Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Games That Were Panned But You Enjoyed?  (Read 7467 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Games That Were Panned But You Enjoyed?
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2014, 05:35:56 am »

I don't really own any games that were largely disliked. Thinking more of games that scored less than 50% and I can't think of any that I own.

Certainly I have games which attitudes changed towards over time. I remember "Sim City 3000" not really being liked upon release but now it's considered to be really quite good, similar with "Neverwinter Nights" which was well received upon release but over time attitudes to it have rather cooled in regards to its story telling.

I enjoyed "Hellgate: London" when it came out. Never played multiplayer but it was fun to romp through and got quite difficult towards the end. Opinions of it went south rather quickly I think due to the trailers of the game putting in mind a different type of gameplay. The same for "Dead Island" which I do still think is a very fun game for zombie smashing.

I did enjoy the "Alien vs Predator" game from 2010. I thought it was a pretty decent game and comparable to "Alien vs Predator 2". Was it as scary? Maybe not, but I really don't find Xenomorphs or Predators scary anymore simply because I've seen them so much.

Even those games weren't really badly received, more disappointing from peoples expectations.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2014, 07:27:47 am »

Civilization: Call to Power never had a very good reputation, but there are a few things I think it did better than any other Civ game to date. (Army-based combat and public works being the main ones I remember.)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2014, 09:10:51 am »

Hellgate:London I enjoyed immensely and it was great fun as a loot based co-op game. It's one of those games that just fell short of greatness, and crashed really hard in the ratings because of it.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:32 am »

There was WotS 4?? I have a hazy memory of hearing about 3rd one, (though I might have mistaken that for Yakuza 3), but damn, I need to crawl out of under my rock.

Yeah, download-only title that I think is exclusive to PS3.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FSMyC0CiDo

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2014, 11:21:56 am »

Ultima 9: Ascension.

It seems that people had expectations because of the earlier games, but since it was my first Ultima game (and one of my first RPGs), I actually enjoyed it. The frequent crashes taught me the importance of saving often, and overall I remember it as an interesting game. I think that it offered quite a lot of freedom, and I remember being able to stack items and use that to reach areas I shouldn't have been able to get to, this sort of thing.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2014, 11:24:19 am »

Gotham City Impostors

It just kind of sounds like it would be awful. A few alarms rang when it was described as a Batman-themed Call of Duty. The reviews I read (the 'professional' ones) said the game was kind of generic and not great. Not offensively bad, but not great. It was free on Games With Gold for the first half of the month, so I thought I would give it a shot. Turns out I really freakin' like the game. The gadgets and flexibility in loadout customization create some unique play styles and solid gameplay, but it's all still good old run n' gun fun n' sun. If I remember correctly it's free to play on steam as well, but not pay to win.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2014, 01:51:21 pm »

Hellgate:London I enjoyed immensely and it was great fun as a loot based co-op game. It's one of those games that just fell short of greatness, and crashed really hard in the ratings because of it.

This. I had massive fun simply playing single player.

As for an as-yet unmentioned game that was pretty well universally panned, I actually kind of liked Bad Boys: Miami Takedown on the Gamecube.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2014, 01:54:12 pm »

Ride to hell retribution. So bad I had fun laughing and how buggy and utterly stupid and shameless it was.

The people at Game Informer did a stream of them playing through this wonderful game. It went from, where I am, 8 PM to 5 AM. I watched the whole thing. They even got the writer of the dialogue to call them- apparently the whole story and everything else was already done before he even got there, and they just needed him to write their specific lines. It was hysterical.

I know one person who's thoughts were basically "If the game was faster and less clunky this game would be a laugh riot"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]