Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low FPS in flash games and ONLY there!  (Read 6737 times)

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Low FPS in flash games and ONLY there!
« on: June 12, 2011, 06:25:39 am »

Hey guys if anyone can give me some advice on this matter I'd be very thankful!
I get very low FPS on flash games (as in 5-10 range), while "full" games like Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2, SC2 etc run just fine. I should also note that I don't have a problem with Youtube and similar video streaming services that use flash, it appears to happen with games or other heavy flash apps.

I usually use Chrome , but it happens on every browser, and even when I download the .swf file and run it locally.

Specifications:
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Q6600 processor
nVIDIA 9600GT graphics card

Things I've tried:

-updating my graphics card's drivers
-uninstalling and re-installing the latest stable version of flash (10.3 )
-installing the latest beta version of flash ( 11, aka Incubator)
-installing the experimental 64bit version of flash (aka Square)
-turning off and on the "hardware acceleration" option of flash

None of these things have helped. I have suspected it may be because my CPU cores reach high temperatures (60 Celsius) but that also happens with "normal" games and I don't have a problem there. What could be my problem?

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Low FPS in flash games and ONLY there!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 06:32:33 am »

Flash games are notoriously poorly coded and unoptimised. I wouldn't worry about it. It's their fault, not your's.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:41:49 pm »

What screen res are you running at?
Flash is a relic from a decade ago, because it is vector based it has to calculate and draw each pixel of the vector every frame. At a resolution higher than ~1024 the calculations are so many it would take a super computer to render without choking.

Plus most games are designed by art students who spend most of there time putting as much shiny shit in as possible

Tl/dr - lower your screen res and drop the flash quality to medium or low

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:49:22 pm »

What screen res are you running at?
Flash is a relic from a decade ago, because it is vector based it has to calculate and draw each pixel of the vector every frame. At a resolution higher than ~1024 the calculations are so many it would take a super computer to render without choking.

Plus most games are designed by art students who spend most of there time putting as much shiny shit in as possible

Tl/dr - lower your screen res and drop the flash quality to medium or low

Thanks for the response! I actually run 1680*1050, which is the max my card can support. Although it pains me to use any lower than 1440*900, I will try to lower it. I really hadn't thought it mattered.