Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]  (Read 30184 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2011, 06:13:42 am »

After the letter to the king was ready and the child sent on her way Kilik gave the order to begin the flooding. And so the door separating the fortress from magma was removed and slowly the hot, red liquid begun to pouring inside the fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also the section of the wall that separated the magma from the rest of the front yard was teared down and the pumps were started one last time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Slowly the magma filled the fortress, first the lower sections but eventually the upper sections as well. To this day there is no known survivors from the death-trap that was once called Evercage, except the one lucky child who was sent to the mountain home with the letter to king.

Now then, what happened to the child? The king felt pity towards the poor child, just above four years old, and took her as his own child. One day, after several dozens of years, this child became the Queen of The Faithful Furnaces. She was respected among her subjects, but every night through rest of her life she was haunted by the dreams and visions of Evercage and the chaos there was during the last months before she fled the fortress. She was also heard to be babbling something about the ghost of his father who happened to be nobody else but the count Stronghammer, the great ruler of the Evercage.

One day, 1st of Hematite, year 157, the Queen Urist Stronghammer killed herself. The last words she gave were the words of hope of meeting her father once again. That day was also the day when it had been exactly fifty years since the fall of Evercage by the order of mayor Kilik Tradedbanners and by the hands of Lecktor Seabanner, who was the one removing the door.

Even to this day the memory of Evercage lives on, with the help of statue garden established by the Queen herself. The statue garden contained a statue of each and every dwarf who lived in Evercage and died in there. And even to this day the rumors of treasures possibly still remaining somewhere in the depths of Evercage as well as the rumors of few lonely dwarves living inside the flooded fortress in some remote corner which survived from the burial, trapped and disconnected from the rest of the world, lives on. Several attempts to reach the inner sanctums of the fortress which were believed to still exists were done, but there just was no way to get past the great sea of magma which was formed inside the halls of Evercage.

And so ends the sad tale of Evercage, the dwarven prison fortress. May the dead rest in peace!
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2011, 07:34:44 am »

NOOOOOOOOOO the might of Stronghammer has fallen, anyways great story man i enjoyed reading the ups downs and eventual fall of the fort. Thx again and remeber losing is fun.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2011, 07:56:32 am »

Heh, no problems, good to hear you enjoyed it.  :D

It feels a bit sad to end the fortress but with only fifty living dwarves, of which only three or so not tantruming/insane I just decided to end the tale the dwarven way.

Now... time to start another fortress...  ;D

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2011, 10:17:00 am »

if you go community please count me in, if not good luck

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2011, 10:32:07 am »

Sure it will be community, just making all the preparations. The topic should be posted in hour or so...  ;D

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2011, 11:43:27 pm »

dammit why does this always happen to me? :'(

The first day I'm in charge, ready to break out so cruel and unjust laws and create a glorious state, the bloody goblins attack!
Maybe I shouldn't have taunted them :-[

Oh well loosing is fun  :D
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2011, 12:52:52 am »

An excellent read. Sad to see it end though. Oh well, there's always next time!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2011, 02:01:21 am »

Excellent story, I'm glad this prison died with dignity. 

Is this in the Hall of Legends?  Because it really needs to be. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2011, 02:23:57 am »

Thanks to everybody for comments! Nice to hear that people enjoyed this!

And last time I checked this wasn't.

And finally, even though the tale is over, there will be one update coming out with pictures of submerged Evercage. That WILL take some time as when I released magma the FPS dropped to whooping 2 FPS, so flooding the fortress takes some time. I will probably do that during the weekend when I can put my desktop to work with flooding while I do other things...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2011, 04:30:37 am »

Well, ok, I nominated it in the Hall of Legends.

All those who love Kipi and all the magnificent forts, vote! 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 28, 2011, 05:57:20 am »

Well, ok, I nominated it in the Hall of Legends.

All those who love Kipi and all the magnificent forts, vote!

:o *blushes*

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]