http://www.townsgame.com/

Fan Wiki
http://www.townswiki.com/

Lastest official video
Towns v11 preview 1/2
Towns v11 preview 2/2

ORIGINAL POST (12th june 2011)
Hello everybody,

first of all i apologize for my english. I hope I can make myself understood.

I'm developing a citybuilder game just for fun and as a personal challenge. It has some similarities with DF (hope you don't be angry by this) but that will change in the future. At the moment I haven't very clear the future of game, I mean that I haven't clear the features (remember, "just for fun and as a personal challenge") but I think that the game has potential.

The game it's in an isometric view and it's handled basically by mouse (with some keyboard shortcuts), if you want you can see it in Youtube (currently 3 videos):
Overview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrWq_NLZiLI
Testing fluids - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyoNfw5e1Zs
Testing stockpiles & buildings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmMDeOHhkHc

Hope you like it and I'll appreciate the comments.

att. Supermalparit

UPDATE 1 (17th june 2011)
Today I started my holidays, i'll be out for 10 days so I decided to upload the current game version (0.000...).  I uploaded it to megaupload, link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3XH0O0R7.
I'll make a .txt with instructions in a near future, but at the moment i uploaded just as it is.
In the "data" folder you can play with tilesets / menus / config in general (there are 2 .ini files in the main folder too).
The game needs the Java JRE1.6 to run (for sure you have installed yet). And the file to execute it its 'towns.cmd'.

There are a few changes since last video. Most of them are internal changes. The main "external" change it's that you can build items in workshops (only stair in the carpenter's WS), it allows you to dig/mine put a stair and then go down further levels.

If you save the game, it drops a world1.twn in the "save" folder. Since then, if you start a new game it loads that file directly. If you want to start a new fresh game you have to delete that file.

Again sorry for my english and the mix of concepts I throw up here :)

UPDATE 2 (27th june 2011)
Hi again, back from holidays I uploaded a new video.
Crossing the river - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igbd-rKFBo0

About the developing status, the game now has a pretty good core engine so, the next updates will concern, above all, the gameplay.

I'll post the development status of game in my new blog:
http://supermalparit.blogspot.com/

Regards.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:38:20 pm by supermalparit »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Towns. Developing a citybuilder (DF inspired)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:48:09 am »

Ah, nice to see the creator show up here - there was already a thread after someone saw your youtube videos, but this is better.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:51:06 am »

Looks good, man.

It may be considered dickish to say this or something, but you should ask Deon if he's got anything else going on and if he'd be willing to sprite your game for you. Best sprite artist I've ever seen.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:08:23 am »

Has it's own name? Isn't trying to clone DF? Well then I approve.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:55:16 am »

Heh, I commented on this game. I can for sure contribute some sprites, and I think the original "OMG DF CLONE" was caused by the usage of DF sprites. I'm interested to see where it goes.

We already have Goblin Camp which started like a small project (and everyone was raging about it), and now it's a cool game.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 08:41:47 am »

Taking inspiration out of DF can only be a good thing ;) Why would we blame you for that? :P

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 09:07:15 am »

Taking inspiration out of DF can only be a good thing ;) Why would we blame you for that? :P

Roughly, there've been two "DF inspired" games so far. One was trying to rip off Toady's coding and he got banned and bitched and whined about it. The other did a constant passive aggressive attack on these forums, saying stuff like, "Well, DF has a terrible interface, but in MY game in the future the interface will be PERFECT." No one took very kindly to either of them.

So the community's got a bad reputation for hating "DF clones".

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:00:33 am »

Roughly, there've been two "DF inspired" games so far. One was trying to rip off Toady's coding and he got banned and bitched and whined about it. The other did a constant passive aggressive attack on these forums, saying stuff like, "Well, DF has a terrible interface, but in MY game in the future the interface will be PERFECT." No one took very kindly to either of them.

I assume you arent familiar with "Dwarfs" and its threads which seemed to pop up every week regardless of DF and Dwarfs not being related in any way. It was quite jarring to see "ZOMG this game is exactly like DF!" threads constantly.

On topic however, I am very interested in where you are gonna take the game. The isometric view and digging brought back memories of Dungeon Keeper, so maybe that would be a nice direction to go in?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:41:35 am »

The second one was attacked first considering dwarf fortress people went over to his forums and actively trolled him. So it's not like the passive aggressive behavior was unjustified.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 12:15:35 pm »

The second one was attacked first considering dwarf fortress people went over to his forums and actively trolled him. So it's not like the passive aggressive behavior was unjustified.

From fans, perhaps. However, if we're talking about the originator of the project (I don't actually know of this person, so I'm just making an assumption here - sorry if it's wrong) then any sort of behaviour like that is extremely unprofessional, regardless of 'who trolled who first'.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 12:41:40 pm »

This seems very interesting, but i wonder in which direction do you think of taking this in?
Right now it looks pretty much like stonesense in which you can control stuff with the mouse.Do you plan on focusing on combat more, or perhaps the building aspect?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 01:00:25 pm »

Except he did it before anyone had heard on the project on YouTube vids that he'd uploaded etc. He seems to have editted them out by now, though.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 06:07:11 pm »

What language are you writing this in? It looks pretty cool so far, and with Deon tiles it'll look beautiful.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

supermalparit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Towns devblog
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 10:18:00 pm »

Hi again,

thanks for all the comments. As I said before the direction of game it's not clear but I have a few features in mind:
- Items will "appear" (ready to build) when you reach some prerequisites (example: when you have N units of wood and the building X the item "wood chair" appears in the list) (like Minecraft)
- Enemies (from underground caves or external attacks) can drop random items (with random attributes). You can use that items in your citizens. (like Diablo, ADOM and roguelikes in general)
- Semi-random undocumented events (ex: A message like "you hear a distant rumble" appears). These events have effects in the game but you (or the community) has to investigate to understand it.
- Of course, the "typical" features of a city-builder / management game.

I think that the combination of these "ideas" can make the game pretty fun and challenging.

The isometric view and digging brought back memories of Dungeon Keeper, so maybe that would be a nice direction to go in?
Dungeon Keeper it's a good game, but I think that Dwarf Fortress has the same features and a lot more. Towns (current game name) it's inspired in DF, so .... yes, the game will be similar to DK too  :P

What language are you writing this in?
The game it's being developed in Java + OpenGL (LWJGL) (like Minecraft  :-[)

but you should ask Deon if he's got anything else going on and if he'd be willing to sprite your game for you. Best sprite artist I've ever seen.
(Deon) I can for sure contribute some sprites
and with Deon tiles it'll look beautiful.
Well, at the moment I have a person who will draw the tiles. But, if something fails, Deon will be the first person to know it.

Do you plan on focusing on combat more, or perhaps the building aspect?
I would like that the player can opt for one side or another. But maybe I'm aiming too high. At the moment I'll be happy if the game has a little of each side.

Thanks for reading.

att. Supermalparit
(Yes, I know that my english sucks. I can assure you that I'm not a retard  8))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 10:23:47 pm »

- Enemies (from underground caves or external attacks) can drop random items (with random attributes). You can use that items in your citizens. (like Diablo, ADOM and roguelikes in general)
- Semi-random undocumented events (ex: A message like "you hear a distant rumble" appears). These events have effects in the game but you (or the community) has to investigate to understand it.

Dead sexy! Looking forward to the prior for long term playability, and the latter for community science. I think you have a real winner building up here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37