Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constructed walls/floors cause lag?  (Read 7375 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Constructed walls/floors cause lag?
« on: June 14, 2011, 07:22:38 am »

I'll admit it; in all my DF play sessions, my goal almost ALWAYS becomes creating huge castles or other constructions above ground.

Problem is, these forts usually die a slow and painful FPS death. I'm starting to consider that maybe it's because of my massive amount of built walls and floors.

Consider my current fort: ~80 dwarves. I started building my castle with a FPS of ~75. Now, I'm at 35 FPS with my castle half built. My CPU load doubled. I'm afraid it'll drop down to ~20 fps in not too long, which is usually when I give up.

What has happened:

- No significant boost to the number of dwarves (some babies)
- Digging out huge areas underground, including 2 full Z layers.
- Few thousand plants built up in my stockpile. Stopped the majority of my farming operation, and now it hovers around 8k plants with ~2k drinks.
- Several invasions/etc, building up the body count and random clothing items.
- Over 10k constructed walls/floors built.
- About 20 new pets.

A build up of various items (mechanisms, random things like doors/coffins/pots) might be contributing, but my dwarves never really touch those. I've yet to start constructing good bedrooms/etc with furniture, so there's a few thousand of those sitting in my workshops. But as I said, they never touch them. I don't see how those could cause lag.
I *am* mining out a lot of stone, but those items quickly get converted to walls/floors. So, no huge buildup of those.

I thought maybe it was the new space from my mining and construction. That's a lot more floor to check for pathfinding, right? Well, I walled off one of the Z layers that I mined out. No boost to FPS at all. Since I cut off nearly a fourth of the available pathing area, I'd expect *some* boost. I'm no longer so certain the expanded area has much effect.

That leaves my huge amount of constructions. What tips me off that it might be a problem is the stocks screen; it shows over 12k stones, despite most of those being used in constructions. Are they still considered items, and thus pathed to when determining things like finding the nearest stone to build another pot?

As a side note I've already done everything the wiki suggested. Already limited dwarves to 80, set the GFPS to 20, etc. I used DFhack to get rid of all the blood and crap, too. Marginal boosts, but I'd like to be back up to ~75 FPS.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed walls/floors cause lag?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:39:56 am »

If you don't fill up the whole z-level again, it'll still cause lag.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:40:42 am »

Really? Unreachable floor still is considered?
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:42:19 am »

Items that aren't used will still get temperature checks, so unless you turn off temperature you should destroy items you don't use if you want less lag
Constructed walls and floor are not effected (affected?) by temperature, not sure if they do anything else do FPS.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:47:39 am »

Hot damn, temperature was it. Back up to 90 (!!) FPS when turning it off. I had no idea it was that CPU intensive.

Sad though; my ponds/river froze over during the winter and caused some Fun earlier. Don't want to make things easier for myself, but having the game run at less than half speed isn't worth it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:49:23 am by kaijyuu »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 07:57:06 am »

Really? Unreachable floor still is considered?

No, if you wall stuff off it wont be considered for pathfinding.  Any items lying in the unreachable areas (loose stone etc) may still contribute to lag through other means.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:57:12 am »

Hot damn, temperature was it. Back up to 90 (!!) FPS when turning it off.

That's a super-useful observation.  I've added it to the wiki.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:46:23 am »

Hot damn, temperature was it. Back up to 90 (!!) FPS when turning it off. I had no idea it was that CPU intensive.

Sad though; my ponds/river froze over during the winter and caused some Fun earlier. Don't want to make things easier for myself, but having the game run at less than half speed isn't worth it.
Don't forget to set it on again when you want to fry some goblins :P

krag123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 02:12:22 pm »

trash incinerators will not work without temperature on.  So if you like to dump your trash in magma, you may want to every now and then turn it on to burn it.
Join my Mini Trooper Raid Army:
http://rolens-rangers.minitroopers.com

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 02:49:39 pm »

trash incinerators will not work without temperature on.  So if you like to dump your trash in magma, you may want to every now and then turn it on to burn it.
It's usually better to throw garbage into a chasm - note that, for the purpose of items (but not creatures or fluids), "magma flow" tiles behave as chasms.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:21:52 pm »

Hot damn, temperature was it. Back up to 90 (!!) FPS when turning it off.

That's a super-useful observation.  I've added it to the wiki.
And I'd like to say that with my current fort, I have confirmed it. From 30 to 60 FPS. At the very least, it should add 10-20 to your framerate.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 05:56:04 pm »

Have you used path priorities to designate corridors and high-traffic areas? That usually gets me about 10-15 extra FPS.

You can also try building all of the facilities closer together and packing them really tightly. Obviously that would reduce pathfinding lag. Presumably having dozens of dwarves milling about in the meeting area would also cause strain, so maybe assigning idlers to a stationary task like engraving/smoothing would be a good idea.

Semi-molten rock destroys all. It cannot be stopped.

effected (affected?)
Either.
[Signature]