Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Images within the Wiki  (Read 1862 times)

AAMMNN

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Tried storing booze and magma in the same barrel
    • View Profile
Images within the Wiki
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:29:12 pm »

Hi Everyone.

I've learned everything I know about dwarf fortress in the wiki, by randomly browsing it. It was a lot of fun for me to discover DF's world this way, and when a picture was here to enhance the article, the better it was. But as english isn't my first language, it was sometimes difficult to understand what the topic was, and as I'm french, I've never seen something like a capybara. On the other hand, I know what a badger looks like, but I didn't know what the english term was until I googled it.

Here is my point. As I spend most of my "Dwarf Fortress time" reading the wiki (like an encyclopedia, what it is) I would love to add as many images as I can, taken from some free-of-charge sites like wikimedia Commons.

And here is my problem : I just don't understand how to add an image on the wiki. I've tried to do it the way I did in wikipedia but was unable to have it work. Is there a kind soul down here to tell me how to?

PS : I also have a question : do people want to see images of what fantastic creatures look like or do they want to let their imagination work?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Images within the Wiki
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 06:46:25 am »

This is how it is done on the Rose Quartz page.
Code: [Select]
<gallery>
File:Rose_quartz.jpg|Smoothed Rose Quartz
</gallery>
I assume you need to upload it to the gallery in on the site, wherever that may be, and than do it like how I showed you.
EDIT: You can upload images by pressing upload files on the toolbox part of the main screen of the wiki.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:52:28 am by Dutchling »

AAMMNN

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Tried storing booze and magma in the same barrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:21:05 am »

Thanks, I already noticed the "gallery" tag but did'nt know how to upload. Thank you. Let's illustrate...

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 05:49:09 pm »

Godspeed, my friend.