Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospital / soap problem  (Read 1523 times)

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
Hospital / soap problem
« on: June 16, 2011, 04:02:13 pm »

My dwarves got into a scrap with goblins. A few miners got also injured in a cave-in caused by their stupidity in channelling an area.

So I've set up an hospital zone.

Slacker dorfs kept staying in the hospital for obscene amounts of time, then succumbing to infections.

So I've set up soap making industry, with ash from (luckily abundant) trees and kitten tallow.

The soap is lying around the workshop, used for absolutely nothing apart from cluttering it more and more. None of it gets hauled to the hospital, even though other medical supplies are. There are no burrow conflicts, my haulers have all hauling jobs enabled and can get to both the workshop and the hospital just fine.

Is that a bug, or am I doing something wrong? And if so, what?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital / soap problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:06:55 pm »

Do you have a chief medical dwarf? If not, the hospital is useless. You should choose someone, who finds it rewarding, to help others.
You also need to have dwarfes with the medic labors enabled. Preferebly nothing else, or they might be happily making rock blocks while the patients die.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 04:34:58 pm »

I have both a chief medical dwarf and a few paramedics to help him. The biggest problem is that every single dorf who gets hospitalized seems to catch an infection and die horribly way later, rotting in a hospital bed in the meantime. I'm trying to keep a certain level of hygiene in my fortress - there is, for example, a mandatory water shower at the entrance to the dining room.

What I'm trying to understand is why no soap gets hauled to the hospital storage, ever. And how to make it happen.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:20:32 pm »

As far as i understand it doesnt matter.  The hospital claims the soap anyway even if it doesnt have room for it (claims based on your settings)  Reliably filling containers with a good mix is a little tricky but if you have soap, doctors can use it.  Medical stuff is really low priority.  No other labours at all on chief medic dwarf, preferably none on any medical dwarf

If you really want some in the hospital then.....forbid all your cloth and thread, make some soap, build a chest or two in the hospital, then unforbid thread/cloth once they move some soap.  For some probably slightly buggy reason you tend to end up with mainly those 2

Edit: I think the hospital generates claims for items it wants (based on zone settings). these jobs are all simultaneous and dont respect available storage space, its quite possible it decides to grab 50,000 thread and 500 soap but the dwarves go for thread first and you only built enough chests for half the thread total anyway.....no soap in storage
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:26:50 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 05:56:48 pm »

Yeah, putting five more chests in the hospital seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks! :)

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:08:53 pm »

There are a few bugs with putting stuff in the hospital, as above have mentioned. Here's a few notes:

--First and foremost, the hospital won't claim anything if it doesn't have storage space in the form of chests.
--When the hospital supply for any item isn't topped off, the hospital claims enough of that item to fill any available space, even if it would give you several times more stock than you tell it to take as a maximum.
--Stocking appears to have a priority order. Near as I can tell, it's the same order they appear in the stocks list. So, cloth and thread tend to be stocked before soap is thought of.

When I set up my hospitals, the first thing I do is tell it to take one less cloth and thread as the default (so four stacks of each instead of five). Then, I place in two or three chests, wait for them to get filled, and then start putting in new chests one at a time. As soon as the newest chest is full, I put in another, and repeat the process until stocks are where I want them. From then on, you only have to watch out for any massive over-supplying after a major round of injuries. So, if you see your thread is at, say, 38000/40000, look at the jobs list and find the "Store in Hospital" jobs. As soon as one is taken and being completed, remove the rest.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:32:17 pm »

Does anyone know whether *only* the Chief Medical Dwarf performs Diagnosis tasks, or will other dwarves with Diagnosis enables perform it as long as a CMD is appointed?

I have a couple of extra migrants that came in with some decent Diagnoser skill, and it would be nice to have a few backups on-hand just in case my CMD is on break/partying/asleep/busy diagnosing another patient/etc when a bunch of new patients come in.

--nomad_delta

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:56:38 pm »

Other dwarves idling with "Diagnostician" active will pick up "Diagnose Patient," at least some of the time.

edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:07:57 pm by Aachen »
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.