Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: An idea to combat dwarven obesity.  (Read 9786 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: An idea to combat dwarven obesity.
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 08:25:05 am »

My "incredibly fat" wrestler had his one hand amputated, the other was too wounded to hold a weapon. both legs were wounded enough too to disable standing. He just sat in his bed spamming: " unable to pick up a weapon, too injured"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 08:26:57 am »

That's rather unrelated to being fat, and more on account of not wearing gloves when those goblin swordsmen arrived...

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 09:13:10 am »

I think girlinhat's bacon trees are to blame here.

That being said carve out an oval track for your dwarves to jog on. If they aren't running fast enough pit a giant badger in there, that'll get them moving.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Jamuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 10:00:57 am »

make pumps and let them train with them ...
btw do pumps actually need to pump something to have any training effect on the operator?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:04 am »

make pumps and let them train with them ...
btw do pumps actually need to pump something to have any training effect on the operator?
No, they just need to work it.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 10:22:28 am »

Wait, wait, wait - back the fuck up. You can make your dwarves stronger by making them operate pumps? Seriously?  :o
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 10:35:29 am »

Wait, wait, wait - back the fuck up. You can make your dwarves stronger by making them operate pumps? Seriously?  :o
would be great if that replaced layer of fat under dwarf's skin with a layer of obsidian

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 10:36:58 am »

Its said a lot and more or less accepted on the wiki. I guess I go science a bit with df and runesmith.
Wiki Page
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 11:45:18 am »

I believe this was confirmed... somewhere... to only work if the pumps are actually moving fluids.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 11:55:05 am »

I have returned with the results:
I used a LP woodcutter. His start strength was 544. He pumped a total of 25 days (days he wasn't exhausted from pumping non-stop). His end stat was 548, not bad for less than a month, having no previous skill, and pumping air.
I later tracked his endurance. Start Endurance 325, Pumped 15 days, end endurance 366. The stat improved by leaps and bounds, a six day difference alone increased it by 11.

Result:
I'm pretty the attributes increase faster with lower levels (see End Endurance), and I chose the weakest embark dwarf. The testing time was 1 month game time. There are 2 question I now have though: Does skill effect gains and if so how?

I believe this was confirmed... somewhere... to only work if the pumps are actually moving fluids.
The above refutes.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 12:13:30 pm »

Also make them do that pumping in a mist generator room... I have 4 dwarves out of 160 24/7 pumping, every single dwarf with pumping labor enabled. Each season some third of the non-military population visits the room(in my dining hall actually) - so while admiring masterpiece stuff, enjoying the mist and chit-chatting with friends they also boost their strength. Its a win-win! (and also makes sure that dwarves even further living dwarves, as its not my only dining hall, visit the mist generator at least couple of times a year).

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 03:39:55 pm »

Also make them do that pumping in a mist generator room... I have 4 dwarves out of 160 24/7 pumping, every single dwarf with pumping labor enabled. Each season some third of the non-military population visits the room(in my dining hall actually) - so while admiring masterpiece stuff, enjoying the mist and chit-chatting with friends they also boost their strength. Its a win-win! (and also makes sure that dwarves even further living dwarves, as its not my only dining hall, visit the mist generator at least couple of times a year).

What the fuck. Pointless slave labor and the dwarves enjoy it.

I salute you, sir.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 03:54:43 pm »

Are fat dwarves bigger? It may then turn out that Fatty McLard can wield a two-handed sword or something due to extra mass, average dwarf size is 60000 and the 2HS needs a size of 62500.

If you make everything out of platinum they'll still stay fat.
It's just genetics, you got more fat dwarves who have useless jobs. So they idle. The more they idle the more they become friends with people. Then they'll eventually get in a romance and you get a baby dwarf. That baby dwarf grows up to become a fat dwarf, spreading it's fatness to other dwarves.
Luck also plays a part in it.

That's not how real life genetics work...traits that are aquired during a lifetime aren't inherited to children, otherwise lets say the child of a one-armed war veteran would also be born one-armed.
However, you may already know that and you are commenting on our dwarven genetics, which may or may not work this way...any !!science!! done on this?

I assumed he just meant that he had (due to luck) started with a lot of fat dwarves with little-used skills.  Because they had little-used skills, they idled and bred, producing more fat dwarves.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »

Are fat dwarves bigger? It may then turn out that Fatty McLard can wield a two-handed sword or something due to extra mass, average dwarf size is 60000 and the 2HS needs a size of 62500.

If you make everything out of platinum they'll still stay fat.
It's just genetics, you got more fat dwarves who have useless jobs. So they idle. The more they idle the more they become friends with people. Then they'll eventually get in a romance and you get a baby dwarf. That baby dwarf grows up to become a fat dwarf, spreading it's fatness to other dwarves.
Luck also plays a part in it.

That's not how real life genetics work...traits that are aquired during a lifetime aren't inherited to children, otherwise lets say the child of a one-armed war veteran would also be born one-armed.
However, you may already know that and you are commenting on our dwarven genetics, which may or may not work this way...any !!science!! done on this?

I assumed he just meant that he had (due to luck) started with a lot of fat dwarves with little-used skills.  Because they had little-used skills, they idled and bred, producing more fat dwarves.
That explanation is just ridiculous on so many levels. Unless you play each for for about 500 years breeding won't have a significant effect on genetics.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 05:08:17 pm »

That explanation is just ridiculous on so many levels. Unless you play each for for about 500 years breeding won't have a significant effect on genetics.

Sure it does. If you shoot anyone who's small you don't need too many generations to reduce the number of small dwarves significantly, because, you know, they've been shot and can't have any small children. Evolution is on average slow, yes, but it can be quite fast if the right selection pressure is applied.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5