Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]  (Read 30182 times)

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile

...What is "herring mead?"

As in, I have an idea, but I desperately want it to be wrong.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not "herring mead" but "herring, mead". The "," is just shown differently due the graphical back I'm using.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It took the miners over two months to finish storage areas for food and other supplies they had brought with them, and after that it took another month to actually haul everything inside. In total it took three months since finishing the farm for everything to be safely inside.

The storage rooms were crude, two huge rooms, one where all the food supplies were stored, and second room where went everything else. Especially the general storage room was littered by the rocks and ores left by the miners, but nobody seemed to mind.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The dogs had also been chained in the entrance to prevent anything unwanted to enter the fortress. Of course those two dogs could not prevent any kind of assault, but at least wildlife should stay far enough from the entrance now.

Now that the storage area was finished Keywalls ordered the miners to start working on with a room where first workshops could be place. Well, the very first workshop had already been built as the ImBocaire had demanded a still to be built next to farm.

While working with the workshop room bellow the storage area the miners found out that the area was rich of gems and ores. Earlier they had discovered galena and tetrahedrite veins, now they found out gold and hematite. Keywalls was especially exited about the hematite, as that meant there would be metal industries producing weapons and armors quite soon.

The month of Galena had already begun, and the miners were still working with the workshop area, when three unknown dwarves approached the entrance from east. Keywalls took her battle axe and went to meet them.

"Halt! Who are you and what are you doing here?"

One of the dwarves, long and skinny guy, raised his hands to show that he was unarmed.

"We were sent from mountain home to serve our sentence here."

"Where are your guards? Why are you here alone?"

"Our guards were killed by group of goblins. There were twenty of us prisoners, but only us three survived. We thought that we have best chances here, as we don't know hot survive in wild."

"Right. Well, welcome to your grave. We are actually in need of capable workers down here, so you will fit to the group just fine. Now I want each of you to come with me so I can fill some papers. I need your names, crimes and civilian jobs before being arrested. Oh, and the only rule down here is that there is no rules except what I make up. Follow my orders and you may survive few years."

The sun was already setting when Keywalls had finished her interviews. One of the dwarves was clothier, though as there was no need to such profession for a moment Keywalls made him as the official fisher of the fortress. The wax worker became the butcher and the peasant was given the profession of fish cleaner. Now that they had butcher Keywalls also ordered the camel and yak cow to be butchered as she wanted some diversity on her daily meals.

It took most of the summer from miners but finally the first industrial workshops were ready. Carpentry, masonry crafting workshop and mechanic workshop had been built along with the butchery, tannery and fishery. It was time for Keywalls to but her prisoners in real work now.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Yoink

Okay, you got yourself a guard.

Spoiler: Yegg (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Oh wow, he likes warhammers and the colour crimson! I like this guy!
He's a bit dumb, but that's kinda the point. Thanks! :D
Now we just need some more people to ask for dwarves, so, BUMP.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It had been over a month since the three prisoners appeared at the gates of Evercage when another group of dwarves was spotted heading towards the entrance. Keywalls went outside to greet them, and for her surprise she noticed that of the five dwarves two were guards and two were wearing the robes of Holy Church of Armok. The fifth dwarf she didn't recognize, but most probably the lad was criminal.

"Two guards and two priests and only one criminal? Care to explain why is that?"

One of the guards, who introduce himself as Yegg, took the responsibility of answering the questions.

"Two months we have been travelling here, we were attacked by goblins, and this is how you greet us?"

"Wait, you were attacked by goblins? About month ago?"

"Yeah, the frigging goblins attacked us, and we five are the only ones left!"

"No, there were at least three other survivors. Three criminals appeared here about month ago and they claimed they were the only ones who escaped the assault."

Yegg face was turning red.

"Those three, we hoped they would be dead by now. They left us, fled when we needed help. I will see them punished, that's what I'm going to do. But first I need bed, and I need my beauty sleep. And proper food, there travel rations are without taste. And beer, I need beer."

