Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: There hasn't been a blogpost update in pretty much a week now  (Read 2482 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

AND FOR ALL I KNOW it could be just that Toady took a break, and I would be totally fine with that.
It could also be that he's in the home stretch for the release, which could be rolling out at anytime now.

It's not that DF is the only thing I'm concerned about, but seeing there isn't much happening elsewhere I might as well be stalking over here.

In other words, I smell something fishy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:53:56 pm by DarkDXZ »

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There hasn't been a blogpost update in pretty much a week now
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:20:36 pm »

Nah, that's not at all unusual.  It seems that every now and then Toady is in a period of updating every few days, then goes back into a period of every dozen or so.

It seems that each time there isn't a devblog for, say, a fortnight, people call for a search and rescue team to be dispatched.  Sometimes it's that he's very very busy, sometimes it's been on the home stretch.  It seems that more frequently a break of that sort in devblogs has been because he's been ironing out some chunks of code that, honestly, aren't that sexy, but need to be done.

There are a number of trusted sources on the forums who communicate with Toady on a regular basis.  If there is a real world emergency, one of these persons will initiate the Emergency Dorfcast System.

In the meanwhile, Keep Calm and Strike the Earth.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 03:25:27 pm »

But given how potentially close we're to DF2013's release, it does seem kinda...
Appropriate, for lack of a better word. (in my dictionary, anyway)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:40:32 pm »

I click on this thread, go to the devlog page just to check, and lo and behold. The Toad never fails to deliver...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:30:50 am »

I click on this thread, go to the devlog page just to check, and lo and behold. The Toad never fails to deliver...

Guess it's ANOTHER MONTH of no release.
Eh...

At this rate Half-Life 3 will come out sooner than this release. (not to flame/blame Toady or anything, though)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:56:43 am »

Eh...

At this rate Half-Life 3 will come out sooner than this release. (not to flame/blame Toady or anything, though)

Well, he said he got through 20% of the notes on this release, so...sometime in early fall would be my guess.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 11:07:44 am »

Eh...

Really? We've had a few releases since Episode 2 came out.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 12:38:47 pm »

20% Dev to next update? (4 more years)
20% of release notes (since roughly December, if I recall) would make another 16 months?

But then again, these aren't necessarily linear progressions, so I'm thinking probably Labor Day (U.S. Schedule)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 04:37:22 pm »

The impression I got is that he managed to get through 20% of his notes during the course of this month, but probably didn't spend the entire month working on those notes.  It's also important to remember that the amount of time spent on this sort of this is notoriously hard to predict.  It's possible that the things he was working on now were particularly hard to fix, but a large portion of his notes could be simpler things like "kids probably shouldn't join adventurers in insurrections" as he mentioned in the last DF Talk.

Of course... the opposite line of thinking applies here, but I'd be very surprised if the release didn't happen by July some time.  I can't possibly see it taking until Fall.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 11:00:19 pm »

There are a number of trusted sources on the forums who communicate with Toady on a regular basis.  If there is a real world emergency, one of these persons will initiate the Emergency Dorfcast System.

Reminded me of that one scene from Densha Otoko where everybody swarms Akihabara and throws up less-than-subliminal messages everywhere yelling at Densha/Yamada to get his ass back to the forum.

Oh man that is such a good drama anyone who hasn't watched it absolutely needs to :O

anyway, uh, time to go drown goblins in magma or something.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 03:43:56 am »

Eh...

Well, he said he got through 20% of the notes on this release, so...sometime in early fall would be my guess.
He said it would be by May, several months ago. He never actually said what year he meant, though.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 04:12:32 pm »

My dilemma is worse!
"Must be soon to the next release. I do not wanna start a new world, but wait for the awesome features!"

I am doing this everytime Toady starts to talk about the new stuff.
Because there is never a timetable, I practically stop playing DF because of this :D

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 08:36:10 pm »

It's done when it's done. :D