Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installing Alpha Centauri on windows 7 64 bit  (Read 23667 times)

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
Installing Alpha Centauri on windows 7 64 bit
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:36:49 am »

So a set of videos has grabbed me and made me want to play this very interesting game.

Good news. My girlfriend owns both the original and Alien crossfire.

Bad news. It won't install at all, it wont even pop anything up and just sits in the task manager after I run it. Compatibility modes, administrator mode, and a lot of other right clicking stuff doesn't help at all. So how can I get this bitch to install correctly?
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Alpha Centauri on windows 7 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:46:03 am »

There's a patch on this website in the linked thread. Maybe it'll help.

[EDIT] Yeah, apparantly it fixes the whole won't install stuff. You may need a graphics patch for the game to run as it was intended, however.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:51:44 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:57:38 am »

While the page itself wasn't what I needed. There were instructions for a manual install elsewhere. So I suppose problem solved.

For anyone else having this problem. Copying the Programs file into a folder named "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri" in the directory you want is pretty much installing the game. Putting the FX, voices and movies folder inside too will make it into a full install. You can do this for alien crossfire too so long as you put it in second.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:04:03 am by Owlga »
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 05:47:54 am »

I had a similar problem with an old game (Combat Mission Afrika Corps, best tactical game ever).
As it turned out uac would attempt to ask me if it was ok to install it but would get blocked(damn you microsoft)
and just sit there. So I temp disabled UAC and it ran fine.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:37:11 am by optimumtact »
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:48:23 am »

Also, don't bother with Alien Crossfire. It is much much worse than the original.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:35:50 pm »

Also, don't bother with Alien Crossfire. It is much much worse than the original.

I think the only real problem with it is that the two alien factions are unbalanced.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:43:13 pm »

The flavour is not only bad, but bad enough to make the original game less good.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 01:44:51 pm »

I installed VMWare and used my old Win 2000 install CD so I could play some older games.  Particularly those 16bit Win95 games that the newer versions of Windows don't support or simply don't run right.  Lords of the Realm 2 is one example.  It only runs at 640x480 and had a 16bit installer.  I  couldn't install it and if I used any work-arounds it would look like crap because it's stretched across my 16:9 monitor.

Trust me, this is your best solution for retro-gaming on a modern computer.  Plus you get some use out of those old licenses of Windows you likely have sitting around.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 05:49:29 pm »

Alternatively, install it for the enhaced aliens, but play with the old factions. (I agree, the new ones suck. The aliens were actually the least sucky of them, in fact)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:56:24 am »

Nah, the expansion is good. You can choose which factions will show up in any given game, too, so you get to keep some new tech and landmarks without... well, the Pirates. The Pirates are awesome, but grossly overpowered. That said they're well worth a single play-through for the novelty of an all-naval-base approach.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 10:59:11 am »

Good Old Games just put SMAC up for sale a few moments ago, for those interested. No Alien Crossfire though.