Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Tv Tropes Informal Poll  (Read 14095 times)

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tv Tropes Informal Poll
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 07:07:11 am »

1) How often do you use/visit TV Tropes? Do you edit it, or simply read it?
I used to edit it regularly. Don't visit it very much any more.

2) How useful and/or interesting do you find the site? Which parts do you find the most useful/interesting?
Used to be hilarious and useful for working out how to categorise concepts in books. The most interesting used to be the hilarity of people picking apart works, but not anymore.

3) What criticisms do you have toward the wiki? What criticisms have you heard from others?
The fact that TVTropes has turned into a whiny "WE CAN'T INSULT ANYONE THEY MIGHT GET UPSET T_T" bitch fest. Creation of the YMMV tab, removal of "It Just Irritates Me" (or whatever it was called) and that sort of stuff. Took most of the fun out of it and basically just turned it into another wiki.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 08:41:02 am »

1. I use it with some frequency, usually only when I have a particular work in mind.  I've never edited.

2. I mostly use the site for a. fanfic recs and b. to get the basic idea of the flavor of a work I haven't been exposed to.  I don't trust normal reviews anymore, because they don't actually give me a breakdown that I care about.  It's also helpful to figure out a given meme, and whether or not I want to get involved with a particular fandom.

3. I'm glad for the removal of the YMMV tab, Just Bugs Me, and Troper Tales.  Also, the cleanup of Memetic Mutation.  I guess my one criticism is that the site is still sort of unforgivably messy in some areas, so that it's basically impossible to find anything interesting... I get so tired of all the inside jokes and fangirl giggling.

I think a middle ground for naming needs to be established, too.  Changing the names has meant that I can read an article without having to branch out into eeeeeverything else, but some of them are a bit boring nowadays.  Some sort of middle ground would help.  I do think the wiki was getting way too bloated, too, so I guess I'm hoping this is just a transition stage.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 09:56:21 am »

1. I look at it once every few days. I've edited every once in a while, and created two pages.

2. I use the site for time wasting and learning about works in media that I'm interested in, as it provides a different perspective than wikipedia.

3. Troper Tales is bad and needs to be burned to ash. Your Mileage May Vary became bad when it started to have its own tab and should be redacted to its previous state. It Just Bugs Me was fine how it used to be, and the new name is stupid. Trope Repair Shop needs to die and stop trying to Wikipedia up the site. Stop constantly renaming tropes. Stop being paranoid of expressing any opinion that could possibly set someone up. Change "Artistic License" back to "You Fail Blank Forever". Stop removing fun little features like supersecretspoiler because they're "pointless". Not everything has to be this cold, utilitaran, methodical way of going about things. Let the users have some goddamned fun with editing the site. Serious Business in using TvTropes is not a good thing to promote.

Yeah, you might say I have some compaints.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 10:15:27 am »

I visited it a few times for several hours straight at a time. Eventually I had read most of the interesting stuff, so nowadays I only browse it once in a while when I see an article I missed before. I've done a few edits, added things I remembered that fit tropes (I added a bit about the broken #1 Parasite Eve assault rifle upgraded to the wazoo that kills bosses in one shot).

2) How useful and/or interesting do you find the site? Which parts do you find the most useful/interesting?
I do find it useful in the way that it helps me understand a lot of concepts about fiction. Not just a list of things to avoid (Tropes aren't bad) but the actual reasoning behind them. And for fun.

3) What criticisms do you have toward the wiki? What criticisms have you heard from others?
Whateley something something. Geez the amount of trolling and self-promotion of that awful thing everywhere in the wiki is just unbearable.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:23 am »

I rarely read it and never edit.  When I do, I look at the articles but not the examples.

The articles themselves aren't bad, the rest of the site I avoid, especially Troper Tales

I once heard TVTropes described thusly:

A man shouts "HEY GUYS I AM FUNNY," and everyone else responds "YES INDEED YOU ARE FUNNY"

I am inclined to agree with that description.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 01:33:44 pm »

1) About every other day. I only edit it to correct mistakes about the few things I know something about, and even then I mostly let mistakes be.

