampires!  (Read 10025 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires!
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 11:53:47 pm »

I'm starting to not see why vampires would be much worse than other races after their curse. I mean, just look at the rest of the world. Dwarves butcher puppies and kittens for ☼Kitten Tallow Roast☼ and Elves eat anything on two-legs.

Heck, vampire diets are tame in comparison to the rest of their world! It seems just as likely that the dwarves will try to eat the vampire as some kinda of bizarre cooking experiment.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:10:51 am by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 12:09:15 am »

I'm ardently hoping that zombies never become intelligent, would ruin the concept in my opinion.  :\

Really?  Intelligent zombies don't bother me, because I've read a few books based on them.  In "The Rising" dead bodies are all possessed by intelligent demon souls, so they look like zombies and want to kill everything that's alive, but they're intelligent too.

Alternatively, read Handling the Undead for a really interesting take on zombies in general.  It's by the same guy who wrote Let The Right One In.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 12:11:13 am »

I'm starting to not see why vampires would be much worse than other races after their curse. I mean, just look at the rest of the world. Dwarves butcher puppies and kittens for ☼Kitten Roast Tallow☼ and Elves eat anything on two-legs.

Heck, vampire diets are tame in comparison to the rest of their world! It seems just as likely that the dwarves will try to eat the vampire as some kinda of bizarre cooking experiment.

Well, puppies and kittens are delicious and fair game for livestocking, to some cultures in the real world... and they are hardly "evil".

Vampires are evil because they don't just go and buy barrels of horse blood from the general store, but have to go bite and eat people, which almost nobody does, in real life.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 12:22:54 am »

Vampires are evil because they don't just go and buy barrels of horse blood from the general store, but have to go bite and eat people, which almost nobody does, in real life.

Unless they have to actually kill somebody they can easily become members of a society. Even then, keeping a steady train of to-be-executed prisoners coming could establish a working relationship between a society and its vampires. Of course that's usually where some arbitrary crazy curse comes in to make them sufficiently evil and monstery.

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 12:47:30 am »

Vampires are evil/anti-heroes cause it's badass that way.

Ryusui

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Watercrown Productions
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 12:55:33 am »

I'm starting to not see why vampires would be much worse than other races after their curse. I mean, just look at the rest of the world. Dwarves butcher puppies and kittens for ☼Kitten Tallow Roast☼ and Elves eat anything on two-legs.

!!SCIENCE!! in the !!KITCHEN!!
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 01:00:19 am »

Eh, elves are only cannibalistic towards people who would have died anyway, so there's not as much of a moral quandary there as it might seem.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 01:05:47 am »

Eh, elves are only cannibalistic towards people who would have died anyway, so there's not as much of a moral quandary there as it might seem.

Maybe my memory is off, but I recall the Legend of Cacame starting with his murdered then devoured wife and a grim resolve for vengeance.

EDIT: Though I guess it depends on how you define "would have died anyway". Adding snacks to rape and pillaging doesn't really give them a moral high ground in any case.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:11:41 am by Glowcat »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 03:45:01 am »

I mean that they don't kill for the purpose of eating. They eat whoever they'd be killing in war anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 01:23:56 pm »

Maybe my memory is off, but I recall the Legend of Cacame starting with his murdered then devoured wife and a grim resolve for vengeance.

EDIT: Though I guess it depends on how you define "would have died anyway". Adding snacks to rape and pillaging doesn't really give them a moral high ground in any case.

It wasn't just random murder though; if I recall correctly, his family were casualties of war. Elves never kill to eat, they just eat people that they happen to kill. At the moment, they mostly kill because of warfare. As for whether those wars were just, worldgen doesn't give us enough information to tell.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 05:50:41 pm »

I want to make a plantpire.  It wanders around the fields and withers all your plump helmets.

I hope the raw-exported vampire tags allow you to differentiate between those who only feed on [INTELLIGENT] creatures and those who can just feed on any ol' thing with a red-blood mat tag.  I wonder if they'll even check for a red-blood mat tag, or if it's just an abstracted "eats [CREATURE] objects" thing.  Seems to me that eating ant-people would be too disgusting for most vampires.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 08:08:51 pm »

I've started thinking a bit and since elves eat what they kill what if an elf somehow kills a vampire? Would it then just devour it and become the next vampire?

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 08:59:27 pm »

Would an elf vampire kill someone by drinking blood...then eat the body too?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 09:16:13 pm »

Would an elf vampire kill someone by drinking blood...then eat the body too?

They could probably do both at once. It's like eating everything with extra sauce.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 12:11:12 am »

I've started thinking a bit and since elves eat what they kill what if an elf somehow kills a vampire? Would it then just devour it and become the next vampire?
That's how it should work. Whether Toady has remembered to put a check in for that, I don't know, but I'd guess he did.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4