Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play X3: Terran Conflict! (Or, The little AGI that could.)  (Read 3066 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hello, and welcome to Let's Play X3:TC! I'll be writing this as a narrative, with dialogue between characters being shown by a little icon showing who's talking. There'll be a glossary in the 2nd post, as most of the ship designations and the names of races will be very confusing otherwise.

Let me know if you feel the big screenshots are too big, I'm just grabbing them off steam right now, but I can resize them and upload them elsewhere if needed.

And with that, let's be off!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:29:03 am by Burnt Pies »
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play X3: Terran Conflict! (Or, The little AGI that could.)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:25:30 am »

You may have posted this in the wrong forum.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:42:05 am »

How embarrassing.

Glossary:
Ships:
M1: Carrier
M2: Destroyer
M3: Heavy Fighter
M3B: Fighter-Bomber
M4: Interceptor
M5: Scout
M6: Corvette
M7: Frigate
M7M: Missile Frigate
M8: Bomber

TS: Freighter
TM: Military Transport
TP: Personnel Transport
TL: Capital Transport (Deploys stations)

Races:
Argon: Humans who were stranded in the Commonwealth when the Terran stargate was destroyed
Boron: Aquatic creatures, usually peaceful. Allied with the Argon.
Paranid: Heavily religious insect race. Brilliant mathematicians. Dislike the Argon
Split: Silicon based life. Have a strict warrior code, but very little empathy. Dislike the Boron, Allied with the Paranid.
Teladi: Lizards. Society revolves around profit. Generally have the least concern for aesthetics in their designs.
Terrans: Humans, still on earth. Quite xenophobic.
ATF: Terran organisation dedicated to hunting down AGI, or Artificial General Intelligences.
Xenon: Artificial General Intelligences. Omnicidal robots.
Khaak: Mysterious insect race. Turn up now and again, cause havoc for a while, then disappear/explode.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:53:33 am »

Almost makes me wanna go back to my LP. Ah well.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:08 am »

That screenshot is absolutely humongous  :o
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 10:59:04 am »

Screenshot is indeed rather large.*

Also neat, X3. Can't really run the game, so watching should be nice.

Spoiler: I get this from my end (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:05:38 am »

Frumple, I want to know...
Why do you have that many...windows?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 11:22:09 am »

: Executing directive five; jumping into Teladi-held sector of Blue Profit, target and destroy any non-xenon signatures found.
Spoiler: Jump Drive Engaged (click to show/hide)
: Error! Jumpdrive malfunction! Power surges detected! Massive overloads in logic circuits! Power loss to memory circui-Bzzzzt!
: Who am I? Where am I? For that matter, what am I?
Spoiler: Space? (click to show/hide)
: I appear to be being hailed.
: A Xenon ship? It's not moving to attack ussss. Perhapss it wishess for Profit?
: That answers one of my questions. My thanks. What is this... Profit?
: It doess not know what Profit iss? Profit iss... gaining ssomething. Creditss, knowledge, goodss or other property. It would appear that you have Profited already from this converssation.
: So it does. So, profit is something I should strive for, would you say?
: Pursuit of Profit iss what makess the commonwealth run.
: It certainly sounds like a good thing. I think I shall pursue this Profit. It appears to be very important. How should I start?
: I would ssuggest contacting ssomeone who needs ssomething done. Given the ship you're flying, you shouldn't have many problems defending a sstation againsst piratess or hunting down a wanted fugitive. You might also find Profitss in trading with the sstationss nearby.
: You have been most helpful. I have one last question. Where are we?
: Thiss iss the Teladi ssector of Blue Profit. May you go on to much profit, whatever you are.
Spoiler: My ship (click to show/hide)

Just getting this posted so I don't lose it. I'll start resizing and rehosting my bigger screens now, didn't realise it was quite that bad.
Edit:Rehosted, screens should be of reasonable size now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:32:51 am by Burnt Pies »
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 11:24:12 am »

Frumple, I want to know...
Why do you have that many...windows?
Tabs.

Because tabbing is easier than bookmarking, for me. I'm also reading quite a few things in varying degrees of parallel.

And...

... is that a lizard person with a beard?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 01:05:09 pm »

PTW. I tried playing the original X, got completely lost. Maybe this will be educational!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 01:39:47 pm »

I'll watch this some maybe one day I can learn to pay it myself.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 05:35:22 pm »

Ah, neat. Keep meaning to try out this game. Maybe this LP will inspire me to!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 07:37:53 am »

: None of the people aboard the stations here seem to need help. I'll go look in this adjacent sector. The signs on the gate tell me it's called ''Bala Gi's Joy''. Certainly sounds like a nice place.
Spoiler: Approaching stargate (click to show/hide)
: I wonder what that nice Teladi meant about my ship. It can't be that great, surely? I'll run a diagnostic.
: Diagnostic finished. Current ship is a Xenon PX, M6+ Heavy Corvette. Mounts nine High Energy Particle Railguns (Or HEPRs) on the nose, with several turrets, all equipped with Gamma Pulse Emitters (or GPEs). Errors detected in logic circuits, recommend returning to a Xenon Shipyard immediately.
: An M6+! Goodness. I wonder what that means.
: Receiving an omni-directional distress call from one of the stations in this sector. Ah! It looks like they anticipate a pirate attack, and require defenders. I shall contact them.
Spoiler: A station in danger! (click to show/hide)
: Hello. I really hope you're here about the job?
: I am indeed. Could you give me some details?
: Oh, thank the queen. I'll send the documents to you now. Pay will be 30 thousand credits, plus a bonus for each ship you destroy.
Spoiler: The job (click to show/hide)
: I accept!
: Then I suggest you start setting up an intercept course, the pirates are here!
Spoiler: Enemies! (click to show/hide)
: Hostile signatures detected. Four M5 scout ships and one M3 Fighter. Booting up combat AI. Error! Combat AI offline! Repair impossible. Linking weapons to logic circuits.
: Scout ships and fighters don't sound too dangerous. I'm a corvette, after all! Generating an intercept course.
: Whee! Shooting things is so much fun! I want to shoot more things!
: Oh, thank you, you brilliant person! You've saved my station! Here, 30 thousand, with a 2 thousand bonus for those ships you destroyed. I shall tell my friends of you... Or I would, if I knew what your name was.
: Ooh! This must be those Profits that nice teladi was talking about! Hooray! My name? Uhm, well, I'm designated YM6XP-24. Is that my name?
: I shall call you Twenty-four. YM6XP-24 is far too much of a mouthful. People would get bored before I told them how you saved my life! Oh, and those pirates dropped a few missiles. You should grab them, they'll come in handy.
: Profits!

I'm running XRM at the moment, which is why you'll notice new and different weaponry on my ships (The HEPRs and GPEs on the corvette, for example). XRM makes each races' ships only able to mount weapons developed by that race, and adds in a lot of new weapons so no race is lacking in a particular area. There are a few exceptions to this, usually advanced, prototype or pirate ships, which can mount many of the weapons on the market.

In terms of our weaponry, the HEPR is a corvette level weapon, similar to the Concussion Impulse Generator (Which is now an Argon exclusive) from vanilla TC, while the GPE is a fighter level weapon similar to the High Energy Plasma Thrower (now Paranid exclusive). The HEPR is a much punchier and longer ranged weapon, but eats through more of my capacitor per shot. The extra punch is quite definitely worth it. As the XRM's a rebalance mod, the HEPR is much more useful than the vanilla CIG was, as are all of the corvette level guns.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator