Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts of the Future  (Read 33959 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Forgotten Beasts of the Future
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 05:16:38 pm »

Not so much a theory of new FBs here as me wanting to share getting a gecko FB. Skinless, with deadly dust. My first thought (aside from 'Well, there goes the fort!') was 'Beware it's deadly car insurance!'
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 09:37:15 pm »

Not so much a theory of new FBs here as me wanting to share getting a gecko FB. Skinless, with deadly dust. My first thought (aside from 'Well, there goes the fort!') was 'Beware it's deadly car insurance!'
Or, with the new commercials:

A great hairless ape. Its suit is black and white and it moves about deliberately. Beware its dull repetitions!

"Could switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance? Are these commercials starting to get irritating?"
[dwarves in vicinity begin to tantrum]
Urist McTubeWatchr has been miserable lately. He is tired of listening to the same old commercials. He suffered major boredom recently. He has lost a friend to tragedy recently. He has slept in the soil recently. He has suffered minor injuries lately. He has eaten in a decent dining room recently. He has complained of the lack of chairs recently.
"Could switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance? Am I going to keep repeating things like this until I get a tantrum spirACK!"
The forgotten beast has been struck down.
Urist McTubeWatchr has been miserable lately. He has taken joy in the slaughter recently. He has sustained major injuries recently. He has had to listen to another annoying slogan recently. He is tired of listening to the same old commercials. He suffered major boredom recently. He has lost a friend to tragedy recently. He has slept in the soil recently. He has suffered minor injuries lately. He has eaten in a decent dining room recently. He has complained of the lack of chairs recently.
Urist McTubeWatchr has gone berzerk!
"Could...switching..."
Urist McRandomCheeseMaker has been struck down.
"...Geico...really...fifteen..."
Urist McRandomCheesMakersFriend is throwing a tantrum!
"...cent or...ore...insurance?"
Masterwork item destroyed by Urist McRandomCheeseMakersFriend X5
Urist McRandomCheeseMakersFriend has calmed down.
Urist McCarpenter has been stricken with melancholy.
Urist McFriendly has gone berzerk!
Urist McRandomCheeseMakersFriend has been exectued.
"Did...I..."
Urist McCarpenter has drowned.
Urist McRandomGuy is throwing a tantrum!
Urist McLegendaryMiner has gone berzerk![color]
Urist McBrewer has been struck down.
Urist McPeasant has been struck down.
Urist McWoodcutter has been struck down.
Urist McSherrif has been struck down.
Urist McRandomGuy has been struck down.

Urist McUseless has gone stark raving mad!
"...get...my..."
Urist McRecruit has been struck down. X7
Urist McUseless has been struck down.
Urist McRecruit has been struck down. X3
Urist McBaron has been struck down.
Urist McNoobMiner has been struck down.
Urist McMayor has been struck down.

Several dwarves have gone insane.
Spring has arrived!
Several dwarves have drowned.
Urist McResident has been struck down. X31

"...revenge?"
Your settlement has crumbled to its end.
---
Urist McLegendaryMiner
Fifty notable kills
etc.

Wow, that was impressive! All at once!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 12:10:01 am »

"Dont be silly... Report to the beast chamber for genetic reassignment at once."

If Toady implements in-fortress crossbreeding of different types of forgotten beasts, we could Mendelianly cross type after type and select only the most awesome offspring, with the ultimate goal of birthing a forgotten beast whose breath turns dwarves into flaming poison ghost werebear vampires!

Ooh... We could breed something that would create a syndrome that only kills certain types of creatures. It would cause both 2000-year-incubation period necrosis in brain matter AND five second necrosis in pudge. Releasing it into the wild would eventually cause it to become endemic in every biome throughout the world! At last we would have the final solution to fluffy wamblers...

Oh. Maybe it's better if DF doesn't allow anyone to genetically engineer bioweapons.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 01:08:59 am »

Oh. Maybe it's better if DF doesn't allow anyone to genetically engineer bioweapons.

NO NO NO NO NO
EVERYTHING IS BETTER WITH GENETICALLY ENGINEERED BIOWEAPONS
I CAN TASTE THE MELTING ELVES ALREADY
IT WILL BE GLORIOUS

And yes, it is two in the morning where I am. Realistically, it's unlikely that we'll be able to breed FBs, because they're all listed as the only one of their kind, which I would assume precludes spore compatibility.

If you wanted something like this, you'd have to do some modding.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 01:16:56 am »

If Toady were to remove modding/breeding I would have to express exactly how prone I am to all three forms of insanity.
Genetically engineered magmatic bioweapons EVERYWHERE!

In all seriousness, yes, this has potential for horribleGREAT things. We may not be able to breed actual forgotten beasts, but with constructs we MAY have a chance to combine traits directly into beings we produce, letting us create a creature that spews dust that transforms dwarves into terrifying machines of war during the new moon, while killing goblins and elves in a horrible fashion. All from within the game, not through modding. Modding from without the game will likely always be more powerful, though. Then you can do absolutely anything.

I want the werebeast syndromes tags...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 03:55:14 am »

Hope Toady does not overlook the awesome necessity of adding all the fancy new status effects to the Forgotten Beast generator for massive amounts of Fun.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 03:59:11 am »

Were-forgotten beasts!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 04:03:48 am »

Were-forgotten beasts!

Was thinking more along the lines of turning everyone into vampiric were-geese with its gaze.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 04:14:59 am »

I'm sure it'd get boring fast if the "were-whatever" was thrown to the FB's. It'd make more sense in my opinion if they could cause other random mutations, good or bad, or turn the infected into hostile RNG-structured horrors that follow the FB like their mother. Which it is.

Also, I'm pretty sure FB's wouldn't be able to breed even if one had a curse to turn other FB's to copies of itself, since all of the FB's lack genders. Which right now DF doesn't support when it comes to procreation. We need a CAN_MITOSIS tag, stat!

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 05:48:38 am »

After reading this topic, I am convinced we need to genetically mutate our dwarves to be able to contaminate elves with a virus that makes them violently allergic to themselves just by close proximity. If I could draw I would make a picture of a three-armed, bulge-eyed dwarf with half his teeth and horrible clouds of green breath greeting an elf caravan which promptly begins to melt due to exposure to said breath and the following virus.

Some of the elves will have to be temporarily resistant, however. That way they can be carriers and bring back the horrible stories of their brethren melting before fiendish muta-dwarves, while simultaneously bringing said horror to their own home, before succumbing to it themselves.

...Good gourd, I've only been here five days. What have I become.
This space for rent

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 06:12:38 am »

Wow, it took you five days? That must be a new record! I succumbed in three!

Of course, I must warn you: now that you have become one of us, there is no way back. The dwarfy way of thinking will dominate your mind anywhere you go, and in anything you do.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:17:55 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 10:55:36 am »

Somehow, I'm okay with that. I'm going to need to grow a huge beard now, though.
This space for rent

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 11:31:30 am »

Somehow, I'm okay with that. I'm going to need to grow a huge beard now, though.
The dwarfy way of thinking will dominate your mind anywhere you go, and in anything you do.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 11:38:25 am »

^ above poster is a fine specimen on dorfy thinking.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 11:48:49 am »

^ above poster is a fine specimen on dorfy thinking.
Ya think?

My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it  :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5