2) Often interesting, funny some of the time. Not really useful in any real sense of the word, but it has helped me explain tropes to friends at times.

3) Mostly what other people have said here. It used to be funnier, nowadays it feels a lot more strict and restrained.
Love, scriver~

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 02:05:39 pm »

Please answer these questions:

1. Occasionally, I don't edit.

2. Its been useful for finding stuff I might like by following links around. I found DF through it among other things. I would say its very interesting in general and pretty useful.

3. I can't help but feel that constantly changing things around is going to cause more harm then good. Sorta like its going to end up damaging what made it good to begin with.
My personality profile.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 02:23:32 pm »

1) Used to read daily, now not as much. I didn't edit anything though.

2) Interesting and entertaining, led me to several things I wouldn't have discovered on my own (DF and a few others). Useful... not sure how to define that in this context.

3) Tend to agree with the rest, it feels like the site's being stifled and codified, exactly what the front page says shouldn't happen. Also +1 on the Just Bugs Me change being unnecessary and annoying.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 03:41:14 pm »

1) When it's linked. I never edit.

2) I find it very entertaining. I think I would find it useful as a reference guide to common and uncommon pop culture themes. Were I going to seriously write a sci-fi story, I might visit TT and go trope surfing to get a general idea of what themes are the most used, or are underused. That's one of its biggest strengths I think. If I had to go to college and take a course on modern themes in literary and other kinds of entertainment.....I'd use TT and not a book. (Except that a teacher wouldn't accept a website like TT as academically vetted.)

3) I'm not a die-hard troper, so I never dug deeply enough into the site to find things that I might not like. So if you want to count this as the opinion of someone who visits TT for JUST the articles, those are fine and have never really bothered me in any way. It seems like the more deeply invested people got in TT, the more they found they disliked. I imagine if I were attached to any one topic or its development, battles between authors and admins would drive me pretty crazy.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:16:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »

I visit 1-3 times a week. I edit occasionally.

It is mildly useful and extremely interesting. Also it has ruined every show ever, because I know exactly how they go. Sort of.

It's addictive.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 04:14:14 pm »

It's addictive.
Then you haven't spent enough time there.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 04:40:05 pm »

Usually daily, or at least three times a week. I've never edited it, only read.

I use it mostly for entertainment, and to find shows and books that look interesting. As they say, Tv Tropes is a gateway drug.

Usually when I look at the "Trope Repair Shop" section, I get a little annoyed that some people like to cut tropes or examples that are very similar to one another. That said, it's gotten better than it was a while ago.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »

I usually visit it when im waiting for turns in my RTD, or when someone links to it in any RTD I run.

I think this site is funny and pretty interesting. I only find the actual trope pages funny and/or interesting, don't even get me started on Troper Tales.

3) What criticisms do you have toward the wiki? What criticisms have you heard from others
The main problem with the Wiki for me is the godamn Troper Tales. I hope to god they remove it from the wiki.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 04:56:00 pm »

I typically visit TV Tropes multiple times each day. I've never edited, just read.

Very interesting. The 'TV Tropes will ruin your life/vocabulary' pages definitely apply, because I look at fiction differently now. Most interesting thing? Hmm...maybe the random button? If I'm bored I'll just hit the random button until I come to a page I haven't read that spawns a tab explosion.

Conversations in the example sections of tropes are irritating. Other than that, can't think of anything.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »

1) I almost always have TVtropes on in the background in case i get bored, yes i do edit.
2) I find the site incredibly interesting and surprisingly friendly to noobs.
3) My biggest complaint is that some of the troper tales pages really really shouldnt have exist, i was one of the people who argued that hollywood atheists troper tales be put in the PRLK and the same is true for a lot of the others.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6