Keywalls stared at him, unable to comprehend how that guard was able to just come here and begin whining and making demands on her. On her, who had been leading this work camp almost six months now. She chuckled. This dwarf here, called Yegg, was demanding something she was unable to provide. It would be interesting to see how much the lad would be whining when he realizes that the fortress was more or less storage and working area at this point.

"Alright then, I see what I can do. What about this criminal, is he good at anything?"

Yegg shrugged his shoulder and made a quick glance over his shoulder towards the prisoner.

"Well, he served as our cook, though his food tasted terrible. He can also farm, or at least so he claims, I see no reason to believe him. In my opinion the whole idea of fortress supported by the works of criminals is ridiculous. These filthy buggers ain't capable of doing anything worthwhile, so why even bother trying? We are wasting our time here, that's how I think."

"So, why did you even volunteer to come here?"

"Me? They forced me to join this sorry experiment. They said I whine and complain too much. Me? Never! They are the ones who are complaining all the time, I'm just stating the facts!"

Keywalls formed a image in her head in which Yegg was standing file, complaining to his superiors how the equipment was too heavy or how it was too hot to be standing there. This time she laughed a bit, which made Yegg look at her suspiciously.

"Fine, follow me then. Lets see if we can find a bunk for all of you and something to eat. And of course some work for this new chef of ours."

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile

"Hey, Keywalls, I need to speak with ya, pretty urgent."

Oh god, what he does want now?

"Niney, first, you do not speak by my name, and second, I-"

"Lad, I guess you should start to put traps around. I know, it's too earlier to worry about, but who knows if the goblins followed those 'survivors'."

Something said that he was right.
:3

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"No no no, this ain't right! Do you actually believe I would accept quarters like this?"

Keywalls stared Yegg in confusion. What the hell did he mean by that?

"Right, would you sleep with the criminals then? In this schedule this is the best the prisoners were able to do, at least you have personal room."

Yegg crossed his arms. He was leaning on the wall of the bedroom Keywalls had assigned for him.

"No, I prefer personal room. But where are the cabinets? Armor stands and weapon racks? coffers? And most importantly, why the hell does this room have only one bed?"

"Only one bed? For Armok's sake, how many beds do you think you need?"

"One for me and one for my wife."

Keywalls froze. She was staring at him now, her mouth wide open. She was unable to speak, so shocked she was. A wife? Who was it and why didn't he inform her about this before?

"You never spoke about wife..."

"Excuses. I'm sure I did. My wife is the female priest who came with us."

"So that's why there were priests in your party..."

"Don't start with that! Now, where is our second bed?"

"No second bed is coming, we have short of supplies and we have more important things to do. For now you can and will share your bed with your wife, unless there is something else you want to tell me? If not, this discussion is over!"

Yegg left the room, whining about how this wouldn't do at all. Keywalls shook her head in disbelief. She was surrounded by criminals, lunatics and whining lads. Why in earth did she accept this job?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The autumn was nearing the end when the first caravan from mountain home arrived. With the caravan also came the liaison Paintedpure. As Keywalls was the one leading the fortress her responsibilities also included trading and meeting diplomats.

Unfortunately Keywalls had no experience in trading, so she didn't have a clue of how valuable everything was. This led to the situation where she chose few goods they would need, such as cages, barrels, cloth, leather and alcohol, and asked what portion of the crafts the merchants wanted in return. Of course the merchants demanded every piece of crafts as payment, and Keywalls had a suspicion that they were cheating her, but without any proof she couldn't do anything.

After the trading negotiations had ended she went and met the liaison. Before Keywalls was able to open her mouth the liaison begun talking.

"Greetings guard! Could you please direct me to the leader of this fortress? I'm in a hurry and have lots of things to discuss, so I would appreciate if you tell me now where I can find the one I'm looking for."

Keywalls studied the lass standing in front of her. The lass was fattest dwarf she had ever seen, it was wonder that pack animals were able to carry her.

"Your looking at her right now. I'm the leader of this fortress, so I'm the one you are looking for."

