Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Let's read the EULA! VII: Pando Media Booster EULA (Short one this time)  (Read 35358 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's read the EULA! II: Playstation 3 Terms of Service
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 12:44:00 pm »

Apparently, SCEA stands for Sony Computer Entertainment of America, whereas SNEA is Sony Network Entertainment of America. On wikipedia, there is only a page for SCEA (Which actually redirects to SNEI, the inernational entity), which has absolutely no mention of SNEA. A google search for SNEA shows that control of the PSN was switched from SCEA to SNEA on April 1, 2011.
The switch of online services from Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA)  to SNEA has been expected for some time now as SNEA already manages the online operations of other Sony products such as Bravia, Blu-ray Players and Dash.

In fact, the only thing I can find about SNEA, anywhere, is that they took control of the PSN on April 1, and this involved some changes in the EULA.
...if a user declines the new terms, the account will be closed and the money stored in it will be refunded. ...Established last year, Sony Network Entertainment already handles the online operations for Sony's Bravia, Dash, and Blu-ray players. Gamers may know it primarily for the Qriocity video and music streaming services, which use the same log-in information and virtual wallets as the PlayStation Network.

So, as far as I can tell, SNEA is just a subsidiary of Sony (and I mean SCEA), directly controlled by Sony. To be honest, I don't understand in legal terms to what degree they are a separate company.

I also tried digging on San Mateo a little harder. Earlier I searched San Mateo Tax (and found only that they had a 9.25% sales tax) and San Mateo Law (and found only lawyers in San Mateo). I was going to look up "San Mateo Lawsuit" when I saw that "San Mateo Superior Court" was a popular search. There's a few sites, and I either can't really find what I'm looking for on them or am not sure if they're legitimate. With a few other searches I can't seem to find any particular law regarding to what I'm looking for, but I DID find "Sony Computer Entertainment of America" on google maps. the building actually looks pretty big, relatively speaking anyway, but remember we know they have less than 275 employees in that county, so I'm not sure whether it's safe to say they're "based" there.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 07:31:54 pm »

I could send the WoW one if you want

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 02:51:22 am »

I already found and linked it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 03:18:58 am »

I just love the fact that almost every EULA gives total rights to the providing company to completely fuck over your account, rob you and then ban you from the game because a block of text you agreed to says so. They've got you in a death grip chokehold when it comes to anything involving your account.

Oh well, thus is the life of the end user.

Iced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 05:04:46 am »

I always loved the iTunes EULA myself

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/appstore/dev/stdeula/

'You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.,

You'll find that at the bottom of section 'g' for anyone interested

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 05:55:17 am »

Linked it already, Iced.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 06:42:01 pm »

Bonus round! Health and safety warnings:

-PS3:
Most of this is pertaining to epileptic seizures. There's also a section on the sixaxis controller and 3D screens.
Regarding the sixaxis motion controller:
If the controller hits a person or object, this may cause accidental, injury or damage.
It's a good thing I read the safety warnings so I know that.
When using the controller, grip it firmly to make sure it cannot slip out of your hand.
Caution: Do not throw controller at screen in frustration.

Some people may experience discomfort (such as eye strain, eye fatigue or nausea) while watching 3D video images or playing stereoscopic 3D games on 3D televisions. If you experience such discomfort, you should immediately discontinue use of your television until the discomfort subsides.
I get discomfort because they suck, I should stop watching them.
The vision of young children (especially those under six years old) is still under development. SCEA recommends that you consult your doctor (such as a pediatrician or eye doctor) before allowing young children to watch 3D video images or play stereoscopic 3D games.
Holy shit nintendo 3DS! Wonder if the 3DS safety warnings say anything about that...

-Kinect:
I couldn't find a page on health and safety for the xbox, I guess they only have an epilepsy warning. Kinect safety has some funny ones though.
If you allow children to use the sensor without supervision, be sure to explain all relevant safety and health information and instructions. ... Make sure children using the Kinect sensor play safely and within their limits, and make sure they understand proper use of the system.
Microsoft to parents: Tell your children not to smash furniture, run and jump "within limits".
I might note that I'm skipping over a lot of Microsoft telling you really obvious things (like "look in all directions for obstacles") for the sake of brevity.
Make sure you have appropriate footwear for gaming (no high heels, flip flops, etc.) or are barefoot, if appropriate.
Yeah, if you don't know to take off your high heels, there probably isn't much help for you.
It also says some stuff on how not to electrocute yourself, and not to exercise if you shouldn't exercise.
If you experience excessive fatigue, nausea, shortness of breath, chest tightness, dizziness, discomfort, or pain, STOP USING IMMEDIATELY and consult a doctor.
"...and that means you, Gabe Newell! Serves you for putting Steam on the PS3!"

-Wii:
Blah blah blah, epilepsy, eye strain, poopsocking, electric shock... radio frequency interference?
If you have a pacemaker or other implanted medical device, do not use the Wii console or remote without first consulting your doctor...
Holy crap! Watch out, Wii Bowling night at the elderly home...
The Wii console is a Class I laser product. Do not attempt to disassemble the Wii console.
Pew pew, lasers!

Hold the Wii Remote firmly and do not let go. ...For example, in Wii Sports bowling, the proper way to let go of the ball while bowling is to release the "B" button on the Wii Remote—DO NOT LET GO OF THE Wii REMOTE ITSELF.
This should be obvious, shouldn't it? But evidently Nintendo was having problems with people throwing their controller like a bowling ball and not expecting it to have similar consequences to throwing a bowling ball at your TV.

If you are having so much fun that you start perspiring, take a moment to dry your hands.
so much fun that you start perspiring
ಠ_ಠ

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Let's read the EULA! Bonus: Health and Safety
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:53 pm »

Actually the 3ds has eye safety warnings printed all over the box
It's FEF, not FEOF

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 07:06:05 pm »

If you are having so much fun that you start perspiring, take a moment to dry your hands.
This is the best safety warning. The best.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 07:09:40 pm »

Yah, 3DS has warnings on many of their commercials even not to let kids play with 3D mode on.

The iTunes one has become a straight up meme with celebrity dramatic readings

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 07:45:48 pm »

Oh whoa, this thread is amazing.
I think I'm going to have to actively watch this one.

Also, if you're trying to find more to look at... While it's probably largely the same as the Sony one, you could take a look at Steam's licences. I'm pretty sure it contains a few things along the lines "We reserve the right to permanently drop the service and never let you access the products you've paid for again."
Though, it's been a while since I read it so it's a bit vague on just how good it is for this sorta thing.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 08:06:57 pm »

I agree. This hilarity is intriguing.

In addition, that part about "discomfort from seeing 3d images"? That actually happens to people. My mom literally cannot watch a 3 Dimensional video game (or play one) (oddly this does not apply to other things like movies) without feeling sick.

I am not posting to watch, since I will be watching this thread like a hawk.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 08:29:52 pm »

http://www.cnet.com/8301-30976_1-20068778-10348864.html Richard Dreyfuss performs excerpts from the iTunes EULA. Fun stuff!

One of my favorite bits:

THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:32:24 pm by Tilla »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »

To be fair, if your hands are sweaty, it's easier for the controller to slip out of your hands and hit that guy with a pacemaker having a heart attack from 20 straight rounds of Wii Flailing Randomly Boxing.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 04:50:29 am »

This is a great thread. I remember being repulsed by the far more tame Himachi network agreement; I probably would have declared any of these EULAs scams if I had started reading in a situation where I was actually considering using them. Although they aren't technically scams, they certainly skim the boarder here and there.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8