Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: When Dwarf Fortress creeps into your daily life  (Read 6559 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: When Dwarf Fortress creeps into your daily life
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 11:02:30 pm »

I often consider things in DF terms as well. I stopped and took a moment to admire a bronze statue of a farmer sitting on a rock, and I couldn't help but think "this is a +bronze statue+ by an unknown artisan." And that I had "admired a tastefully arranged statue lately." I have also said, without a hint of irony, that something was "sad, but not unexpected," and have considered the fact that if I were a dwarf, my tiny dorm room that I share with someone else would be the height of luxury; as the both of us have our own bed, two cabinets, a chest, a table, and a chair.

I was also super excited to see the Museum of Natural History in New York's geology exhibition when we went there last summer, even more so when I saw hematite, magnetite, tetrahedrite, native copper, and native gold all in one place. The microcline and the precious stones were pretty cool too.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

nzybwnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 11:34:48 pm »

I had a Dwarf Fortress dream once. I don't remember much about it other than that it was extremely strange.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 11:45:14 pm »

I too have found myself mentioning dwarf fortress terms in conversation, and the group I work with are all nerdy enough to get it, (Server phone tech support). I enjoy looking at mineral outcroppings, have several times picked up some coal from the right of way in Raton pass in Colorado, finding quartz beds on a base of silver/+lead ore. getting iron pyrite in the streams then roasting the iron pyrite to drive off the brimstone (producing lots of rust (Iron Oxide) :-), panning for placer gold, not finding any though. Eventually I'll collect up enough coal and magnetite sand and I'll make a sword out of it. Yes I know the metal will not be good quality steel, but not many folks can say they've made a sword from sand, and it'll mean a lot more to me than if I had someone make me a sword out of the blue stuff (titanium).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 03:16:56 am »

It crawls in frequently, generally in conversation with one of my friends, who while he doesn't play the game, greatly enjoys hearing about things like magma crabs, people being catapulted to thier death by  a drawbridge, and dwarves falling off of things and getting thier upper body squished into thier lower body (or as he called it, making a dwarf dwarf.)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 02:57:33 pm »

I've taken to saying "It was inevitable." whenever something terrible or great happens.
Pages: 1 2 [3]