Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarven Relativity; The Dwarven Knowledge Centre  (Read 94577 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Relativity; The Dwarven Knowledge Centre
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 12:18:30 am »

But if you're listing that, why not the dwarf calculator? the dwarfputer? MEGADORF? The Fist of Armok? DOMAIN Mk II orbital magma cannon? The space elevator?

Humbly suggest a simple link to the hall of legends thread will suffice. We're more interested in !!SCIENCE!! than... erm... !!HISTORY!!.

That said:
Soundsense
Dwarf Foreman
Easy Obsidian Farm (Credit to Quietust)
Pierce Any Aquifer With Less Fuss
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 02:41:02 pm »

Sadly this table is unreliable, because grass grows at different rates according to temperature and rainfall...
I wouldn't say "unreliable", I would "incomplete but a decent starter".  Most embarks with halfway decent vegetation can use it's numbers without really going wrong.  If you have a heavier or lesser vegetation you have to modify to suit.

For instance I've found most of those numbers can eaily support 2-3 creatures of that type on pastures of those sizes on medium vegetation, which easily allows for mated pairs and their young.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 02:54:29 pm »

Sadly this table is unreliable, because grass grows at different rates according to temperature and rainfall.

Just improving general knowledge.
Toady mentioned in one of the recent DF Talks that grass is actually very simple. The game picks random tiles and, if they are grass-growable, adds 25% to the grass there. No difference between climates, at least for now.

But I believe this is an awesome idea. I agree with others that you should focus more on the !!SCIENCE!! aspect then the !!HISTORY!! aspect.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 03:41:00 pm »

Psst, it's "renown" not "renounce" >.>

Sadly I don't really have anything to contribute. I made an automatic building-destroyer-safe self-draining  magma trap a while back, but it just used standard water logic stuff.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 07:00:03 pm »

Updated for the grass table.  I'll re-arrange the historical issues later, or just link to the hall of legends and keep this thread down to science, creations, and applicable technology (dwarfnology?).  To that end, if anyone has the link to that one thread that explains water movement, I would be much obliged.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 04:36:33 pm »

You should add the Bridgeapaults Science thread:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42111.0

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 11:15:39 pm »

*bump*

Updated with the Dual-wielding shields science results.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 11:33:34 pm »

This needs to be stickied please.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:09 pm »

This needs to be stickied please.
Agreed.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 01:53:10 am »

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 03:29:33 am »

How about AncientEnemy's mist generator?
Since he detailed how to make one, all of my fortresses have had one. Placed in a high-traffic area, it's an incredibly efficient happy thought generator.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 03:58:19 am »

Also like to suggest http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=86283.0

Sure its mine and a fortified pillbox isnt new, but there was some pretty good defensive discussions later in the thread and the designs are altered somewhat from the norm to improve them based on the feedback I got from the forum.

I'd also second the mist generator, I kept getting that very wrong till I checked that design.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:18:10 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:58 am »

How about AncientEnemy's mist generator?
Since he detailed how to make one, all of my fortresses have had one. Placed in a high-traffic area, it's an incredibly efficient happy thought generator.

Oh, yes, I love those things almost as much as my dorfs do.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 10:15:03 am »

How about AncientEnemy's mist generator? Since he detailed how to make one, all of my fortresses have had one. Placed in a high-traffic area, it's an incredibly efficient happy thought generator.
It's not hard to create a simpler two-pump head-to-tail version, if you have two z-levels above the installation spot to play with. It's like a pump stack without a pump on the bottom floor. Just build a statue at the point where the water lands, and power the two pumps externally (like with a water reactor) and away you go. Lower pump count is smaller reactor requirement, and easier placement (horizontally - vertically this will require another floor). It will also produce a little less mist, so it's marginally easier on FPS, if that's an issue.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 10:42:47 am »

Code: [Select]
  %%
_ %% _
 ____
This is a side-view that I use for fast-action mist generators.  Takes 2 pumps, and can be manually powered very easily by adding some scaffolding nearby.  Water goes up one way, then up the second pump, and then waterfalls down into the loop under the floor.  I use this frequently to train my migrants/12 year olds in the military, so they don't get the "relieved from duty" mood.  Pump operator is a civilian skill, so when they leave active duty they think they have a job to do.  In the meantime, mist generation and attribute training.  Put a few of these in your dining hall, especially if you arrange the tables so that dwarves sit near the mist, and they work extremely well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9