Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96]

Author Topic: Strangest Shit Ever  (Read 128233 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm bored.
« Reply #1425 on: September 05, 2011, 02:35:31 am »

I just opened a backup save of my fortress to build a contraption to quickly and cleanly kill my entire fortress: a series of 1-wide corridors, with a pressure plate to a drawbridge in the middle of the corridor, and a construction to be removed at the end. Dwarf walks up, over pressure plate, onto drawbridge, which subsequently pulls and the dwarf tumbles down to the empty room below. I was going to run my whole fortress through that when an elven caravan arrived.

"ahh screw it"

i burrowed all my dorfs to the top level of my skyscraper (Trade depot is on main floor), then removed all of the support for it except for a single soap stair , and then told my mayor to remove the stair. three-hundred and forty-four dwarf death announcements later, I look at the aftermath.

All elves dead. YAY.
All dwarves de- wait a second. survivors! 2 babies survived with major injures - I looked at their thoughts:

Code: [Select]
Onok Ducimkab has been unhappy lately. He has lost a father to tragedy recently. He has lost a sibling to tragedy recently. He has lost a mother to tragedy recently. He has witnessed death. He choked on dust underground lately. He sustained major injuries recently.

I first thought that the mothers shielded the babies from the cave-in ... no not right.
The babies used their mothers as shields to protect against the cave-in.

OMIGOD. A mason survived the cave-in. WITH ZERO INJURIES! How in hell... he's gonna accompany the original Expedition Leader, whom I saved so i could see the aftermath.

I needed somewhere to post this little adventure. It was strange that that mason survived while the rest of the fortress is there dead, and it involves killing a whole fortress to kill some elves, which is a plus.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Re: Strangest Shit Ever
« Reply #1426 on: September 05, 2011, 12:32:12 pm »

Maybe there was a sock with his name on it somewhere far away from home?
Also, how many dwarfs you had there? 344? Are you playing on some kind of top secret NASA computer!? :D
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: September 05, 2011, 01:59:10 pm »

Maybe there was a sock with his name on it somewhere far away from home?
Also, how many dwarfs you had there? 344? Are you playing on some kind of top secret NASA computer!? :D

If you are, I want one. Especially if it is portable.  Because that would be awesome.  You know you want to help the spread of high FPS Dwarf Fortress.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: September 05, 2011, 02:00:20 pm »

Perhaps he has some spare computers? Dibs on the first three.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: September 05, 2011, 02:01:48 pm »

Considering DF isn't multithreaded a supercomputer wouldn't run it all that much better than a normal one.
*Hugs*

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: September 05, 2011, 02:05:07 pm »

Well, where the hell did acetech09 get his one from?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: September 05, 2011, 03:08:25 pm »

DoD, actually.

Nah - my work computer is a dual i7 990X, 64gb of RAM, Tesla GPU... one i7 is overclocked to 4.8gHz with a homebuilt refrigerated cooling system I whipped up with a old wine cooler destined for the junkyard. Second i7 - see below. I could push it higher but I'm not sure how they'll take it. All custom.

Some people spend their money working on their cars, some people decorate their houses. I just get more RAM and HD for my ☼Computer☼.

Considering DF isn't multithreaded a supercomputer wouldn't run it all that much better than a normal one.

What I do is actually shut down half of the cores in one of the i7s, and then overclock it extremely. that way I can get a really high core speed without overheating.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:11:08 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96]