Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing as each one of the races in a given civilization  (Read 886 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing as each one of the races in a given civilization
« on: June 12, 2011, 08:19:49 am »

For quite some time now the civilizations can be multi-racial - the most common example would be the townie elves. The suggestion is quite simple: to allow the player to play with any (intelligent) race the civilization is composed of.

Then we could play with a townie elf, who had acess to human culture and technology, for example.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as each one of the races in a given civilization
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:48:35 am »

You would need those races to have a certain population within that civilisation as well as have a certain level of intelligence and civilisation concepts in the case of non-melting pot societies.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:58:51 am by Neonivek »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:02:15 am »

i still like the idea of being able to be an elven crossbowman, or a dwarf who starts with a scimitar. maybe even a human, or goblin with steel armor.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 09:28:38 am »

I think the plan is that you'll be able to take over a character from worldgen. So it sounds like this will become possible eventually.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:52:14 am »

Planned. One talk or another talked about this. Fortresses would have multi-cultural migrants coming in.

But now that this idea has been resurrected, I would like to see a [NO_EMIGRANT] and a [NO_IMMIGRANT] tag or something that prevents the entity from taking in foreign immigrants or allow people to emigrant to another country. Corrosion could be seriously messed up if a human goes to a zombie civ or a zombie goes to a human civ.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:54:08 am »

Well ethics and natural hatred can deal with that. As well the inability to survive in that civ should also handle it on its own.

If a civilisation of intelligent zombies for some reason turned out not to be jerks... what is reall stopping them?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »

that will never happen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 03:15:54 pm »

TooBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 03:38:46 pm »

Dwarves shouldn't have to give up a part of their cultural identity to wield scimitars. As if scimitars are an integral part of an entitie's culture anyways.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 05:04:41 am »

Well ethics and natural hatred can deal with that. As well the inability to survive in that civ should also handle it on its own.

Currently, no they can't. Assuming they could, and assuming they were airtight. I would support this idea.

If a civilisation of intelligent zombies for some reason turned out not to be jerks... what is reall stopping them?

Corrosion is a post-apocalyptic rebuilding phase and zombies are brainless predators. Basically I've never seen a full on zombie join a human in a serious zombie movie, so I would rather not do it. Also because the creator of the mod doesn't want to.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!