Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fool"proof" way to breach a volcano - fast-flowing as well!  (Read 14558 times)

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile

First build this:
Code: [Select]
VThis is the wall of the volcano

WWCCC
~W##C
~W##C
~W##C
~W##CC
~W##XC
WWCCCC
z
WWCC
~W+C
~W+C
~W+C
~W+CC
~W+.UC
WWCCC
z-1

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This drains to beneath the bridge - make sure you have enough drainage and/or reservoir space! Build it from above the up/down stairway.
Connect the bridge to a lever and open it and smooth the 5 walls to the left of the grates. Then, starting with one side, fortify the spaces one by one. You may get some job canceled notifications, but it's alright.
Voila! To stop it, just close the bridge.
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Fool"proof" way to breach a volcano - fast-flowing as well!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:50:55 pm »

Hmm, not bad.  Have you successfully tested this?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:55:45 pm »

I usually just order some more slabs, but I like your solution better

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:02:49 pm »

I usually just order some more slabs, but I like your solution better

This is a problem..hmm. Now someone needs to find a way to make it un-sa !FUN!
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:04:35 pm »

Well, this can easily be tested with some cast obsidian and an artificial volcano.  All you need is a flat wall and a tall pipe of magma, after all.  The actual naturally occurring specifics aren't so important as the theory.

Either way, I believe that someone will die in the course of this undertaking.  No volcano may be completely harmless.

vintermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 02:20:01 am »

I find the most useless dwarf in my fort with DT, make him the only engraver, tells him to smooth+carve at a diagonal - making sure he's got some other work to run to once he's done. At worst, a slab. I leave a magma-safe door, attached to a lever, leading to an empty room - if I later want to extend my magmaworks beyond the forges I've set up, I can dig from that room at my leisure, wall it off, and pull the lever once it's ready.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 02:35:24 am »

Why not just dig out the plumbing and all, then channel the final tile from above?  If you can find a spot where it narrows slightly, nobody gets sacrificed.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:21:10 am »

I tap it from teh top.  I carve fortifications 1 tile in and then channel out the final pieces from above at the top of the volcano.  Never had any magma related accidents.  For later magma expansions I usually dig out a bit of a reservoir that can also be tapped.

Now if you want to tap the volcano further down so you have more magma in the reservoir (for like a magma cannon) then this won't work.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:28:09 pm »

Do people dwarves still die tapping volcanoes? I usually dig a tunnel to the pipe, designate a single tile of the pipe wall to be channeled and make sure there's more digging to be done elsewhere so the miner gets out of there fast. Magma filling the channeled tile doesn't buy a lot of time, but it's always been enough... the only times I've lost a miner to magma is when I do something out of the ordinary like channeling more than one tile, not having other designations for the miner to go to, screwing around with ramps etc.

Setup

Magma fills channel, giving the miner time to escape

Dwarf escapes unharmed
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:30:29 pm by Sidhien »

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:54:07 pm »

That works for "static" applications - forges and such- but good luck getting any real flow rates out of it. This is a way to achieve fast flow rates while also allowing dwarves to escape.
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:39:29 pm »

If you need flow, you can stick a pump on the z-level over it. Magma will be sucked into the pump as fast as it can flow into the hole. Use multiple tap/pump combos to increase flow even more.

~~~#######
~~~# %%~~~
~~~~/#####
~~~/##

~ - magma
# - wall
/ - ramp/channel
% - pump

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 07:56:20 pm »

The Foundry

Just what I use, top floor is bar stockpile, second floor is forges, bottem is magma reservoir.  "Fairly" pressure safe, I've never lost any miners cutting the last diagonal at the tube,  nor have I had it flood. 
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:39:03 pm »

Sorry for nerco-ing an old topic, but how exactly would this system work? The lava would pour down the grates, of course, but what about when it hits the bridge? If the area below the bridge isn't channeled, wouldn't the lava not flow through the bridge?

Also, what if the reservoir is full, and you want to cut it off? If you close the bridge, what happens when the lava fills up the bridge's level? 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 09:42:39 pm »

I think that . there is supposed to be a C.  The idea is that the bridge is your oversized floodgate.  Open and the magma flows down, close and the flow stops.  The top layer is surrounded by walls, so it won't overflow the walls, magma isn't pressurized.

Also, while still a valid method, Dwarven Relativity has an updated version since .32.xx magma flows faster, the old ways have often become unsafe.  The "dig through a door" seems to work well though.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 10:10:42 pm »

It doesn't flow faster, you just can't sit it in for even a millisecond anymore, you get insta-toasted.

It used to be OK to walk for a second in 1/7 lava. Now its deth.
Pages: [1] 2