Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The misadventures of a spearman and his leroy  (Read 4310 times)

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The misadventures of a spearman and his leroy
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:59:43 pm »

Well I wanted to try an ARR in an adventure mode since most of them are of dwarf fortress mode This is my first attempt at doing this and constructive criticism would be appreciated

Introduction:

Dear journal (ive heard a few people whispering this was a diary. Nonsense! it is a journal... which is much manlier than a diary!)

Ive grown bored of peasant life. I want to fall out of the routine of go milk the cows, get raided by barbarians, go tend to the crops, get stolen from by soldiers chasing the barbarians, herd the sheep, its the same old boring routine.

So ive er "borrowed" some equipment from a few armorsmiths and weaponsmiths. My friend, Leroy, decided he wanted to come with me. I guess ill let him stay with me.  Although he is a bit useless at the moment considering I only borrowed enough for one person oh well if worse comes to worse i can always run away and trip him.

So off we embark. To ADVENTURE!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:19:35 pm by cameron1124 »

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The misadventures of a spearman and his leroy
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:38:10 pm »

Day 01 of adventuring

We head off to the north in the direction of a fort hoping to recruit some more cannon fodder fine soldiers to our cause.

When we get there I search for the fortress gates but leroy starts staring into the distance. You see the reason I wasnt so sure about him joining me is that sometimes he gets into this bloodthirsty trance where he gets focused on the enemy or, in this case, random wildlife. He then starts charging towards it howling LEEERRROOOOYYYY! Anyway, he starts wondering off chasing something or another

I manage to drag him back and we eventually find the castle gates and enter.turns out its packed with all sorts of animals. Leroy starts frothing at the mouth as I go to the castle centre to see if anyone is there, ignoring the death screams of bunnies and hedgehogs. As it turns out the castle is compeltly abandoned

I sigh as I go back to retrieve Leroy from his trance and go searching someplace else in our adventure. What I find may not be for children

As it starts to get dark we head east and arrive at a hamlet. I try to recruit some of the local populace. They may not be trained soldiers,but they are another target for enemy weapons. Results vary

A cowardly pack of Pansies they are! Never the less I manage to recruit 2 people to the team. They might not be much but atleast they can hold daggers.

this ends the journal report for day 01 of adventuring.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:28:22 am by cameron1124 »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:40:29 pm »

did you start on peasant difficulty... cause if so you probably want soldiers so you can killsteal them for exp.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 06:52:38 am »

actually no. I started on demigod because non of my characters survived past their first village.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:12:40 am »

Nice story, keep posting!  :)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:24:56 am »

Journal entry days 02-03 of adventuring

We head off to the northwest. we heard from the village that there was a group of bandits there lead by an evil goblin leader. We plan on stopping by the fortress on the way there to get some better troops then the cannon fodder I have now.

we make it to the fort and as we approach are ambushed by a pack of ravenous bloodthirsty horses! Naturaly im supervisor so I let the other three take care of the horses while I provide moral support. We get most of the buggers but the two recruits died. one had his brains kicked in and the other bled to death from his wounds. Oh well they died in honor and battle and what not.

As we enter the castle it goes much like the last time. I enter the keep to see if anybody is there and Leroy goes apeshit on the animals outside. Well lucky me this castle is also abandoned!

We then start to leave for one of the villages nearby so that we can rest and maybe gather some more forces. I also cant help but notice that Leroy is starting to carry around the skulls from his kills on a belt. Theres even a human skull on it! well according to it this is what has killed so far.

when we get to the town I start recruiting a few more soldiers. around 7 people joined me. This town must be a really bad place to live if they want to get out of here that bad!

We start northwest to go to the bandit camp. when we arrive there we soon see an enemy spearman. The peasants swarmed the enemy spearman and cut and slashed him into bits. Maybe there not that bad after all.

We soon meet the main bandit force and attack!

