Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Logic designing request (advanced)  (Read 2929 times)

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
Logic designing request (advanced)
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:11:15 pm »

Can anyone help me build a fast incrementer/decrementer? I don't care what logic type as long as it's fast and scalable.
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Re: Logic designing request (advanced)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:06:02 am »

Can anyone help me build a fast incrementer/decrementer? I don't care what logic type as long as it's fast and scalable.

Open any text program. Press a number key multiple times. Then hold or rapidly press the delete/backspace key. Switch between the two actions until the desired amount of accretion is reached.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 04:51:20 am »

icwutudidthar

and generally, without more information, we can't help you out
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:46:19 am »

To be honest, I dn't even know what he's talking about. But it sounded like a simple enough question to answer.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:52:42 am »

he wants a device which, once started, sends a progression to the output, like 1, then 2, then 3 and further indefinitely and the faster the better. by scalability i guess he means the ease of expanding the device so that it can have a greater maximum number.
i think it's something like this

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:22:15 pm »

unless redstone circuits get implemented... i guess you can't do this in dwarf fortress..

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »

Yeah, I can't answer your question directly, but have you looked at the dwarven calculator or mechanical logic entries on the wiki? If you want fast, fluid logic isn't going to be that much help, but since it's the hybrid component in mechanical logic you're going to have problems if you need anything less than the 100-step delay for pressure plate toggles.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 03:48:33 pm »

Yeah, I can't answer your question directly, but have you looked at the dwarven calculator or mechanical logic entries on the wiki? If you want fast, fluid logic isn't going to be that much help, but since it's the hybrid component in mechanical logic you're going to have problems if you need anything less than the 100-step delay for pressure plate toggles.
I've figured out how to do it - design from here, with some modifications to optimize it for DF's quirks. Should I post it here when I'm done? Or is it too special-purpose for here?

And by the way  may end up making it using fluid logic unless I can find a better flip-flop. Fluid logic is only slow if you chain it together - if you directly connect the gates it can be just as fast in many cases as PTML.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:57:32 pm »

It's your thread, of course, but yeah I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 04:19:10 pm »

The flip-flop design so far:

(Spoilered for size)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »

Ah, the final design belongs on the PTML wiki page, take credit where it's due.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 09:17:06 pm »

Now I just need to implement this. I can split out the and gates though - that will be the easy part. I'll put an or gate between up and down for the clock, which should work. More planning required!

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 09:43:24 pm »

And here is the "final" version of a T flip flop:
(Note that q should be Q with a bar over the top, but I don't know how to do that...)
Truth Table:
Main Design:
And power sensor design (shamelessly ripped from the wiki)

Oops - this doesn't work, but I know why. I'll fix it in a bit.
Fix'd
Or not - this design won't work, period. See later post for one that should work.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:58:10 pm by Root Infinity »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 09:48:32 pm »

Once you get all this hashed out and in-game, your legendary fortresssmith title is assured if you can build it into a working clock that automates traders and siege defenses.

Just sayin'.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 12:54:49 am »

You've got a nice idea, but if I were you I'd try to think more in terms of the medium you're using to build with.  For instance, try having a single "unit" (really 7) of water be moved around in a line of pressure plates, one way or the other depending on which pump etc. is triggered.  The result would be inefficient in terms of output compression, but you can probably work around that in other ways; it'll be a lot simpler from the number of pumps needed alone!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.
Pages: [1] 2