Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cooperative Magic The Gathering  (Read 2040 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Cooperative Magic The Gathering
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:06:20 pm »

For some time I was frustrated by the fact that MTG is pretty much always competitive. But I devised this little idea to change that, and allow people to get together without getting at each other's throats over it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please tell me what you think, if any details are unanswered, and of course feel free to use it with your friends!

Personally, I think the +1 life bonus is a little weak, but I have yet to playtest this.

You can get yourself set up with apprentice here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:19:33 am by SHAD0Wdump »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cooperative Magic The Gathering
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 11:05:21 pm »

Tested it, it's pretty challenging.

Don't know how multiple players will effect it though, and don't know if the 1 life bonus should be increased or not, it worked mostly as a filler.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:30:19 pm »

I always thought of a Magic the gathering pen and paper game.

The problem is that it requires one of two things

1) Unlimited amounts of cards
or
2) Online gameplay

I rather wanted to try it.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:40:38 am »

I for one would love to try a MTG game where I partner up with someone and then face whatever a Dungeon Master has to throw at us. But I have enough trouble keeping track of my cards to actually do much.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:58:28 am »

I for one would love to try a MTG game where I partner up with someone and then face whatever a Dungeon Master has to throw at us. But I have enough trouble keeping track of my cards to actually do much.
Well that is pretty simple to arrange. For example, the Game Master could set up prearranged encounters with a set of creatures, artifacts, enchantments et cetera and then the players have to overcome the challenge with the decks they have brought and possibly some cards that have carried over from earlier encounters. You could even start with a small, weak deck and award players with better cards for encounters.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 07:20:41 am »

You guys could play it with eachother using Hamachi, Apprentice, and some filesharing. SHADOWdump compiled some links which still work. (I would like to play, but can't bring myself to agree to Hamachi's EULA.)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:16:00 am »

You guys could play it with eachother using Hamachi, Apprentice, and some filesharing. SHADOWdump compiled some links which still work. (I would like to play, but can't bring myself to agree to Hamachi's EULA.)
Ah yes, I think I'll add something there, a patch up to Scars of Mirroden that I developed myself using magic set editor.
 I also added some custom cards in a unique set just for the hell of it, don't expect balance.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 04:23:54 am »

Competitiveness was pretty much the whole point of card games.
However, there have been some new things devised, to make mogic less serious, and more casual and fun
For example: Elder Dragon Highlander, or Archenemy, or a couple other different formats made for casual fun.