I also hear this rather pleasant message

The peasants manage to completely swarm all of the enemy until its just the goblin leader!

who ends up in a fate not disimalar to the spearman's. I also take the liberty of grabbing a few valuables from the enemies corpses. some may consider it gross. Those people dont have iron chainmail armor. We suffer no casualties and the only serious wounds are a few broken bones. Although I suspect one may be faking. I dont think you can break an ear

end of the journal entry on day 02-03 of adventuring
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:28:22 am by cameron1124 »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:34:21 am »

Nice job, and I also know the true strength of knife-wielding peasants.  Those people are FIERCE.  Individually, they're pretty weak, but the enemy A.I. doesn't know how to exploit their weakness ( unlike the players  ;) ).  They attack as if they have a hive mind...with them at your back, you'll win quite a few battles. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 09:10:04 pm »

Note to the people (or more accurately person) who read these I plan on doing one a day unless something pops up in real life.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 01:30:34 am »

Certainly more interesting than my own adventures. Keep posting!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 09:06:21 am »

Certainly more interesting than my own adventures. Keep posting!

See, Cameron, it's just more than one person reading this  ;)

Hope to see more awesome adventure mode...adventures ( I guess ) tomorrow! 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »

Journal entry day 3-4 of adventuring

So after the hard fought battle I looted the corpses of everything valuable and set about figuring out how to take care of the wounded. Well apparently everyone is too lazy to drag them back to civilization and im supervisor so I cant handle grunt work. We decide to just leave the wounded at the bandit camp and head east towards a hamlet to spread news of our latest victories and get some more fodder adventurers.

I decide that my service is worthy of the king! and ask the peasants where the capital is. its a long ways to the northwest and we head there immediatly

We get to the castle (thank Armok it isnt abandoned) and meet with the law-giver and he sends us off go kill some monster or another. He says it's name in the old tongue, a language that Im not very fluent at but I heard my grandfather say it a few times.   I am positive the monster's name translates to Adolf arachneeed the spider nazi. strange name for a monster if I say so myself.

confidently our party leaves the castle and heads over to a town to get some better gear. unfortunately we soon learn that we have no money and what we have to trade will only be enough to give to one person. Naturally since im the most important person I designate myself to get the better gear. after the night we go and recruit some more peasants to our cause and then head off to slay ADOLF!

following the lord's instructions we find a door in the mountain with a sign taped to it saying "Adolf's layer go away or die, except girl scouts just put the cookies through the slot and ill mail the money back." I knew this was a sign of evil because everyone knows the girl scout mafia is one of the most evil bandit groups in all the lands! The others make me go in first. because apparently I have to "supervise the entrance point to make sure we all get in the lair correctly." Normally I would whip them, but seeing what they did to the goblin bandit leader before I decide to go in.

As I go in I see a load of elf and human corpses aswell as prepared elf and human meals. I cant decide if I want to kill the monster yet because on the one hand it does kill elves. but it also kills humans. I do decide to loot the cave of everything. Maybe I can sell the meat to cannibals or something.

My progress is shortly inturrupted when I see the beast we came here to kill! It looks like a giant spider, with a mysterious patch of fur between its mandibles. my forces engage as I stand back to "supervise the entranceway."

after an intense fight between the peasant horde and the spider nazi we finally manage to defeat it! the loot and the glory is mine ours! Although I think I should have included some drawing about the actual fight. oh well. more adventure to come.

end journal entry

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 01:59:22 am »

Cool quest, and I love the part about the girl scout mafia. 

I can already imagine them saying "I'll give them an offer they can't refuse". 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 12:44:31 pm »

unfortunately im having problems with dwarf fortress. no more entries until I manage to solve it. sorry.

edit:everything is fixed now I should have another episode (or two) up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:41:31 pm by cameron1124 »

Obsessed

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh no not you again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »

How many casualties did you suffer from the giant spider, if any?
Not that different to holocausting elves in a magma chamber. We're all already nazis, just in denial about it.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 02:29:55 am »

You are not sleeping enough. Each level of being drowsy halves your combat proficiency, iirc.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?
Pages: [1] 2