Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: An idea to combat dwarven obesity.  (Read 9748 times)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An idea to combat dwarven obesity.
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2011, 07:16:20 pm »

Okay, I've come up with one good, but still irrelevant, thing to science: do dwarves gain fat at different rates depending on their genes.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2011, 07:20:11 pm »

Well, I don't know the answer to that question, but I have found a way to tie this in to the original purpose of the thread. If we breed dwarves that favor the prevention of weight gain, there should be less obesity. Prevention counts as a way to combat it, right?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2011, 02:52:07 am »

In addition to breeding slim civilians the same logic could be used to breed a caste of super strong and tough military dwarves. Scary fun implications!
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

bradman911

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2011, 03:25:22 am »

In addition to breeding slim civilians the same logic could be used to breed a caste of super strong and tough military dwarves. Scary fun implications!

Hmm, I think I've heard that idea before but I'm not quite sure where, in other news after I tried out this plan of breeding super strong military dwarves my king grew a rather silly moustache.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2011, 03:26:40 am »

Not that different to holocausting elves in a magma chamber. We're all already nazis, just in denial about it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2011, 03:59:48 am »

YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY IT OUT LOUD
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2011, 04:06:25 am »

I can only imagine fatness to be incredibly good for anything in this game if density/weight of a creature increases then so does their overall power!

Also as stated, extra layers of fat afford good protection or possibly a way to avoid total limb severing, why on earth would you want your dwarves to be skinny and not balls of lard for these reasons?
Hello.

bradman911

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2011, 05:04:51 am »

Also as stated, extra layers of fat afford good protection or possibly a way to avoid total limb severing, why on earth would you want your dwarves to be skinny and not balls of lard for these reasons?

Two words:  Primae Noctis.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2011, 06:01:59 am »

First, I've never seen any evidence of dwarven children inheriting stats such as strength, endurance, agility etc.  This make breeding dwarves for military rather difficult unless you select based on DFs inheritable characteristics.  (these seem to be things like size and propensity to run to fat)  Also, None of my dwarves can ever handle a 2h sword despite wide attribute/stat ranges.  A creatures 'size' attribute is governed by its growth progression laid down in the raws.  While eating adds fat it does not appear to add size/mass.  I do recall once getting a 2hsword weilding dwarf, this was a long time ago, dwarves may have had a size range back then or something.

As far as training dwarves with pumps goes (a page or two back now).  Yes you gain stats pumping, but as noted by the guy with the science though this seems to falloff the higher you get (and pretty rapidly), this means sooner or later its going to balance on attribute rust.  If moving a liquid trains at a faster rate this would be interesting.

You can see dwarven genetics at work easily.  While yes, not many forts make it to the 30 year mark required to get a few generations in....there was a thread in community stories a while back about someone who ran a 1000 year fortress and did some genetic science.  As I recall dwarven relationships are complex enough to handle concepts like Great Aunt.  I dont however recall just now how much he looked at inheritable characteristics
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:04:44 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2011, 06:04:09 am »

Two words:  Primae Noctis.

What does permission to ravage your wife have to do with fat dwarves?
Hello.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2011, 06:05:22 am »

You are the overseer, you have rights with your dwarven ladies...

His mind is in the gutter, as clearly is mine.

(primae noctis is the right to ravage someone elses wife)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2011, 02:14:08 pm »

Though selection results in evolution, it is not the same thing as evolution.  Evolution is the change in allele frequency over generations, and so culling all the thin dwarves is not evolution, and, depending on whether fatness is heritable, which has certainly not been proven here, it may not even be selection.

Has anyone really demonstrated that culling smaller livestock results in larger offspring?  People talk about it as if it were true and proven, but they also say that booze bombs cause damage, and that falling objects cause damage, both of which were simply not true last time I tested.

Also, jus primae noctis almost certainly never existed in any human culture, and dwarves don't have sex anyways.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2011, 02:49:37 pm »

I thought physical characterism like size, fat amount and muscle was genetic and passed down? At least it seem to be far more likely on average with selective breeding of creatures. There're a lot less fatty dogs in my stock since I selectively culls the one with notable amount of fat, and a generation or two down the line without culling, there're far less notably fatty dogs on average. Tis possible that it's a random occurances but it seem to be conclusive enough.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]