Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Mysterious Human Guild Rep Death  (Read 3750 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c] Mysterious Human Guild Rep Death
« on: April 20, 2008, 04:01:00 am »

I have a fortress save where the human guild representative simply drops dead ten to fifteen seconds into the game. He has no wounds listed. I've run the save a dozen times, and though he'll die in different spots occasionally, he'll always drop dead after a short amount of time.

The save was taken at the arrival of the caravan and guild rep. The rep hasn't spoken to my broker yet at this point, he's only just arrived on the map.

The game is virtually unmodded (only the maturation rate of the dwarven children has been touched).

I would appreciate any insights into the cause of this anomaly. So far, the causes I've thought of are:

• Temperature. (Temperate biome, and disabling temp in init didn't stop death)
  • Enemies. (No skulking enemies found, dies inside of fortress)
  • Wounds. (Trader completely healthy, not bleeding, progressed at one step intervals until dead with no status change)

The only causes I can think of left are:

• Syphilis (elves)
  • Gonorrhea (goblins)
  • Herpes (dwarves)

Save file available on request.

[ April 20, 2008: Message edited by: Jimmy ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Mysterious Human Guild Rep Death
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:59:00 am »

I wonder how old he is...   Get Dwarf Companion, check his age, and then turn on combat reports to see what the death message is.

It might be that he's dying of old age.

v1.1 post update:  Added "of".

[ April 20, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:16:00 am »

Yeah, especially with the new world gen stuff coming in, where it no longer generates a (young to middle-aged) guy from scratch, old age is likely.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:49:00 am »

They must not consider you very important, to send a senile ambassador that can barely survive the journey....

:confused:

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:23:00 am »

That or consider your fortress a deathtrap.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 06:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>That or consider your fortress a deathtrap.</STRONG>

lol.

And i thought players were complaining about the sieges being TOO easy...
 :p

I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:51:00 am »

I had one drop dead recently too.  Not sure if it was related though since A) the trade caravan had just left and he hadn't quite completed the meeting (my broker decided to go to bed right about the same time as the caravan showed up making things somewhat difficult), and B) I wasn't actually looking at him when he died.  Does the game announce if the rep goes berserk?  I assumed (due to location) he went berserk and got torn apart by the 4 lurking war dogs.
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 05:02:00 am »

Age would explain the death. It's quite annoying since that ends all trade agreements for the near future with that civilisation. After all, it's hardly my fault if they send a geriatric who has a myocardial infarct trying to catch my perfectly agile broker.

Guess it's just my bad luck he met his maker on my soil. I'd suggest a fix to prevent guild representatives from being selected at extreme ages.

Y'know, trade reps really don't have an easy life. Awhile ago they used to be ground up in traps, now they keel over dead from the ravages of the long journeys they're forced to endure. It doesn't seem they have particularly promising futures.