Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.  (Read 11552 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 03:31:36 pm »

so, if a dwarf takes a dump on a river, it's goodbye drinkable water forever?
no since the bad units of water would flow down stream... Man I love the way one dwarves shit can kill a fort.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 03:34:49 pm »

It should infect the water SLOWLY, not spread like magma on grass, that would just be bad.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 04:02:48 pm »

Wow, this sounds exactly like the first post of the thread I linked where we talked about this exact subject for (checks) 27 pages!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 09:42:45 am »

Nope. Symply ad multifluids.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 10:56:20 am »

I'm pretty sure Toady said he's not going to add turd and piss, but this is still a good idea.

I modded my dwarves with 'lays unusual eggs' to lay a toy called 'poo'. I could also have created a special nest box called 'toilet', but who cares its useless.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:45 am »

Thats the point. This idea isnt useless.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 11:06:24 pm »

Thing is, moving water would be something that is used to remove waste. Waste would'nt become a liquid in and of itself. Waste would just be a substance layer, like vomit or blood, which would contaminate/ propagate in water, which ultimately removes it. The alternative is waste just getting piled up to be removed with the cleaning labor or removed by rain/ weather after a bit. The stuff decomposes, after all.

All said, the basic mechanics for accurately modeled dwarf shit is already in place, the problem is that its somewhat silly and it ultimately detracts from the gameplay, having FPS dedicated to tracking shit stains on the farmer dwarves shoveling it around or walking through it, or having it land on them from grates a z-level up and in the sewage flow like blood, vomit, water is right now.

Making an even more elaborate system for modelling waste is an even worse idea. I think this is probably one of those things that can be abstracted a bit, if represented at all.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 11:49:32 pm »

Has anyone considered redoing fluids in general?
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 03:47:30 am »

The stuff decomposes, after all.

It decomposes to soil, it doesn't vanish.

Making an even more elaborate system for modelling waste is an even worse idea. I think this is probably one of those things that can be abstracted a bit, if represented at all.

I completely disagree. 200 odd dwarfs living underground with livestock whilst making absolutely no provision for sewage seems very very silly to me.

Has anyone considered redoing fluids in general?

There has been a lot of discussion about redoing liquids so that you could have rivers of blood. Or dig vats out of the mountain for vast quantities of booze. Antymattar has hit the nail on the head though. The big complexity with including multiple liquids is what happens when you combine them. In real life this is very very complicated. When two flows are moving in much the same direction they can flow side by side, or one can flow on top of the other. They can flow at different velocities which causes turbulence and eddies which mix the liquids. Then you have immiscibility, some liquids just don't stay mixed and the less turbulence there is the quicker they seperate. You have sediment flow too where solids are carried along with a fluid. And this is really just scratching the surface.

Coming up with a simple set of rules is quite difficult. Of course it doesn't have to be too realistic but until some mechanism for this is designed it just isn't practical to have multiple liquids. We only have as many as two proper fluids because of the instant obsidian rule.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 06:27:01 am »

Coming up with a simple set of rules is quite difficult. Of course it doesn't have to be too realistic but until some mechanism for this is designed it just isn't practical to have multiple liquids. We only have as many as two proper fluids because of the instant obsidian rule.
To add any liquid to the current system, you'd basically need it to react to every other existing liquid by either evaporating or turning solid.. mixing is completely out of the question. I think liquid waste has a chance.. it could evaporate itself when in contact with water, and turn it into "undrinkable water". It would simply turn semisolid and burn when in contact with magma. Undrinkable water would be a fourth (actually fifth?) liquid, like salt water, which otherwise reacts just like plain water would.. it just can't be drunk, and turns any salt or normal water below or next to it into undrinkable water as well. Below it should be instant, next to it should be slow.. so that the top layers can actually clean out while the bottom layers solidify, much like what happens with small junk in water treatment plants.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 06:37:30 am »

Make it so that wildlife can mutate, 3 Eyed carp, also would make an excellent pit material for invaders to fall into upon retracting bridges, oh yes.
Hello.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 07:27:09 am »

fluid mixing:

It becomes one fluid, but it is both water and waste. the waste-water will eventually become water.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 07:55:29 am »

mixing is completely out of the question

Why? It's tricky not impossible and having liquids just vanish or transmogrify is kinda silly.

fluid mixing:

It becomes one fluid, but it is both water and waste. the waste-water will eventually become water.

OK, but how fast do they mix? In what direction? And why why why do people keep insisting that waste eventually becomes water? If that happens there seems very little point to the whole exercise to me.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 08:06:58 am »

OK, but how fast do they mix? In what direction? And why why why do people keep insisting that waste eventually becomes water? If that happens there seems very little point to the whole exercise to me.
Direction... <.<....>.>.....-_-....I dono.
Anyway, Waste is basically urin and shit mixed with some more filth.
Wehen you throw this http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLobA7syR0U_Z-aTLUhcF62JaZq48jN6s8reMH8scJqqDqLDUn
in with water, then it will eventually be cleansed. I dont understand your ideas of turbilance and flow directions because DF never had it in the first place. Liquids flow DOWN. That what they do in DF at least. There are no flows...For now at least.

Ok, so the waste could leave one unit of solid waste behind(remember, it works like a ramp) and over time the whole thing could be filled with solid waste if not washed away. So all we need now is to have water wash away solid waste. Perhaps the solid waste turns into XXXX's.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 08:17:40 am »

...For now at least.

This is where we're differing I think. There is no sewage in DF either ...for now at least. What I am suggesting is that multiple liquids need to be supported before it is worth implementing sewage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6