Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Tv Tropes Informal Poll  (Read 14192 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Tv Tropes Informal Poll
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »

1) How often do you use/visit TV Tropes? Do you edit it, or simply read it?
Well, I keep http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/randomitem.php on my Speed Dial. That should tell you how often I visit. :P And I mostly read, though I've got a number of edits to my name, not to mention being responsible for Roll To Dodge appearing there.

2) How useful and/or interesting do you find the site? Which parts do you find the most useful/interesting?
Being a Game Master and novice writer, I find it immensely useful. Mostly the tropes themselves, though I've found out about quite a few shows and webcomics I've never heard of before with TVTropes' help.

3) What criticisms do you have toward the wiki? What criticisms have you heard from others?
The only criticisms I have are with some name changes. The layout is good, the tone of articles is good, and any lacking content or errors can be fixed - it's a wiki, after all.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2011, 06:36:46 am »

I read it almost every day and edit it from time to time (say, twice a month).

2) How useful and/or interesting do you find the site? Which parts do you find the most useful/interesting?
As a person who is fascinated by how things are put together, and loves to write, I find the site extremely useful. Interest wise, it's fascinating.

3) What criticisms do you have toward the wiki? What criticisms have you heard from others?
There could be more standardization from article to article, but that's probably impossible to do considering the freedom people have to edit.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2011, 05:07:53 pm »

Oh, forgot to mention:

3) On the technical side of things, the website is a complete and utter disaster. There hasn't been a functioning search tool in a very long time (the google custom search isn't that great and tends to return a bunch of different pages for the same thing, even though sometimes the articles those results link to don't even exist?), titles with special characters and spaces get turned into things like "ptitlevmngga4bce7b" in the URL, and the sub-pages and sub-sections of the site are a chore to even get to, navigate, and understand (especially things like "Darth Wiki" and "Sugar Wiki"). The wiki software and some aspects of the site design need some work, is all I'm saying.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2011, 05:22:07 pm »

Oh, yeah that's really annoying. Worse is when the links in a category (or more commonly in the "next/previous" area at the bottom) are random strings of letters.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TuefelHundenIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2011, 12:27:44 pm »

Wow lot of a responses thanks guys.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »

Usually on a daily basis when I'm in the middle of  (yet another) archive binge. When I'm not, I visit irregularly when I find a link to an article that doesn't sound familiar, or when I need to find a bit of information on a series. I only edit when I see something that is factually wrong.

Very interesting, moderately useful. Some important articles, such as character sheets for a few series, either don't exist or don't show up in the search function, but apart from things that just aren't there, the information is good, and most of the articles are enjoyable to read without forcing humor.

Again, just that a few articles related to specific series simply don't exist, and that isn't the fault of the site or the users, it just means that no one has gotten around to writing them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2011, 04:56:41 pm »

It's Bay 12, we've got lots of trope browsers here.

Also, that's the first I've seen of the Baycentric RTD pages on TV Tropes. Good show, Sean.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2011, 12:06:13 am »

I was thinking of making a page for Multiworld Madness, but since it's both my project and unfinished, I'm not really sure I should be making it. I mean, for instance, there were things I intended to be associated with this or that trope, but I've no idea if the readers and players perceive it the same way.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2011, 09:33:41 pm »

I was thinking of making a page for Multiworld Madness, but since it's both my project and unfinished, I'm not really sure I should be making it. I mean, for instance, there were things I intended to be associated with this or that trope, but I've no idea if the readers and players perceive it the same way.

Well, you could pothole things like that with YMMV, or simply see if people edit it. I think that general consensus is that if it isn't factually wrong, it usually stays in.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2011, 08:27:40 pm »

Honestly, if nobody but the creator of a work is willing to put forth the effort into creating an article for it... it's probably better off not having one.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2011, 08:31:47 pm »

Another issue with TVTropes: For certain pages, they ban EVERYONE BUT THE CREATOR OF THE WORK from editting the page for certain pages.

wtf, really?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:31 pm »

Another issue with TVTropes: For certain pages, they ban EVERYONE BUT THE CREATOR OF THE WORK from editting the page for certain pages.

wtf, really?

Wait, really? Can you verify this or provide an example? I ask because that is really, really, really, really bad and an obvious conflict of interest.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2011, 08:35:12 pm »

wtf, really?
Wait, really? Can you verify this or provide an example? I ask because that is really, really, really, really bad and an obvious conflict of interest.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CtrlAltDel

EDIT: Looking it over, it seems Buckley got banned from being sole editor. Looks pretty neutral now, but it definitely used to be edited by him. There're minor works edited by their creator, too.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:41:42 pm by RF »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:15 pm »

I'm really not all that suprised that Buckley would extend his egotism to the TV tropes page about his work as well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2011, 08:45:31 pm »

On Authors and their very own Tropes, it really should be the inverse, if anything.

Although I'll allow that the Creator of an item (or even the direct Target in the case of personal biographies), should be allowed to fill in/correct gaps in something.  Or, or indeed, provide new sections in the complete absences of information.  But it must be done without shameless self-promotion in mind, and the abuse of that is why the general prohibition on (overtly) messing about with your own self-referencing interests is made.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6