Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]

Author Topic: Towns  (Read 92170 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towns
« Reply #540 on: May 09, 2014, 04:55:02 pm »

Sadly that is the result of immature people who seem to think the world owes them...I will personally never understand the mindset...I suppose stupidity and not understanding what you are paying money for (or lack there of) play a big part of it.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 09, 2014, 05:24:48 pm »

Sadly that is the result of immature people who seem to think the world owes them...I will personally never understand the mindset...I suppose stupidity and not understanding what you are paying money for (or lack there of) play a big part of it.

Its more of an ignorance thing. They don't have the ability to see through bullshit and realize a given kickstarter is well beyond the means of its creators.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 09, 2014, 05:56:32 pm »

Well, i and many others thought that OUYA was BS and while it did ultimately fail to be anything meaningful, it did succeed in delivering the product it advertised. so sometimes kickstarters can also surprise you while others that you are sure to succeed don't.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 09, 2014, 06:27:38 pm »

Well, i and many others thought that OUYA was BS and while it did ultimately fail to be anything meaningful, it did succeed in delivering the product it advertised. so sometimes kickstarters can also surprise you while others that you are sure to succeed don't.

"As sold on TV" also deliver products. Not good products, mind you. Completely wasteful pieces of garbage would be accurate. Nobody loses their pension over such abject failures but that's only because they don't stick around long enough to provide pensions. But every single consumer loses their money invested in an overpriced paperweight. Job well done? For the shyster, yes.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 09, 2014, 06:33:45 pm »

The Ouya was actually ambitious though. Not some crappy remake of some retro RPG or something. There's a difference between hardware platforms and games. Mainly the difficulty of penetrating the market but other things, too.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 09, 2014, 06:48:10 pm »

The Ouya was actually ambitious though. Not some crappy remake of some retro RPG or something. There's a difference between hardware platforms and games. Mainly the difficulty of penetrating the market but other things, too.
It was bound to fail cause they were at the border when the Tegra 4 was about to come out but did not want to wait any longer. I also said it many times that Android is not a good platform for high end games at all.

nyulzsiraf

• Bay Watcher
  • Panic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 10, 2014, 02:15:41 am »

hmm so if i see it well, they won't finish their first game, but they are planning to make twons 2... :o :o :o

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 18, 2014, 04:45:21 pm »

Ok, anyone know is this game dead or not.... I mean I read the game is dead for good, but just now i got a update. And they implemented terraforming, and at last normal tutorials (little late if you ask me).

So what the hack is happening, is this a last patch, or there will be more?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 18, 2014, 05:33:51 pm »

The game has its own forums. This is the wrong place to ask any questions about current development.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 18, 2014, 05:53:25 pm »

But, asking people here if they know anything about it is just how we roll.

(I am wondering why there is an update out of the blue...)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 18, 2014, 05:58:15 pm »

The two devs have gone back to doing some development work on it, yeah. I haven't been keeping up with it that closely so I don't know much more than that.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 18, 2014, 06:21:06 pm »

The two devs have gone back to doing some development work on it, yeah. I haven't been keeping up with it that closely so I don't know much more than that.
The same two devs that stopped working on it and caused a hubbub?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 18, 2014, 06:24:02 pm »

I thought it was the one dev causing a hubbub by paying the other dev who then realized it wasn't worth the money because it was based on future sales even though the original dev had already sold a bunch on the promise of future developments?

But either way, if anyone is more in-tune with the Towns forums and can translate for us here, that'd be great.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 18, 2014, 06:43:20 pm »

The same two devs that stopped working on it and caused a hubbub?

The same.

I thought it was the one dev causing a hubbub by paying the other dev who then realized it wasn't worth the money because it was based on future sales even though the original dev had already sold a bunch on the promise of future developments?

But either way, if anyone is more in-tune with the Towns forums and can translate for us here, that'd be great.

I lurk there sometimes when the drama's minimal. From what I gather just by reading the mod posts:

Xavi/Supermalparit and Burningpet got burned out on doing the game and didn't make an update for some amount of time. The forums apparently got toxic, but I only caught snippets of that and it wasn't pretty. Eventually the decision was made to call the game "finished," which led to a pretty hefty outcry from the fanbase. Then the decision was made to pass off the development to another coder, Minecraft-style.

The new coder was met with general approval and enthusiasm. Two months later he stepped down. Apparently his contract stipulated his pay on a percentage of future sales, with the intention that his work would be rewarded financially and he was motivated to do great work and fix the game up. The month after he was hired, sales took a steep decline for whatever reason. The month after that, new dev took a look at the potential earnings he'd have to live on until he had time to learn the code and implement fixes, new stuff. It wouldn't work out, so he stepped down.

Then Xavi had some internal debate about whether to make the game open-source or not, eventually settling on trying to hire another coder, which didn't pan out. The game was put up for sale, and an unnamed company expressed interest, then backed off because of the potential investment risk.

At that point Xavi and Burningpet decided to work on Towns again, to do some cleanup of the game and add some stuff like tutorials and a campaign. The cleanup pass is out, and I believe there is supposed to be a campaign/content patch out at some point in the future.

That's the plain facts as I understand them, distilled from some pretty large threads over there. The one dealing with the most recent push starts here if anyone wants more direct information and has time to sift through.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 19, 2014, 04:47:12 am »

Thanks, so i guess it means there will be one more patch at least
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]