Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.  (Read 11548 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2011, 04:55:02 pm »

And if this ever gets added, who wants to bet how long it will take for someone to start drowning sieges in dwarf poo? I say 5 minutes.
Don't be insane! First there's download, then worldgen, then building a fort to the point that it attracts sieges, then rebuilding because a flying forgotten beast made it through a hole in the floor...I say, wait an hour at least.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ticattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2011, 08:44:04 pm »

And if this ever gets added, who wants to bet how long it will take for someone to start drowning sieges in dwarf poo? I say 5 minutes.
This is dwarf fortress. Everything is weaponised at some point.  Of course, in this case, it wouldn't be particularly spectacular. If RavingManiac's suggestion were put in place...
Also, I do not support treating nightsoil as a moving liquid due to the resulting increased complexity. Instead, it should be treated as an object, which generates miasma at periodic intervals before eventually decaying into fertilizer, and disappears in water, turning it brown and undrinkable (and since it will not disappear in water that has already been contaminated, flowing water will be neccesary).
(Re-quoted for your convenience)

... then it would be exactly the same as every other drowning system. Well, except for the part where there's an outhouse above it at some point, thereby possibly creating a weakness in your fort for invaders to exploit. Good job.

If a player wishes to be crude or juvenile, then that's their call. It doesn't particularly concern me what some kid in <insert location that isn't my house> is doing on his own computer. Things should not be added to the game just for the eight year olds to chuckle at, but neither should things which are otherwise sound and interesting ideas be excluded solely to deny them their irrelevant little thrills.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2011, 04:26:16 am »

Poo Nightsoil releases methane, which is explosive. Think about it, my fellow beardy ones.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2011, 09:37:03 am »

Loving the ideas coming out in this thread.  Nightsoil is an excellent term, and the suggestion of a solid matter that dissolves in water, converting it to contaminated water, seems like a very simple and effective method of managing how sewers would work.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

KharBevNor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2011, 06:43:52 pm »

I think at first it would make sense just to have the dwarves make earth closets and collect the nightsoil in buckets for use as fertiliser and possibly for the tannery. Just have each latrine be a building/furniture item like a hive that holds a certain amount of waste before getting 'cluttered', and have a nightsoil collector. Alternatively, maybe there should be an option to build a latrine over a channel and just let it drop through to whatever is underneath...that would circumvent many of the high-end problems for the moment. One problem I see with making waste fill up whole units of water depth is that is an awful lot of waste, though of course if dwarves only poop as ofen as they eat and drink that might make some sense. Much better I think to treat it as an extract object.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »

On a related note, armies in world-gen should fling plague-ridden corpses at each other during sieges to infect opposing forces.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2011, 01:31:03 am »

Aw thank you guys for reviving this.

Yeah, I agree that it is currently much more complex than it should be. As the author of the idea, I say that maybe it shouldnt turn solid in the water or stuff. maybe it should just be liquid crap where one unit of liquid crap comes from 10 shit-brix that come from dwarves.

Also, what do you guys think about having animals poo in places where other animals have pooped?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2011, 01:20:53 pm »

i think that's nice,gdogs try to poo as far from the place that they sleep,and they try to not poo near other dog's poo.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2011, 01:40:08 pm »

that might make sense for some animals, but i'm not sure cows, as an example, share that behaviour.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]