Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Equipping multiple shields  (Read 16231 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Equipping multiple shields
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:02:56 am »

Can I force a dwarf to carry multiple shields?

If so...

Does this prevent the dwarf from carrying a weapon?
Can the dwarf still use wrestling/striking?
Will the dwarf simply bash with the shields every time?
Does it offer a double layer of blocking or will the dwarf only use one shield at a time depending on the highest block roll?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping multiple shields
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:29:56 am »

Dual shields - yes, you assign two shields to the uniform like you would assign two mail shirts.
Weapon and dual shields - no, you only have two hands.
Wrestling with dual shields - Unknown, but they have no empty grasping hands, so it's unlikely that they'll wrestle, punch, etc.  They can still bite and kick.
Shield bashing - Very yes.  Copper is the best vanilla material for its weight, as it's a blunt move.  Modded silver armor makes for good shields, but no other good protection.
Double blocking - Unknown, but I suspect yes, they will gain additional deflection checks.  If DF combat follows traditional formats, then the attacker strikes, and the defender rolls to shield block, rolls to parry, rolls to dodge, and then rolls for armor penetration and damage.  It would make sense that it would roll a shield twice, but you never know.  Best method of testing would be to drop dwarves with dual shields and dwarves with one shield in separate pits, and use Runesmith of DFusion to make them enemies, and then fire bolts at them.  If they die at relatively similar times, they don't gain defense.  If the one survives significantly longer, then they gain defense.  Scumsave as needed to compare random dice roll results.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:37:49 am »

Wrestling with dual shields - Unknown, but they have no empty grasping hands, so it's unlikely that they'll wrestle, punch, etc.  They can still bite and kick.
From what I've seen, dwarves with both hands occupied can still punch.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:04:12 am »

From what I've seen, dwarves with both hands occupied can still punch.

Yes, they can punch as usual. But they can't wrestle with the occupied hands, meaning no tearing off ears and all the fun stuff. It's possible in adventurer mode to stuff all the shields and weapons onto one hand while leaving the other empty for wrestling by messing around with your inventory though.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:44:01 am »

Yes, you can have a free hand in adventure mode while wielding more shields than you have hairs, but is it necessary? You can still wrestle by grabbing people with your arms.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:22:30 pm »

You need a grasping hand to perform certain locks and joint breaks.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:00:05 pm »

Really? I've been breaking joints just fine with my adventurer's left thigh. Stealing weapons, gouging eyes and such requires a free grasp, but I think that's pretty much it.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 01:05:51 pm »

Really?  Hmm, I need to play more adventure then...

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 02:45:44 pm »

Weapon and dual shields - yes.
My military has 2 picks and 2 shields. They still sever limbs from emenies.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 03:54:57 pm »

I've set up an area for testing but I am having trouble getting the goblins to shoot at the dwarves. How do I do this? I set the goblins as invaders with the civilization -1 (which was default). I set the dwarves to civilization 1.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 03:57:47 pm »

The bug causes it. You can carry infinite amount of items in your hands if you 'r'emove them from your backpack. But it's not a supposed behavior, so I rarely abuse it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 04:15:06 pm »

Nevermind. Seems the goblins can't attack the dwarves from that position for some reason. Redesigning the arena.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 05:01:13 pm »

Ok, preliminary test.

There are 42 pairs of combatants, each pair being completely isolated from the others. In all pairings, the goblin had a 1x1 tile, separated from the dwarf by a single tile wide pit with 7/7 water. The dwarf was placed in the back of a 3x1 room with a clear line of fire to the goblin.

Every goblin was a grand master marksman and grand master crossbow user, and was equipped with an adamantine crossbow and 100 steel bolts. Every dwarf was a grand master shield user, half of which had a single iron shield and the other half with 2 iron shields. None of the combatants had any other equipment besides what was specified, including clothing. Every combatant had average racial attributes, but random traits.

When all the goblins ran out of ammo/killed their dwarf, I tallied the results:

All but 1 single shield user died to goblin fire. The remaining one was wounded.
Of the dual shield users, 3 died from weapon fire, 2 fell in the water and drowned, and the rest were unharmed.

The single shield users are on the left, and the dual shield users on the right.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:23:51 pm by Lagslayer »

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 07:57:29 pm »

The blood splatters alone seem very conclusive as to whether dual shields provide dual defense.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 11:04:43 pm »

Well played, dear friend.  The drowning deaths shouldn't factor in, if done right you should have included wall grates, but then again you can't do that in arena so we'll cut some slack.  I approve of this science.
Pages: [1] 2