Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is inevitable catsplosion thing of the past?  (Read 3567 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Is inevitable catsplosion thing of the past?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 04:14:01 pm »

If cats are a problem, then put the cat-loving dwarf in a danger room (armor optional). If the dwarf dies, then you can slaughter the cats. If the cats die, then the immediate problem is solved.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 04:19:34 pm »

I also noticed a complete lack of catsplosion on my fort on the current version. In fact, I noticed that I couldn't recall a single "Meowingtons has adopted Urist" message, unless the game no longer broadcasts those by default anyway.

I was one of those people who made maximum-size pastures and then ran into the bug/malfeature of animals starving to death on top of grass while walking towards some other grass. For a while, until I figured out that the problem could be prevented with smaller pastures, I had VERY few animals and took to breeding cats *deliberately*, with limited success.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 05:03:01 pm »

Why don't you penetrate the caverns?
That might not necessarily work.

Perhaps it was a bug, but the one time I breached a cavern, there was a lot of mud, but no fungus to be found (neither the "grass", "shrub", nor "tree" class appeared to be represented).

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 12:36:52 am »

Perhaps it was a bug, but the one time I breached a cavern, there was a lot of mud, but no fungus to be found (neither the "grass", "shrub", nor "tree" class appeared to be represented).

I don't think it's a bug, I've occasionally encountered those caverns. You just have to start muddifying other part of underground, IIRC.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 03:07:29 am »

I've had that happen too, although I got bored with that fort before I was able to see if a barren underground meant no moss for the fort.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 03:37:29 am »

I have goatsplosions now :( Slaughtering all those useless billy goats (except the large one with gigantic muscles) seems to have the adverse affect of mass nanny goat birthing. I get birthing spam right before spring, and have to scramble new pastures for the kids.

At least with cats you can shove them in one cage.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 06:30:51 am »

Training spears set in upright spear traps and a lever are brutally effective at keeping the pet population at bay.

Danger rooms in my fort have eventually killed every single last non-slaughter-able pet in the fortress. Huzzah!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 09:21:45 am »

Yeah, goatsplosions are easy to set up, but they are butcherable (except for named pets of course), and do not adopt dwarves, so the problem is easy to fix. 
where is up?

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 10:07:35 am »

I encountered the same thing - that happens when the cavern has no water - nothing can grow.

I don't think it's a bug, I've occasionally encountered those caverns. You just have to start muddifying other part of underground, IIRC.
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.
Pages: 1 [2]