Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: Towns  (Read 92153 times)

supermalparit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Towns devblog
Re: Towns. Developing a citybuilder (DF inspired)
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 10:42:32 pm »

- Enemies (from underground caves or external attacks) can drop random items (with random attributes). You can use that items in your citizens. (like Diablo, ADOM and roguelikes in general)
- Semi-random undocumented events (ex: A message like "you hear a distant rumble" appears). These events have effects in the game but you (or the community) has to investigate to understand it.

Dead sexy! Looking forward to the prior for long term playability, and the latter for community science. I think you have a real winner building up here.

Yes, thank you, but I still have a long way to reach that features.

supermalparit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Towns devblog
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »

I updated the first post.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 05:53:12 pm »

Looks good.

I would like to suggest two things: Desattach your game from Dwarf Fortress name (using adjetives like DF-like, DF-inspired and such) and aim for a game with its own merits. I think you are on your way to fulfill them, by your posts.

Then I'm sure you will have all the support of DF community.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 01:29:07 am »

The "DF-inspired" tagline goes a long way towards keeping people from yelling ripoff. Besides, there's nothing wrong with admitting your inspiration.

Watching this with interest.

Cyahnidde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 01:31:02 am »

Game looks amazing. Good luck on the project, man.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 06:43:54 am »

Compare this community to Minecraft forum's community:

Guy makes DF inspired game. Everyone cheers and roots for him.

Some guy makes Terraria. Everyone on Minecraft forums are slightly irritated and enraged, save for a few people who are willing to try games regardless of inspiration.

No, I'm not bashing you, creator of this game, and I'm rooting for your project. But comparing this forum's reaction to the others, it's safe to say that this forum is mature.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 06:48:50 am »

It's a nice change from what was becoming the forum's usual reaction
*Hugs*

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 07:07:08 am »

Well, there is a difference between a game that advertises itself as being DF but done better, and a game that advertises itself as being inspired by DF. The prior is a blatant lie, the latter is the birth of something with such great potential.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 09:18:22 am »

I downloaded the game's alpha, looks cool, although a bit weird, with 2D sprites walking on a seemingly 3d landscape. But I believe that will be fixed when there are better town folks spites available.
I am also excited because I can see the items, buildings etc. are moddable, if you edit the respective xml files!
(Creating a chair or a table crashes the game atm but I think it's because it lacks sprites for them)

The fact that it is in Java worries me a bit because it's a somewhat slow, I hope the game doesn't get low fps when you have dozens of citizens. EDIT: Hey, apparently you already DO have dozens of citizens! They are spread all over the map. And it seems to run fine.)

I wish you good luck with your game supermalparit! Oh and I hope you make it so I don't have to tap the arrow keys to scroll, just holding them should be enough.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:12:44 am by Xinvoker »

supermalparit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Towns devblog
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 11:54:44 am »

Hi again,

I am also excited because I can see the items, buildings etc. are moddable, if you edit the respective xml files!
(Creating a chair or a table crashes the game atm but I think it's because it lacks sprites for them)

Yes, I known that :)
It's not a crash exactly, if you run the game from a DOS-console you can see a message like "Can't build a [chair]" and then I force the game to end. I'm thinking in the possibility of create items from nothing, I mean, just draw the tile, modify some .ini (or .xml) and that's all, the new item has been created!
At the moment every item needs a Java class.

The fact that it is in Java worries me a bit because it's a somewhat slow, I hope the game doesn't get low fps when you have dozens of citizens. EDIT: Hey, apparently you already DO have dozens of citizens! They are spread all over the map. And it seems to run fine.)
:) we will see what happen when all the citizens have tasks. At the moment the game can handle thousands of citizens without any problem (at least in my machine, Intel i7-920)

I wish you good luck with your game supermalparit! Oh and I hope you make it so I don't have to tap the arrow keys to scroll, just holding them should be enough.
Thanks!
About the arrow keys, I will fix it when I add some "animation" to the game (example: the blink effect when citizens are carrying items).

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 04:07:23 am »

Well, there is a difference between a game that advertises itself as being DF but done better, and a game that advertises itself as being inspired by DF. The prior is a blatant lie, the latter is the birth of something with such great potential.

Indeed, but my point is that it doesn't look very professional to associate your game with another. But as he is doing for challenge and fun, I think it is perfectly fine.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 07:59:06 am »

whatever I do it either crashed the game or doesn't do anything at all.
Is this because I have Vista?

supermalparit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Towns devblog
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 05:41:55 pm »

whatever I do it either crashed the game or doesn't do anything at all.
Is this because I have Vista?

Hi, I supose that you don't have the Java Runtime Environtment (JRE), you can download it from java.com or sun.com. To confirm this you can open a system console (Start/run and type 'cmd'), move to the game folder (with the 'cd' command) and launch the game typing 'towns.cmd'. If the game crashes you can see the log there.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 05:57:40 pm »

Neat set of ideas you have for this. I look forward to seeing how the game progresses.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

supermalparit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Towns devblog
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 11:57:20 am »

Hi again,

first post updated (UPDATE 2).

To not use the Dwarf Fortress forums as my personal blog I'll create a blog at blogspot.com tonight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37