"You? A guard? How is it possible? What happened all the personnel we sent with the second group?"

Keywalls shrugged. "Don't know, though what I heard is that they are dead. The group was attacked by goblins and only handful of dwarves survived. Only four prisoners, two guards and two priests has arrived here by this point and I suspect that that's all."

"That's impossible! I will not deal with lowly guards here! I will return next year and I want to meet real personnel then, not some filthy guards who don't know how to run business!"

Keywalls shrugged again and then crossed her arms.

"Fine to me. Just don't expect to find any better managers here if none is sent nor reach this place. As long as there is no trained personnel down here I'm running this operation. I believe you know your way out so I don't need to bother myself guiding you. We shall see next year!"

After saying that Keywalls left shocked liaison. Few moments later several dwarves saw enraged fat lady march out from the fortress and disappearing to the horizon.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile

-guzzling beer, wipes mouth and sets key down-

Now that, was amusing.

-ill volentear for broker duty if you like, if no one else comes along-
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile

id like an male guard named: ahra, make him do chores if you want
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey i was wondering, could i have a dwarf, personel, male

Sent as a replacement for the personel sent the first year that never made it. Reason for coming was it looks good to be one of the ones running a prison, and also to make a nice quite sum of money that no one needs to know about. He is a very straight laced rule oriented person. He doesn't hate the prisoners as he would actually have to consider them sentient beings to hate them. Rather he thinks of the prisoners as horrid scum put there to be worked to death as fast as possible to create the most wealth for the mountain homes. He likes the guards as he understands that the guards are his only means of not being murdered.

So ya to the prisoners he would be a heartless bastard working them to death and providing as little as possible for their existence, while saving up wealth for himself. oh and name would be Blackhammer......THX

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Hey, Niney! Come here in double time!"

Niney turned around and begun running towards Keywalls. He was panting when he reached her.

"Niney, I was considering what you said to me earlier. I want you to build a wall around the entrance, after which you will build several traps there."

"Wall? Can't I get some help?"

Keywalls was studying the dwarf standing in front of her.

"If you think you can't manage such a small task by yourself then I think you can with the help of Karakzon. Just tell him that I ordered him to help you out."

"Fine, we shall do it. Do you have anything specific in mind?"

"Yes, in fact I do. The wall must be two storeys high, and the second storey should have small ledge where archers can stand and shoot everything bellow. Of course the wall in that storey must be fortificated."

"Yes ma'am!"

"Oh, and when you go, call the crafter here, I want to discuss some things with her."

Few moments later the crafter emerged from the fortress.

"There you are! I want you to construct two bone crossbows and lots of bolts! From bone, of course."

"But ma'am, what about the crafts? And bone bolts have hardly any effect!"

"I really don't care about your opinions. But while we do not have any working forges here we must go with bone."

"But what about the crafts for trading?"

"You know, you are really starting to piss me out. I gave you an order to produce two bone crossbows and loads of bolts, if you can't follow the order I will find someone else to do that. And in that case YOU will become the material of the bolts! Did I make myself understood?"

"Yes ma'am!"

"Good! Now go before I change my mind about letting you live!"

The scared prisoner ran off to fulfill the order Keywalls had just gave her. The project took the whole winter and few weeks from the spring but finally the wall was ready.

Keywalls was happy, though the choice of material was questionable. Microcline wall was too colorful and so shined from the rest of the mountain like moderate beacon of light, which could attract unwanted attention. Niney had explained that microcline was the best choice, though Keywalls was still unable to understand why. Well, at least they had walls and traps covering the entrance.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Ahra

Here you go, a male guard:

Spoiler: ahra (click to show/hide)

@Stronghammer

I will dwarf you as soon as I get any noble caste dwarves

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like a dwarf please. Don't really care if it's a guard or a prisoner. But the reason he was sent to Evercage is that he is a bit on the sadistic side. Playing knife roulette and deliberately screwing up and stabbing the other dwarf's hand kind of way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16