Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Let's Play Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri!  (Read 12901 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri!
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2011, 02:27:19 am »

You can tell by the heights on the western side that we've got room for at least one more base. I'm not sure I've ever seen a peninsula shaped like that, though, so it's likely we are indeed on a fairly small island.

Definitely get one more base, then terraform and research foils. For secret projects, I'm fairly neutral.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 05:30:46 am »

Our first Secret Project should be the Virtual World. We already get a free Network Node in each base, and having them count as free Recreation Commons as well is just awesome.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 07:54:55 am »

Our first Secret Project should be the Virtual World. We already get a free Network Node in each base, and having them count as free Recreation Commons as well is just awesome.

Agreed on this.  If we haven't the room for another base, it might be worthwhile to go after weather paradigm as well.  The quicker we can terraform, the faster we can grow.  And the effect will be cumulative.  We won't have to wait as long to get more improvements.  Solar arrays this early will increase research even further.

Memo to Provost
RE:  New Advances

Prokhor, had a chance to look over the latest reports that have been floating around.  Damned nasty work, those fungus worms.  Didn’t enjoy the video at all.  Did want to say though, that some of the lads have come up with some uses for all this red fungus.

We found using proper baking techniques, we can reduce the fungus to a protein paste.  Now it’s not the tastiest, I do admit, but it can keep the boys in the field going for some time.  Might help with the food shortage as well.  Looks like young Warrick came up with a few ideas on how to grow food a bit more efficiently.  She tells me we’ll have to re-do the sanitation system, and it won’t smell the best in the support staff quarters, but they’ll get used to it I’m sure.

I also caught a group of the younger students messing around with a still—damned thing nearly blew up one of the labs.  I soon put them right.  The new design is a lot more efficient and will produce alcohol from almost anything.  Tried a batch out on Werner.  He quite liked it at first, but I’m afraid we need to dilute it a bit.  Poor lad started to see things wriggling out of the walls, although his sight is coming back.  I’ll send you a case once we iron out the kinks.

On that, while we have several reading rooms and a network lab in both bases, some of the students are a bit restive.  We might want to get some areas where they can blow off some steam—you know how we all were as undergrads—a place to socialize, especially once we’ve perfected the fungus brew would certainly lift everyone’s spirits.

Yours truly, M.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:59:46 pm by Knick »
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2011, 10:18:14 am »

IIRC, command nexus is the one giving the free perimeter defence at each base for free. This is hella useful. But yeah, Virtual World and Weather Paradigm should be priority. Naval tech too. The sooner we're on the high seas, the sooner we can expand more.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 10:50:32 am »

Command nexus gives a free command centre I believe, you're thinking of the citizens defence force.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011, 02:43:48 am »

Herp derp.

On the one day of holidays when I actually have free time, SMAC crashes on me. Twice. And wiping out the save folder for good measure.

Restart Y/N?

United Forenia Forever!

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2011, 02:59:31 am »

Y.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 03:14:29 am »

Y, and do this:
Tiny map, 70-90% ocean, strong erosion,, abundant wildlife, dense clouds, Morgan, Transcend, go.

You'll need Iron Man off for this.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30:19 am »

Herp derp.

On the one day of holidays when I actually have free time, SMAC crashes on me. Twice. And wiping out the save folder for good measure.

Restart Y/N?

Yes please.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 04:54:40 am »

Unfortunately, my computer seems to be refusing to play SMAC properly now. I can get as far as the landing animation and tech select screen before everything crashes to hell.

I'm making another LP, since this one is obviously dead.

United Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]