Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Raider lifestyle  (Read 3223 times)

yohyzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Raider lifestyle
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 04:34:25 pm »

You can just sleep in lairs to avoid bogeymen. Also makes a good place for storing stuff.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 04:36:22 pm »

Thanks for the advice, but you have no idea how difficult it is ( for me ) to kill even a single bogeyman.  I can't hit even one of them most of the time and every time they touch me, my muscles, fat and skin are flayed, my bones chipped broken, eventually they just gang up on me.  It's endless and very painful.
Indeed. The only adventurers I've had survive bogeymen were mind flayer void master demigods.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mars7a

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 10:41:56 pm »

If you're far from civilization, no bogeymen will attack you, so after a hard days pillage, just retreat to the wilderness.
Really?  never noticed that... can anyone confirm?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Bogeyman

"they can be avoided... ...by travelling far away from civilization (they only appear in the vicinity of towns, elven retreats, dark towers, etc.). "

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 11:39:11 pm »

If you're far from civilization, no bogeymen will attack you, so after a hard days pillage, just retreat to the wilderness.

"they can be avoided... ...by travelling far away from civilization (they only appear in the vicinity of towns, elven retreats, dark towers, etc.). "

Really?  I'll try that, but if my adventurer gets mobbed in the middle of the wilderness his blood is on your hands. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 02:03:49 am »

Really?  I'll try that, but if my adventurer gets mobbed in the middle of the wilderness his blood is on your hands. 
I can confirm that bogeymen don't attack when you are far from civilization. However, to actually pillage someone you should be close to civilization, so they'll get you. You should be no closer than 2-3 days of travel to nearest civ to evade their attention. 

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 02:05:08 am »

I can't travel that far without night falling  :(
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 02:18:49 am »

are there any mountains nearby? IIRC bogeymen don't spawn in mountainous regions yet. just make sure you're in a mountainous environment (hit Q to check, I guess) and not simply on the grasslands nearby.

Edit: If you can't hit them, seriously consider spending a while grinding up your weapon skill. Get yourself a terrible weapon (wooden weapons are amazing for this, if you can find any in lairs) and go knock out a large creature with a couple of stones. Proceed to wail on it until you've got a decent weapon proficiency. If you find creatures are bleeding out too fast, try slapping and butting with the weapon - iirc those raise weapon skill too.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:24:32 am by jrmy »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 02:41:43 am »

you could make a 'camp site' for retiring and hiring goons. using Dfusion to prevent scattering and recruiting the men and using DFmode from DFhack to do the retiring trick you can murder and conquer the lands.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 03:35:55 am »

the most simple of all, collect some quests to kill wild animals or night creatures first. You'll know locations of lairs nearby and you'll be able to retreat to those lairs and sleep and hoard stuff there. Wild animals are very easy,  and even night creatures should be manageable if you are strong enough to depopulate entire towns.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 03:43:54 am »

the most simple of all, collect some quests to kill wild animals or night creatures first. You'll know locations of lairs nearby and you'll be able to retreat to those lairs and sleep and hoard stuff there. Wild animals are very easy,  and even night creatures should be manageable if you are strong enough to depopulate entire towns.

You have to understand, the reason I managed to kill off many, many villages was because I fought smart.  Peasants and other villagers are weak individually, and I managed to fight them without them mobbing me.  I can't do that for bogeymen.  They are often faster than me, and a single one of them can bring me down.  These night creatures that I have heard about, I don't often get missions to deal with them, and usually their lairs are really far away, too far for me to be able to outrun nighttime. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 09:37:56 am »

It would be easier to spam 'Surroundings', you can get the locations of all of the lairs faster that way.

As for killing bogeymen, if you're faster than them (Most of the time speed 1200+ will do it) you can just avoid walking near them until daytime and they'll melt, else you can step a few spaces away from them and headshot them with rocks/severed limbs. (If you throw something they can move 2 tiles if your speed isn't much higher than theirs, also they get a free move if they dodge, it's funny when they dodge into the flying object...)
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 01:30:51 pm »

bogeymen are not hard to fight with the right planing.

1: can i sleep in the day and move at night.(so that you dont get killed in your sleep)
2: can i lower the weight of my pack? ammo, copper crap and any other junk?

bogeymen will be killed is seconds by Peasants if you sleep with the door open.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 05:27:14 pm »

Remember that bogeymen also don't spawn when you are in certain biomes, I believe it's deserts and glaciers. There may be more, but I don't remember them.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 06:03:13 pm »

I believe what he meant about being able to turn bogeymen off is that if you step into a safe location (a lair, a house etc) the bogeymen will instantly evaporate the same way they do if killed or if daylight strikes them.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 07:22:00 pm »

Tundras are also safe from bogeymen. Try raiding taiga villages.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 [2]