Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about the update  (Read 1188 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Question about the update
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:14:54 am »

I know this update focuses on the new night creatures and characters becoming night creatures, so does this mean that in fortress mode when we get migrants that one of them might be a werecreature or vampire? And I hope we don't Always have to fight against them either :P it would be cool having a military of vampires or locking up a few were creatures then letting them loose :D. in adventure mode we could become these creatures too? Cause that would cool killing people off as a nightcreature. Or we can find one of these tablets which give is the power over life and death then have a army of arms and other body bits!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:23:16 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the update
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:42:54 am »

This update focuses on town maps. The night creatures are a tangent born out of a desire to populate the catacombs and haunted houses born from that.

Anyway, the dev log clearly shows that adventurers can become weres and then pass on their curse. They might be able to become vampires if their contagion method is in. They'll definitely be able to become generic undead from crossing a necromancer or mummy. Whether they could become necromancers depends on whether Toady created an interface for interaction use, presumably. Mummies are right out until release 5 at the earliest. There likely are ways to fake things, though.

In fortress mode, your monarch might turn out to be a vampire. Maybe the outpost liaison too, depending. Necromancers and weres leave their civ, so they wouldn't be migrants, and since migrants are currently created from scratch, wouldn't have any interactions on them yet anyway. Mummies certainly won't do much traveling, either.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:06:51 pm »

Ahh cool :) thanks :) and I have not seen much on the towns and market system what's being added in that area? And are ideas on a release date?.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:16:18 pm »

There's been screenshots of the towns in the devlog. Market system hasn't really had any work done yet. Release date is, as always, "when it's done," but if I were to guess I would say sometime before the end of summer.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »

If you haven't already, you should check out the dev log for the first question. Markets are the upcoming things that will be coded, so we don't know much there. Towns in general will be able to have walls, keeps, warehouses, temples, shops with adjacent furnished living space, and other stuff. The 6/18 devlog contains maps at tile level, the 5/1 devlog shows undercities before their bells and whistles were added, and the 4/4 and 4/9 devlogs contain basic city schematics.

As for the second question, our best bet is a few weeks from now, depending on how well markets go, and whether Toady wants to go back to a few more night creature types.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu