Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Tv Tropes Informal Poll  (Read 14094 times)

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: Tv Tropes Informal Poll
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 05:23:59 pm »

1) How often do you use/visit TV Tropes? Do you edit it, or simply read it?
When I'm bored, or someone links. Or when I struggle to find inspiration.
2) How useful and/or interesting do you find the site? Which parts do you find the most useful/interesting?

It's interesting, and it helps if you run out of ideas while writing.
3) What criticisms do you have toward the wiki? What criticisms have you heard from others?
Not really.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 09:30:58 pm »

I read it on a daily basis. I do not edit it.
2) How useful and/or interesting do you find the site? Which parts do you find the most useful/interesting?
It is quite entertaining, and a good source of ideas.
3) What criticisms do you have toward the wiki? What criticisms have you heard from others?
I personally have no complaints.
[/post]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 09:38:32 pm »

I sometimes visit it. Read only. No editing. I'm not exactly a good wiki editor of any kind.

Pretty interesting only problem is that it's freaking addicting. Useful? Nah, never learned anything from it yet.

I don't have any complaints, really. It's made for free, it's not asking people for anything, I personally do not have any complaints besides it being horribly addicting. I have never really heard any complaints from anyone besides it being addicting.

So, overall, I like it. Except for the addicting part.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:46:50 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 01:19:01 am »

I read it fairly often, usually to stave away boredom for a few minutes. I'd fix errors if I didn't need to sign up to edit anything at all but that's too much work.

I find a lot of the site useful, mostly so I have new ways to refer to things. I've occasionally found out about interesting games or shows just from TVTropes itself.

Nattering. Just nattering. Along with not adequately describing why a particular trope fits something in a way that you need to be familiar with the work itself to get it. Nattering is my biggest complaint though. Anyone Nattering on pages of works or Tropes should be banned, have all their edits stricken from the wiki, and have their dog shot. In that order. I hate it that much.

My only real other complaint would have to be the inclusion of the YMMV tab. Changing the color of the bullet point is sufficient guys, if you can't handle the opinions of gasp, other people. You should step away from the computer, close the window. And run away screaming into the night every time you stumble upon a wiki or a message board. True story.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

AnalysisFailed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 01:32:26 am »

Please answer these questions:

1) I visit maybe two or three times a week when I'm stuck between classes for an hour or more. I also edit it whenever I see something missing on a trope's page. Which has only been twice in six months, so not often do I edit it.

2) Interesting: Very, I find it more enjoyable than the things troped about more often than not. Useful: Somewhat, I'm in the process of writing a book, and TVTropes is a good place to think in that situation.

3) I don't really have any complaints about it, I've heard complaints about the YMMV tab and nattering though.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 01:32:39 am »

1. I use it whenever I find out about a creative work that's difficult to get information on.  That way, I can get the gist of the work without having to pirate it.

2. Everything is useful and interesting.

3. Wish the spoilers were clickable instead of me having to highlight them.

4. Thanks for reminding me about TvTropes, I'm going there right now!

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 02:14:21 pm »

1. I visit at least a couple times a week. I've done quite a bit of editing.

2. I find it very useful as a news site, just put a trope in your watchlist and view their history whenever they change to see the latest news for whatever work you're following. I also use it to find games and movies that would likely interest me.

3. It's a mess. There's links that are broken up by changing to italics partway through, redundant pages (as in literally the same page twice), edit wars over what page quote to have for My Little Pony, fairly constant changes in terminology, cutting YMMV to another page making it take longer to go over tropes, links that are a pain to figure out how to make, and at times it can't figure out if it wants to be a fun wiki or a professional wiki.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 03:34:42 pm »

This has reminded me, lately I have seen the people who run it (whoever that is) have definitely been turning into the stop having fun guys. I go there to mess around and laugh. It is not serious busniness. Just chill and let the ocasional argument go. They're mostly in good humour and from genuine disagreements, and don't end in flamewars. Of course, this could just be an over application of the rule of cautious editing judgement.

Wasn't that fun?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 03:42:31 pm »

1) I use it often enough. Probably at least every week.

2) It's useful largely because I can't think of another site like it, relating concepts in different works of fiction the way it does. I find it most useful to look up a work after I've read/watched it in order to learn more about it and how it relates to other things.

3) People editing pages occasionally need to put a little bit more thought/research into things, but mostly, the editor pool seems to have way too many people obsessed with popular culture (or specific works) in ways that negatively influence their editing judgment, to put it lightly. This is especially true when you see a page that is obviously edited primarily by *fans* - not critics, or impartial patrons of fiction, but *fans* (wrong angle from which to approach literary criticism, that's for sure). Also, people need to stop using tropes as in the post directly before mine here (although I assume that's parodical in that case). It's as if they're trying to hammer the sapir-whorf hypothesis directly into their brains, or invent newspeak. Tropes are useful terms but they don't have to be used eighty-six times per sentence, or treated as gospel.

Sidenote: Anyone who's read much of Troper Tales, especially the parts that have since been closed down (yes, they were that bad) knows exactly what is wrong within the editor community there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 03:49:21 pm »

1)Atleast once a week, I simply read it.

2)I find it interesting just because of how varied it is and how many examples of some tropes there are. I like looking up articles of my favorite games to see what they say about it, too.

3)I don't really look at it much. I can't say anything about it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 05:47:29 pm »

3) People editing pages occasionally need to put a little bit more thought/research into things, but mostly, the editor pool seems to have way too many people obsessed with popular culture (or specific works) in ways that negatively influence their editing judgment, to put it lightly. This is especially true when you see a page that is obviously edited primarily by *fans* - not critics, or impartial patrons of fiction, but *fans* (wrong angle from which to approach literary criticism, that's for sure). Also, people need to stop using tropes as in the post directly before mine here (although I assume that's parodical in that case). It's as if they're trying to hammer the sapir-whorf hypothesis directly into their brains, or invent newspeak. Tropes are useful terms but they don't have to be used eighty-six times per sentence, or treated as gospel.
Actually, I disagree with this. I think TvTropes should be written by fans, and try to stuff as many tropes into a page as possible.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 05:51:11 pm »

The all-blue entry page should give g-flex a headache then.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 06:15:37 pm »

Actually, I like lots of links, too.

What I hate is useless links, like the ones to stuff like "So Yeah" or "Understatement."  It makes things so much more boring and redundant.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 09:40:55 pm »

1) I used to browse (and sometimes edit) the articles. The wiki is slowly getting worse due to its community. I still visit the site once in awhile.

2) I find the site interesting. I stay away from the forum.

3) I think the site should stick to cataloging tropes and get rid of tropers' tales and the various unrelated articles.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 09:49:30 pm »

I don't visit it as much anymore. I've read a large amount of the pages by now honestly. Though I like reading pages of movies I just watched or games I just played. I don't edit at all. I'm a reader not an editor!

In the practical sense not all that useful I guess? Though the point of the page in my opinion is to be fun and not exactly useful. I enjoy mostly pages of works than pages of tropes themselves to be honest!

I don't really like the splits that have been going on. The pages were much better when everything was all in one. I also HATE HATE HATE how they changed "Nightmare fuel" into "Accidental nightmare fuel". That's just stupid. I want the name changed back! D:
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6