Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very sweet .25 map I generated the other day  (Read 3441 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Very sweet .25 map I generated the other day
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:37:31 pm »

Pretty close to ideal map.

Tiny region.  Lots of volcanos.  There's one really nice 4x4 embark location.

Great place for a new player or a builder-style player.  Combat junkies will likely get bored, though I haven't bothered finding the caverns yet, so I might be mistaken about that :)

I've run this embark up to 7 years and 150+ dwarves twice and haven't gotten bored with it yet.

It's a great place to experiment with water + magma obsidian farming or traps - without having to fight with pump stacks.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4521

(I linked the wrong place first, sorry)

First time I've ever used DF Hack - got a rundown of the prospect report:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:51:11 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very sweet .25 map I generated the other day
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:32:14 am »

Looks like a few people found it and gave it a shot - any comments?

Anyone actually dig for caverns yet and see how they look?

Yes, I'm a minimalist - I have everything I need within 6 Z levels of the embark surface, lol, so I haven't done any looking down below except for where the water falling into the volcano made an obsidian bullet and punched through the bottom of the volcano and made the magma sea visible at around -60Z 

I'll probably save scum and dig down to look for the caverns later today.  :)
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:55:36 am »

Nah, haven't dug down. So far I've SPEED:0'd the dwarves and dug out a magma forge area. And dug out enough galena and native gold to pave the streets, whenever I get around to making streets. And apparently there are two candy pillars in close proximity to each other (discovered via that obsidian bullet), so when I feel like it I'll dig for those...

How did you manage to get volcanoes and water in such close proximity to each other? I've been trying but it's bloody hard.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Krabocopter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:17:27 pm »

gen a region with lots of rivers and volcanoes  8)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:23:28 pm »

gen a region with lots of rivers and volcanoes  8)

>.> Well yeah, but what specific worldgen properties are needed to cause many rivers as well as tons of volcanoes?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:36:12 pm »

Yeah I started a little fort on one of the volcanos.  Kinda quiet so I reckon i'll try and extract the settings and regenerate in fortress defense or something.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 02:15:54 pm »

This particular set of instructions caused lots of failures.  I had to click continue after elevation low and elevation high errors about 10 times before it pushed this world through.  I'll redlight the things I can remember having changed, and comment on why.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edited to include notes on variances in the spoiler
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:32:53 pm by Farmerbob »

Vaugher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 02:21:32 pm »

So, why's it so quiet? Goblins not attacking or something?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:23:12 pm »

Here's some pure conjecture about the river count.

First - drainage.
Second - larger temperate zone.
Third - erosion.

The combination of more drainage with more land where liquid water can exist, plus erosion systems being highly active seems to make sense to me for lots of rivers forming.  I didn't plan for it - I wanted each of those three things for different reasons, but thinking back it does follow why there might be lots of rivers in a world gen like this.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 02:25:54 pm »

So, why's it so quiet? Goblins not attacking or something?

In the first and longest fort, I had three mega/forgotten beasts attacks and a couple goblin ambushes in 7 years, and after about year 4 I got two goblin seiges.

It doesn't stay quiet, but it starts fairly quiet.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 01:53:09 am »

Starting to experiment with using outside tools.  Don't think I'll be using any mods per se, but DFprospector-text gave some very nice information.  I've added the prospect report to the top post.