Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Halo 4, Halo 1 remake, both announced  (Read 10153 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Halo 4, Halo 1 remake, both announced
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 02:58:50 pm »

As was mentioned earlier, it's headed by ex-Bungie staff, so...
Still not really looking forward to it.
John is boring and Cortana's annoying as hell.
Of course, it's possible he's been in stasis for so long she's going rampant, which would be a lot more interesting.

How can Halo 4 happen? The storyline ended, the war ended, the flood was eradicated, end of story.

There's still a lot of unanswered questions regarding the forerunners.
And that thing in the trailer looked like one of their contraptions.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 03:10:29 pm »

How can Halo 4 happen? The storyline ended, the war ended, the flood was eradicated, end of story.

There's still a lot of unanswered questions regarding the forerunners.
And that thing in the trailer looked like one of their contraptions.
Indeed it is.
It is unsure at this point much more about the game except that it will continue where Halo 3 left off. In the trailer John-117 awakens to a frightened Cortana pleading him to leave the cryo-tube... ...He arrives at the back of the ripped off ship, and looks out into abyss of space, while the Dawn approaches a mysterious planet/ unknown construct, with a portal/tunnel on it. It has been said by Frank O'Connor that the planet is the Legendary planet seen in Halo 3, during the Legendary ending cutscene.

Anyway, I'm mostly looking forward to the anniversary one for the upgraded graphics (and the ability to switch back to the old graphics). Hopefully they'll sell it cheaper than an actual game, or at least cheaper for those who already have Halo 1.

For Halo 4... not so much. Not sure why, I just don't feel any excitement.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 03:20:05 pm »

First thing I said when I heard about Halo 4:
"No Bungie, Its going to Suck."

Sucks even more because Halo was the first "real" video game I had ever played, so I naturally feel to like both the game and the studio.
Even with half of the orginal Bungie Team, Microsoft is likely to mess up quite a few things with there damned Exective Meddling!
It could be worse, though. Halo 4 could be made by EA.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 03:50:39 pm »

Unlike some of you, I'm actually kind of excited about Halo 4. You're not facing the flood (killed) you're not facing Covenant (dead/neutered), so that means what could be entirely forerunners... or something else.

Anyways, I love the Master Chief. he's really the Last Warrior, after all of his comrades have died. Also, this means that he has no allies, he's going it alone.

You have to realize what this means. New vehicle types, new enemies, new species, new everything!
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 03:59:03 pm »

Microsoft.

No Bungie.

That is all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 04:06:40 pm »

Unlike some of you, I'm actually kind of excited about Halo 4. You're not facing the flood (killed) you're not facing Covenant (dead/neutered), so that means what could be entirely forerunners... or something else.
\

So basically everything that Halo was built on is over, and we should expect the future to be....bright?

I don't have a deeply-vested stake in the outcome. I was bored with Halo during Halo 2, and I've just watched the titles march on since then.

But when a top-selling series gets kicked down to another developer, whose job it is to extend the life of the game beyond when the original developers said it was over....yeah. That's often when people point to a series falling down and not getting back up. Added to the fact they've already spun Halo off into other titles, and I don't see a lot of cause for high expectations.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 04:22:42 pm »

I think that the storyline will go along-side the Ghosts of Onyx book, they get stuck in a forerunner planet and guess whos going to a forerunner planet?? thats right
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 04:47:37 pm »

\

So basically everything that Halo was built on is over, and we should expect the future to be....bright?

I don't have a deeply-vested stake in the outcome. I was bored with Halo during Halo 2, and I've just watched the titles march on since then.

But when a top-selling series gets kicked down to another developer, whose job it is to extend the life of the game beyond when the original developers said it was over....yeah. That's often when people point to a series falling down and not getting back up. Added to the fact they've already spun Halo off into other titles, and I don't see a lot of cause for high expectations.

Again, ex bungie staff. If it was any other developer people would have a reason to be worried, but these guys know what they're doing, after all, they worked on the damn thing.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 04:51:22 pm »

I think that the storyline will go along-side the Ghosts of Onyx book, they get stuck in a forerunner planet and guess whos going to a forerunner planet?? thats right
Problem: According to the wiki, Onyx was destroyed. The world seen is an intact world.

With the Shield World closed and gated by Kurt-051, Onyx 'disintegrated' into its trillions of component Sentinels. The Covenant Fleet, so recently victorious against the Humans, were finally obliterated by the swarm of vigilant constructs. Only the UNSC Dusk managed to escape alive and intact. It is not known whether the data the UNSC Dusk carried ever reached Earth.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 05:01:04 pm »

Again, ex bungie staff. If it was any other developer people would have a reason to be worried, but these guys know what they're doing, after all, they worked on the damn thing.

It wouldn't be the first time ex-staff from games I liked went on to make games that sucked. I'm looking at you, Brad Wardell and half the EQ staff.

Ex-staff or not, you've got different levels of resources and untested staff to fill things out. Ex-staff is a good sign, but it's hardly a guarantee. Especially with a series as played out as Halo. For all we know, ex-Bungie staff are good at producing the kind of Halo I found to be terrible.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:04:04 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 05:09:29 pm »

Screw the main Halo storyline, Halo 1 and Halo: Reach are the really only good ones, I think. Storywise, at least, Master Chief is incredibly boring and Cortana annoying. Reach was interesting and I think at this point Halo should lie dead with a send off like that. Halo 4 seems to be a franchise zombie and going nowhere, as there's nowhere left to go.

Now don't get me started on the Halo 1 "remake"

$40 for a graphics bump and multiplayer? This is both a stupid thing to make and a ripoff. Why only redo the first halo? The only time when a graphics boost "remake" is worth anything is if it's in a package, like a trilogy. Halo 1, 2 and 3 with updated graphics and multiplayer and whatnot would be awesome and worth a full price for a game. $40 for the content of a DLC or two is a ripoff for an idea lacking in much sense to begin with. I think taking the same route as Metroid Prime Trilogy would be the best option, a true collector's edition type thing, instead of a cheap capitalization of the first game.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 05:11:55 pm »

Halo 4: Erm, I'm not sure if that's possible. I mean, you're alone, and pretty much the only possible enemies are friggin' sentinels. Unless there is a weird temporal/dimensional rift and he ends up in Marathon. A new Marathon would be awesome.
Also, friends theory on what Halo 4 Thing is: Might have something to do with how the Forerunners stored and saved Sentient life.

Halo CE Anniversary: Oh this will be fun for a bit.

Other things: Make a damned Marine game, already! Or let me fight those Human rebels I've read in the books! Or at least another ODST game.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 05:19:55 pm »

Yeah, a marine game or another ODST game would be interesting.

Also, I feel as though they should revisit Harvest. Halo Wars was only on it for... 3 levels. And it wasn't even a FPS. Hardly doing Harvest any favors for the 5 years spent fighting for it.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 05:23:50 pm »

Personally, the only one I've ever played was Halo I, and that was recently. I'm not entirely sure how to get Halo 2 on any kind of a modern machine (XBox 360 or PC - I have windows XP, not 7, but I don't know if that would help at all) and to get it to run properly, and I'd want to actually know what was going on in the story, so I wouldn't want to just skip over it. So with that, I'm disappointed that they'd update/remake Halo 1 and not Halo 2.

I'm also aware that Bungie ended Halo's story, and figuring this is just a cash grab by Microsoft.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 05:27:59 pm »

Halo 2 works on the Xbox360. It also has a PC version, which I'm pretty sure would work on Vista (since it was used as a game that "Required" DirectX 10, even though it didn't use it).

Shouldn't be to hard to get it to work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4