Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.  (Read 11551 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:32:30 am »

This is not going to be a clean read guys. :o
-------------------------------------------

NOW POSSIBLE IF COMBINED WITH THIS SUGGESTION

So the basic idea is about waste and so forth. I have drawn all of the ideas in this mockup that consists of several 9x9 images:

The basic idea is that all animals would need to produce waste. For instance the top row shows a dwarven bathroom.
As you can seem the first slide in the first row shows a floor with enclosed rooms that contain grates. also, two of the rooms are occupied by dwarves. I made the rooms contain grates because I didn't thing there should be a toilet item...yet at least. The next image shows the level bellow the dwarves. When a dwarf would go to the bathroom, he would drop an item known as...Lets just call it XXXX. If more than one XXXX is ever present in a tile, then the XXXX is gone and 1 unit of waste appears. Yes, the waste is going to have to be a liquid. The third and fourth image shows how the waste would collect in a large container that would fill up over time and can be emptied via floodgates.

The waste would be unique with that fact that if 3/4/5/6/7 units of waste are present in a tile, and have not moved for a while, then they would turn into a tile of waste compost. The first image in the second row shows how waste can be filled up from a single XXXX to a full 7 units of liquid waste. Also, the Solid waste would have different densities ranging from 1-5. a dwarf can use any ammount of waste as a ramp.

The third and fourth images in the second row show how a dwarf, if unable to find a bathroom, will try to do his business in a place where nobody can see.

In case you didn't get it, the green dot is a XXXX.

Also, as the second image in the second row shows, liquid waste will turn into miasma and XXXX's once it touches water. therefor waste can be disposed of.

Solid waste compost can be used as fertilizer for crops, as shown in the first image in the 3'd row.

If liquid waste is outside(in the sun) then a unit of liquid waste will only move around if any nearby tile has an ammount of waste that is atleast two units less. Therefor, liquid waste in the surface will not travel far if dumped and will, after turning into compost, form neat piles if the stuff, as shown in the second image in the third row.

Also, remember that any animal will/can produce waste. As the the third image in the third row shows, a pack of horses in a pasture are leaving a bunch of XXXX's behind them.

The fourth image in the third row shows how a stable dwarf(a new profession) is using a wheel barrel to pile waste compost in the appropriate stockpile.

The first image in the fourth row shows how there can be many types of composts. The first is a dark green type that is made from XXXX's(Any XXXX that is left out can be placed in the stockpile to create not liquid waste but this compost), rotten food and withered plants. The second is solid waste compost witch can be made from liquid waste and added chaff(this would have to be ingame though) to create it. The chaff will simply make it bigger since there is no other reason for it. The third could be cmade from anything dead and the fourth can be made from any milk, alcohol, ichor, blood and vomit. The idea is that there could be some plants that require compost to grow.

The second image in the fourth row just shows how wheat should produce chaff that can be turned into bales. I dont know why I added that there.

The third image shows how, if a dwarf falls into compost, that is not full(5) then he will get stuck and require somebody to help him out and not take any damage from the fall. I added that because this once happened to me(I live in a farm)

And the last image shows...*DRUMROLL*...The liquid waste powered goblin encasement room.

Thoughts contributions appraisal and sritisism welcome! Trolls are not! For all trols, theres the building destroyer trap ->  I&&&0
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:19:31 pm by antymattar »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:34 am »

I'm pretty sure Toady said he's not going to add turd and piss, but this is still a good idea.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:35:22 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:40:49 am »

oh, hello again.
I'm pretty sure Toady said he's not going to add turd and piss, but this is still a good idea.
no he didn't.

regarding the main suggestion, what would happen if water and liquid waste came into contact? if i understand it correctly, that is the main hurdle for toady to add any other liquids besides the ones we have currently aside from the obvious programming hurdles

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:47:58 am »

oh, hello again.
no he didn't.

regarding the main suggestion, what would happen if water and liquid waste came into contact? if i understand it correctly, that is the main hurdle for toady to add any other liquids besides the ones we have currently aside from the obvious programming hurdles
If water and liquid waste came into contact, then the liquid waste would evaporate one water and one liquid(not just one but it would happen like this slowly over time) waste and create a crapload of miasma.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 11:52:26 am »

that...makes absolutelly no sense :\
was it a joke? or am i missing something? seriously, i can't tell

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 11:59:42 am »

Hmm, that could get really complicated with laminar flows being mixed by localised turbulence. Or more turbulence if liquids flow from opposite directions. It would be a shame not to include waste management eventually though as it seems like one of the key complications of living underground. Could always do it like the palace of Versaille and just let your dwarfs crap in the corridors, leaving it for the servants to clean up.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 12:12:09 pm »

One of the first things that kept bugging me when I played this game is where the dwarves did their business.
Realism seems to be DFs main focus (along with blatant impossibility) so this sounds pretty plausible as a future part of gameplay.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:25:55 pm »

I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 12:46:59 pm »

ok, how about having multi flows? Like three water and 4 waste in a tile The waste would slowly turn into water but that would still create miasma.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 02:07:17 pm »

The waste would slowly turn into water but that would still create miasma.

I don't like this idea of waste turning into water. It has no bearing on reality at all. It should have to be washed off the map or something IMO. Or it could be used for farming, after being composted of course. Even if it is used to grow crops though there should be build up over time of depleted soil. It is normal for many layers of soil to build up on farmland over time. To live underground waste should eventually have to be taken out to the surface or dumped in the magma sea or something. Or you could have a temporary solution by letting your sewage out into the caverns. Which could lead to Fun with the animal people.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 02:28:56 pm »

The waste would slowly turn into water but that would still create miasma.

I don't like this idea of waste turning into water. It has no bearing on reality at all. It should have to be washed off the map or something IMO. Or it could be used for farming, after being composted of course. Even if it is used to grow crops though there should be build up over time of depleted soil. It is normal for many layers of soil to build up on farmland over time. To live underground waste should eventually have to be taken out to the surface or dumped in the magma sea or something. Or you could have a temporary solution by letting your sewage out into the caverns. Which could lead to Fun with the animal people.

Yeah well I guess the only problem with the idea is what happens when waste toutches water. Help please.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 02:42:21 pm »

I have an idea! The waste could turn the water into contaminated water when it touches it. The waste is destroyed, but dorfs will refuse to drink the water and the water will let off miasma. Fire WILL clense the water and make it regular water again.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 02:43:45 pm »

and contaminated water would contaminate other water?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 03:11:51 pm »

and contaminated water would contaminate other water?
Thats how it is in real life. It shoudl un-contaminate after a while though.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 03:23:28 pm »

so, if a dwarf takes a dump on a river, it's goodbye drinkable water forever?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6