Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Question from a noob, What exactly is the objective in Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 11481 times)

finite.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Basically this entire thread is correct. It's what YOU make it. Since I just started out a week or so ago, I'm still scratching the surface and trying to learn to survive is !!FUN!! to me. My last fort which I mentioned in a forum post I made ended in a tantrum spiral but I learned from my mistakes and my new fort is going strong, just passed first year and still haven't gotten around to building a military, I predict fun times ahead!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:23:47 am by finite. »

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

make the fort survive as long as possible
until it fall to boredom, or low fps.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Think of it as Jenga: Mines of Moria edition, and you're not too far off.

Suihanki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sigged.

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fuck around with the map until you die horribly.
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dig deep and find all the cool stuff down there. Avoid spoilers; it's much more fun to discover it all on your own.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

What everyone said, although it's generally achieving things before your fortress dies.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Pretty much everything in this thread is correct, so I'll just give you the short version: the goal of the game is to have Fun.

Also: Dig the delicious cotton candy at the bottom of the map. Really. I laughed a lot when I first did that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Pretty much everything in this thread is correct, so I'll just give you the short version: the goal of the game is to have Fun.

Also: Dig the delicious cotton candy at the bottom of the map. Really. I laughed a lot when I first did that.

Hysterically, I assume?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile

Hysterically, I assume?
happened to me too. i learned about clowns.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

If you dig down far enough, you'll find big pillars of blue stuff. If you dig down through those below the magma sea, you win.
If you do this, you will discover why you should NEVER trust advice involving being greedy...at least with special, deep metals...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you win the game if you reach the bottom of the map. the faster and less wealthy you are when you reach it the more points you get.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In all seriousness, DF is a game that can range from something close to early SimCity type construction with few threats if you mod the ini files to get rid of invasions, to horrifyingly deadly fights for survival.

It's a resource management and construction game, and dwarves are your tools to use the resources.

Dwarves have skills & personalities that change over time.  YOU are the little voice in their heads telling them to do things.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question from a noob, What exactly is the objective in Dwarf Fortress?

To be crushed by your enemies, to be driven before them, and to hear the lamentation of your woman.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To reach the max level and rescue the princess!

>.>
Pages: 1 [2] 3